kitten grunting

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dynah-Bear was originally named Bear from our resuce litter because she didn't mew, she sort of grunted. Even now, 2 months later she still has a "raspyish" voice...almost siamese. She's a black and white tuxedo, but her brother Noir is very oriental looking.
The vet has checked her respitory system thoroughly so no health concerns, just a kitten quirk.
Was wondering if a) anyone had any cats that didn't "mew" or "meow" as is expected. and b) anyone knew of any other breeds that have a different meow like a siamese does.
I love her so much, and I'm so glad I adopted her. Her unique meow just makes her that much more special.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

Dynah-Bear was originally named Bear from our resuce litter because she didn't mew, she sort of grunted. Even now, 2 months later she still has a "raspyish" voice...almost siamese. She's a black and white tuxedo, but her brother Noir is very oriental looking.
The vet has checked her respitory system thoroughly so no health concerns, just a kitten quirk.
Was wondering if a) anyone had any cats that didn't "mew" or "meow" as is expected. and b) anyone knew of any other breeds that have a different meow like a siamese does.
I love her so much, and I'm so glad I adopted her. Her unique meow just makes her that much more special.
My old cat Sweetie Pie made a clicking noise instead of meowing. Even as a newborn she didnt meow. Her nickname was Clicker.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Scarlett made really strange sounds when she was young. She is very vocal, always announcing her arrival in a room or when she hops up in bed with you. As a kitten, she made a sound that sounded sort of like a grunted "errrr". I had friends staying with me one time and I warned them about her sounds. One morning as they were just waking up, Scarlett walks into their bedroom and announces herself. Even though I was on the other end of the house, I hear Doug cry out "what the h*ll was that?", followed by a loud giggle from Nancy. Nancy figured out first that what she was hearing was a kitten.

Scarlett's noises have gotten more cat like over the years, but she still has somewhat of a gutteral meow. Scarlett is a ginger tabby and her mother was a torbie. Who knows what her father was (she was born feral).

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mosi chirrups and trills but I've never heard a normal meow from him. The nearest he gets to one is his "feed me", "play with me", "get up" wail
He's a Somali and they're known for being chirrupers! Jaffa has a slightly raspy voice and sounds more like a human baby than a cat.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo only meows when she's demanding something. That can be raspy and loud!
Most of the time she trills and chirps. I have heard that the 'meow' is a sort of dumbed-down catspeak aimed specifically at humans, while the chirps and trills are intended for other cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, I do have whiskers (wax em) and she does know me as mom so that'd make sense