recurring eye infections

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello.

So PJ, in addition to her HyperT and now hair loss (though she is cleaning her belly less, which is where the loss was), PJ has a recurring eye infection that comes back everyone 6-8 months. It's only in her left eye. It clears up very quickly with Terramycin, and our vet has us give her a 7 day, 3x/day course.

PJ gets 500mg of l-lysine in her food once a day. I know that's rumored to help with things like this, though I wonder why the infection keeps coming back. She's checked out by the vet every time she has an infection and nothing else is wrong with her eye.

Is there any other preventative measure I can take with her, or will she just keep having the infections? We've perfected the kitty burrito method so when we get a hold of her, the medicine goes right in - even though she does try to clean it off immediately. Inevitably, even with that factor, she clears up in about 4 days and we complete the 7 day course.

Thanks!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shambelle

Hello.

So PJ, in addition to her HyperT and now hair loss (though she is cleaning her belly less, which is where the loss was), PJ has a recurring eye infection that comes back everyone 6-8 months. It's only in her left eye. It clears up very quickly with Terramycin, and our vet has us give her a 7 day, 3x/day course.

PJ gets 500mg of l-lysine in her food once a day. I know that's rumored to help with things like this, though I wonder why the infection keeps coming back. She's checked out by the vet every time she has an infection and nothing else is wrong with her eye.

Is there any other preventative measure I can take with her, or will she just keep having the infections? We've perfected the kitty burrito method so when we get a hold of her, the medicine goes right in - even though she does try to clean it off immediately. Inevitably, even with that factor, she clears up in about 4 days and we complete the 7 day course.

Thanks!
I am wondering what breed of cat you have, I suspect it is Persian because Persians have a much higher incidence of eye problems because of their large round eyes. When I comb and brush my cat every day (at least once) I make sure to clean his eyes out at the same time and he has not had any problems like the books say he is prone to have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

I am wondering what breed of cat you have, I suspect it is Persian because Persians have a much higher incidence of eye problems because of their large round eyes. When I comb and brush my cat every day (at least once) I make sure to clean his eyes out at the same time and he has not had any problems like the books say he is prone to have.
Nope - PJ is a DSH.