Green Vomit, lots of it: Sleepy 6 mo old kitten

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got home from surgery (elective, cosmetic, so I have no excuse) and one of my two kittens let out a long wail and proceeded to vomit half his weight in green vomit. I just brought plants in for the winter and I'm wondering if he got something poisonous that I misidentified. I am going over with digital photos to garden web to identify all my plants because I think it's the one I thought was English Ivy that he has eaten. There is also Coleus. Any references to poisonous plants for kittens? That is my next search.

I know he is sick and dehydrated because I did the pinch test and his inner eyelids are showing when his eyes are open--someone told me that was a bad sign. He has been sleeping with me ever since. We are all a mess. His brother is crying too.

I'll get him to the vet and myself to the doc tomorrow somehow. Any advice until then, is appreciated. I am now warming up a towel to put under him and know how to make homemade pedialyte and get it into him, which I will do. I feel like such crap though. Today is probably the worst day after surgery on my neck!

Yesterday I weighed them. Gray stripe Boo is 6.1 pounds and Peeka is 6.7 pounds and they are about five to six months old.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I may take him to the emergency vet tonight. this doesn't sound great.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the Cat Fancier's info link:http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html As they say, please get to vet ASAP. There is also a Poison Help link...Sending {{{{{{mega prayers and vibes}}}}}} to your two incredibly gorgeous boys, and also healing vibes to you! What a nightmare - PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED! Meanwhile, we're keeping you & your crew in our thoughts and prayers
Susan & kits

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, it's not English Ivy. That one is outside. I have to figure out what this other plant is then I am going to try to get him to the vet. I figure if it's green it's probably plant he ate, right?

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mom of 4. I know he needs medical attention but I cannot drive this way or I will kill someone. I'm on pain meds and can't move my neck! I'm wrapped up like a mummy. So, I'm trying to find a ride. In the meantime, and it's not looking good, I need to find the recipe to Pedialyte. He is definitely dehydrated. Knowing what the plant is is incredibly helpful, thanks soosoooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you call someone to TAKE HIM to a ER VET NOW

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nobody wants to do that for me. I'm calling around now to talk to the vets.

I found the pedialyte recipe:

one cup water boiled then cooled
2 tsps sugar
pinch of baking soda
small pinch of salt

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Here is the Cat Fancier's info link:http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html As they say, please get to vet ASAP. There is also a Poison Help link...Sending {{{{{{mega prayers and vibes}}}}}} to your two incredibly gorgeous boys, and also healing vibes to you! What a nightmare - PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED! Meanwhile, we're keeping you & your crew in our thoughts and prayers
Susan & kits
Thank you for that link! Someone gave me lillies last week...they are beautiful...don't know what kind they are but I am taking no chances. They are going into the trash.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I do create a thread I like to include the links for people doing searches.

http://www.meowhoo.com/Cat_Health/On...rol/index.html
Here is another resource for poisonous plants. Swedish Ivy is NOT on it; thank God.

Boo just woke up and is eating his dry food. That eyelid thing is gone. The pedialyte is cooling.

Thanks so very much for the thoughts and prayers; I can almost see him looking better. I know he is still dehydrated and needs a vet but I also know he will make it through the night. At least at this point. He is all wide eyed right now, sniffing around for something to do....

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to read that he's doing better
What a relief, seeing as to how you are in no shape to drive
Bless you for not going behind the wheel - I understand how desperate you feel, but the risk of a car accident is too, too great and I shudder to even consider the possible tragedies that could occur.
When I was a kid, we had a cat who was vomiting green vomit - my dad said it was poison and gave the cat cream, a little at a time, from a teaspoon. The cat did live, but I wouldn't recommend taking these matters into one's own hands these days, since vets are readily available almost anywhere these days. When I was a child, we had one vet who was basically a large animal vet - his territory covered about 100 miles, north and south, so pet owners were pretty much on their own.

girlieq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rowan was puking something green one day, as soon as I got back from a sleepover. His 'daddy' had to work all that night, so the poor abandoned kittens had no-one to love them. I chalked it up to him being obnoxiously whiney and needy when I'm gone, and threw away the sage that he'd obviously been chewing on.