Nooo! My leather couch :(

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of you in denial who will say that "My cat won't scratch or destroy my furniture, they haven't yet!" The key word is "yet"

We've had Reeses for about 3 weeks. We also have 2 leather couches (sofa/love seat) that we purchased from the original owner. They're of the softer more "worn in/cracked" leather look. I guess she paid $1200 for both which is fairly cheap am I right? Anyway, Reeses in this whole time never scratched at them. I found a pin hole or scratch here or there from her jumping off or walking on either one of them, but nothing major. Only in the past week or so we noticed her scratching at them but never found any damage after she did it. Well today I heard her scratching again, went and looked and
probably 20+ pinholes/poking threads on the side of the sofa. She must have done it while I was out of the house because earlier she scratched in the same general area and I looked for damage and didn't see it.

Now obviously, I'm irritated, but not mad at her. It's her instinct although we've done the best we can to get her to not scratch things she's not supposed to (I've already found a few tiny wallpaper rips...) She has a scratching post, but will not use it. We were recommended one of those corrugated cardboard scratching box things and I think we're going to pick one up. A girl I work with says she's never seen a cat not use it. Hopefully Reeses does and will stop scratching other things. According to her previous owner she never scratched when he had her except for her scratching pad (which I wish he had given us now)

So, I guess my wife and I will have to look for some slip covers. Not that the damage is entirely visible. I clipped the threads the best I could so all that's left now are holes. But more for down the road. I'd rather cover the couch now than have her completely destroy it later.

I just wish my wife would get home so I can get the news over with

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear that. I hate when the cats have a scratching fit on the furniture. Duke seems to also like a certain bit of wall to flex his scratching musles on. I have never had leather furniture but I know they can destroy a fabric loveseat pretty well too.

Hope your wife dosn't take it too badly

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would highly suggest purchasing some Soft Claws for her (they are little acrylics that go over her nails and keep her from scratching at things- they work wonderfully!
)

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the world of cats. There are sprays to keep them from scratching your furniture.
Sadly I was unaware of the dangers of declawing and my four are front declawed. Please don't ever do it. I feel terrible that I never had any information about it before I did it. Now I wish I could turn back the hands of time and undo the damage.
My cats have sisal just about everything and love to rub their paws on it. Maybe you could try getting a cat tower with sisal on it, cutting you cats claws or even soft claws( they slip on their claws and keep them from destroying things).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll look into the soft claws as well.

I would never declaw. In fact I almost got into a pretty big argument with my mother in-law over it. We were talking about the cat scratching and she mentioned how my wife's aunt had her cats declawed because they were destroying everything. I immediately got defensive and said I'd NEVER do that and proceeded to tell her what it actually was. She pretty much seemed dis-interested in what I had to say about it.

Thankfully her cat still has it's claws

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmmm. We live in Germany, where declawing is illegal. We deliberately buy leather furniture, because we've found that it doesn't tempt cats to sharpen their claws. We provide lots of alternatives, like cat trees, scratching posts, wall mats, and throw rugs, plus some "junk upholstered chairs", and the only scratches on our leather furniture are from "overexuberance", i.e., accidental. We have a handmade oriental rug in the living room, but otherwise stone tiles, parquet, or laminate.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am really glad to see that Reeses is feeling better

Now you will see the REAL cat.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Hmmmm. We live in Germany, where declawing is illegal. We deliberately buy leather furniture, because we've found that it doesn't tempt cats to sharpen their claws. We provide lots of alternatives, like cat trees, scratching posts, wall mats, and throw rugs, plus some "junk upholstered chairs", and the only scratches on our leather furniture are from "overexuberance", i.e., accidental. We have a handmade oriental rug in the living room, but otherwise stone tiles, parquet, or laminate.
I wish declawing were outlawed here in the US like it is in Germany. Poor Jasmine was declawed by her former owners before she was dumped off at the shelter i was volunteering at when I found her.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish it were illegal too, then my babies would've been spared the stupidity of their owners. I also wish there was more information given out by vets about the dangers of declawing and then they give you something like an informational packet to show you what you are ACTUALLY doing to your animal. Unfortunately it's to late for mine, but I can inform others not to be as stupid as I was.
Thankfully you are not going to declaw your baby. Good luck retraining her and getting the to love sisal and the soft claws.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sweetest day gift was a new leather couch. but both my cats have their claws. Dan said if he found one hole...they would HAVE to get declawed. ( i say no way) Well...thus far there have been no holes but I have a feeling stewie will start once he gets older since mikey does it every now and then on the chairs. copy cats ya know.

I'm going to try for one of those box thingys myself.