Mentoring Network

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dear Breeder Members,

It is with great hope that I write to you all today to ask a huge favor ... I have been wanting to develop a sort of network of breeder/members here who would be willing to generously give of their time/knowledge/experience to those who are just starting out or who are considering breeding as a serious advocation. I would like to see a good response to this as there are many out there who need you and what you can offer to them in the way of knowledge.

If you are an experienced breeder (breed doesn't matter - the more the merrier!) and would like to give freely of your time and knowledge, please PM me and let me know. We'll work out the details and start pairing you up with those in need after the 1st of the new year.

Thanks in advance to those who choose to volunteer for this project. We need you!

Yours, as always, from the heart,

Gaye

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gaye, this is a WONDERFUL idea! I want to start breeding just to support this
OK, I'm too chicken, but still, I really think this is a great idea! I know nothing about breeding, but if you can think of anything I can do to help, you've got my support!

Tiffany

baybrooke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a new Persian breeder and really need the advise and help of experienced breeders . I would greatly appreciate your time and input.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Gaye,

I feel you have a wonderful suggestion to help newer breeders. I feel I have some knowledge to share with, but I also feel I am still a newbie myself compared to some of these long time breeders. After years of learning, it seems there is so much more to continue learning. If you go forward with the mentoring program, I would be more than willing to help answer questions when I can ,and learn in other areas where I may not know as much.

I feel you, Goldenkitty, and, Kai Bengals, have all been a great help to me on this forum, and of course I can't forget my mentors who have helped me as well.

The more we can all learn from one another, the better for us and our programs.

Respectfully,
Stormi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Baybrooke

I am a new Persian breeder and really need the advise and help of experienced breeders . I would greatly appreciate your time and input.
Welcome to TCS, Baybrooke! We are glad you found us and look forward to hearing more about you and your cats! Please feel free to start a new thread to introduce yourself.

If you will send me a Private Message, then I can put you in the list of people looking for a mentor - I am going to to be pairing up people after the 1st of the year.

Again, welcome to the Site!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags

Hi Gaye,

I feel you have a wonderful suggestion to help newer breeders. I feel I have some knowledge to share with, but I also feel I am still a newbie myself compared to some of these long time breeders. After years of learning, it seems there is so much more to continue learning. If you go forward with the mentoring program, I would be more than willing to help answer questions when I can ,and learn in other areas where I may not know as much.

I feel you, Goldenkitty, and, Kai Bengals, have all been a great help to me on this forum, and of course I can't forget my mentors who have helped me as well.

The more we can all learn from one another, the better for us and our programs.

Respectfully,
Stormi
Hi Stormi!

You know, I always look forward to your posts. You are always very thoughtful and thorough! I can't wait for this program to get underway after the 1st. I think it is going to do a lot of good for cats.

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great idea. I am a newer Persian Breeder and advise and help from the experienced would be wonderful!!!!

pawsandwhiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

I'm new on the site but think this is a great idea. I have owned British shorthairs for ten years and I am now starting to breed on a very small scale. In fact i think my 1 year old queen is hopefully pregnant now. She was mated on 8th March but seemed to stay in season for a couple of days after. I thought they usually went out of season within 24hours but not sure as its my first time!! I can't be 100% sure it was a successful mating as it was my partner who witnessed it. But the last few days her nipples do seem bigger and shes eating lots! Although she is a bit of a piggy anyway!!

I also would love to speak to someone about some advice re stud boys! I have got a lovely boy who is now 9 months old. I would ideally like to keep him as a stud as he has the most fantastic temperament and is gorgeous. He hasn't sprayed in the house at all yet so he stll sleeps on my bed etc. Even with a queen in season he didn't spray or anything although was very interested. What age do they normally start spraying and is it true that some males with no competition don't? As the BSH grow slowly I like to leave the boys longer before neutering them anyway to allow them to get their cheeks! I know some people think you should neuter as early as poss but i NEVER let them out and I leave it later for their sake. I have just had my bengal boy neutered at 6 months as I am def only concentrating on the British at this point!

Any advice welcomed!! Sorry for the essay!

Also how do i post pics of them!

Thanks! Emily

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pm'd you
Count me in as one that can help a newbie

Bred and showed rexes and Russian Blue - can help out with breeding and/or grooming in both long/short hairs. And any show info.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pawsandwhiskers

Even with a queen in season he didn't spray or anything although was very interested. What age do they normally start spraying and is it true that some males with no competition don't?
Hi and welcome to TCS - All un-neutered males spray to mark their territory, whether there are females about or not - generally its about 5mths - so maybe your boy is just late in maturing
so I would think it wont be long before he does and as you know thats not easy to clean the smell away

Originally Posted by pawsandwhiskers

Also how do i post pics of them!

Thanks! Emily
you can either attach them using the 'paperclip' icon, or if you have an account with a photo-hosting web page you can post you links or the photos from there - please check in Fur Pictures about rules of photo posting

pawsandwhiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great thanks, I'll try find the message!! Sure I'll get the hang of it soon! Its very exciting trying for furry babies but also quite daunting as I want to do everything right!

pawsandwhiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I assumed all males would spray but a friend has got a BSH boy whos 18 moths and still doesn't spray. Maybe its just that they take so long to develop, as my alfie is nowhere near full grown. We have to make the decision as to whether he's good enough example to be a stud in which case as soon as he does he'll have to have his own quarters! Or if we decide no and only to use outside studs in future i'll have him neutered. He's a lovely boy!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to disagree but ALL males do not spray. I owned a cornish rex male who never sprayed - he had run of the house and never mated with my queen unless she was in season.

He also was the only unneutered male in the house. Granted 90% will spray, but sometimes you get lucky
You might also have a male that is ok with not spraying. Just keep in mind that if he starts, you will have to cage him

pawsandwhiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thats interesting, well fingers crossed he won't but yeah if he does we'll obviously have to change the living arrangments! He's quite well developed if you know what I mean so I was surpised when the spraying didn't start, as was my vet! But he may well start up soon!

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Sorry to disagree but ALL males do not spray. I owned a cornish rex male who never sprayed - he had run of the house and never mated with my queen unless she was in season.

He also was the only unneutered male in the house. Granted 90% will spray, but sometimes you get lucky
You might also have a male that is ok with not spraying. Just keep in mind that if he starts, you will have to cage him
You are very correct, I have been blessed with 2 Ragdoll males, that have NEVER sprayed, but then I have a female who does.
My 2 boys have a large room with cat trees, and stay together, they are best of buds, and snuggle together. One was very slow to mature, but even he is almost 3 and still has no clue how to spray. The boys can also get socialization and love in the rest of the house, we just either know to keep close supervision, to prevent unwanted breeding, or let the girls go into the bedroom, and even then they don't mark.
I have had a Ragdoll male that sprayed, funny enough, is after having 2 males that didn't spray, I am not sure if he was average or just a hoser. My hope is he was a hoser, and that most males don't spray quite that much, but hopefully when the time comes to find another male for our program, he won't spray either!!
On my female who sprayed, we used the Feliway, and it does curb the behavior MOST of the way, but if we forget to keep up with the Feliway, she lets us know.

I have never heard of any of our adult kittens ever having marking, or having litter box issues. Of course that may be the result of altering early, but our neuters have never had litter box issues. "Knock on wood"

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My guy, Tonka hoses this house down like it is on fire. He comes from a long line of very heavily spraying males. I am such a lucky person when it comes to these things.

siamese4me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As of yet, my male is not a sprayer. He has done it a couple of times but there were circumstances that changed in the environment. Other than that, he hasn't done it. "knock on wood" I hope that he doesn't start in the future! :-)

pawsandwhiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's good to hear from other people that they don't always! I really hope mine keeps up his good behavious as I love having him in the house and I think we'd both find it hard if it has to change now! Keep your fingers crossed for me! For those who's males do spray - at what age did it start? Thanks!