cat peeing on my bed

melina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lately my cat has started peeing on my bed. She does it about twice a day. She doesn't have UTI because I checked and her pee is not bloody or pinkish unless its not always. My roommate recently got a dog so maybe that has something to do with it but she really doesn't seem like she's afraid of the dog. Once I even caught her playing with him. I put a plastic cover over my bed and she doesn't do it anymore but when I didn't have it she peed sometimes even pooped. One time I got out of bed for 5 mins and she peed on it while I was gone.

A little history
I found her outside about 2 years ago. She was fine nothing was wrong with her. I moved into a new apartment a year ago and after being there for about 2 months she started peeing and pooping on my roommate’s beds. She did that for about 1 month and we got her to stop because they would shut their doors so she couldn’t get in. I do have another cat (male cat) I had him way before her so I don't know if it is because of him. He does chase her a lot and she always runs away from him but they have been around each other for 2 years so I’m not sure. Now the dog we had for about 3 weeks and she started her peeing again about a week ago. Its only my bed now that she's peeing on.

I’m not sure if this is a UTI but to me it seems like it could be the dog or even my cat.
HELP I don't know what to do with her.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Urinary infections can be quite invisible - as a first step I would get her vetchecked. It could be the stress of the dog has brought on an infection.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely possitively pissed of at you because of the dog!!!!!!!!!! I say this with the most confidence, it has happened to me in the past!!! My beloved Pandi would pee, sometimes poop, on my bed only when I would go away for more then 3 days and someone else would look after her! And I mean every time ! She is very upset with you for the dog suddenly in what she thought was a happy family already.......Cats are smart, where do we spend the most time when we are home? Our bed! They know exactly what they are doing, you just need to figure out how to explain the situation to her and allow her to feel ok with it, she needs reassurance that she did'nt do anything wrong and you still love her as much as before! Possibly some help having her own space to if she is always hideing from the dog.....

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second getting her checked by a vet. I'm pretty sure there isn't always blood with a UTI.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

I second getting her checked by a vet. I'm pretty sure there isn't always blood with a UTI.
No there is not always blood visible, but this is a designated area she has choosen to do no. 1 and sometimes no. 2!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

No there is not always blood visible, but this is a designated area she has choosen to do no. 1 and sometimes no. 2!
However, there is nothing to lose, and much to gain by having her checked out. Just because it is in one place doesn't mean it's not a UTI, or some other health issue. Just because it wasn't in your cat's case doesn't mean that there isn't a health issue here. There is a possibility, so it is worth it. It's definitely a place to start when dealing with behavioral issues...making sure that they're not rooted in a physical problem. When you rule that out, then you can deal with it behaviorally.

katje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she is not pissed at you, she is loving you. As strange as this sounds, she feels uncertain with a new pet in the house, especially a dog, and is therefore stressed. you are her loving owner who provides comfort in periods of hardship, such as this, and where is your smell the most present? right.. the place where you spend at least 8 hours a day. What does she do to comfort herself especially when you aint around? She mixes her scent with yours to get reassurance that way.

She's also more likely to come and cuddle, and mark you as her own. You probably also pet this dog and right now, thats her rival, so she needs to make sure he knows you are hers...
The plastic sheet works to prevent it because it prevents the soaking in, which they want with urine, and it prevents the mix of smells.

Ive had the exact same situation about a year ago and i still use plastic covering on my bed, although it hasnt been necessary for over a month now. (im paranoid, she s relapsed too many times)
Give her time to get used to the dog, play with her, make sure she feels like she isnt losing you and her position, and make sure the dog does not bully her. In time, she wont feel the need to do this anymore. Until then, keep a plastic sheet within range always. (btw, mine used to do this on the couch aswell ,since thats the second soft spot in the house you spend a lot of time on so watch out
)