Am I a Grinch?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Christmas, I really do, but I hate putting up the tree. Every year DH has to convince me that it's a good idea to do so. The people I work with have started calling me "The Grinch". It's not that I hate the holiday, but I just think redecorating my entire apartment for three weeks is a bit much! Can someone help me get a little more into the holiday spirit?

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never put up and tree or lights. To much trouble plus the animals would destroy it in a couple days. Kitten and Jada (dog) are both climbers. If Kittens climbs something Jada follows and procedes to destroy whatever it is because she weighs 25 lbs and Kitten only weighs 9.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You aren't a grinch. I don't like the idea of putting thte tree up. Well actually its the taking it down I hate.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I like Christmas, I really do, but I hate putting up the tree. Every year DH has to convince me that it's a good idea to do so. The people I work with have started calling me "The Grinch". It's not that I hate the holiday, but I just think redecorating my entire apartment for three weeks is a bit much! Can someone help me get a little more into the holiday spirit?
I sure can't help you
I'm thinking I'm not going to either. With 8 cats in the house what's the sence
I'll be yelling at them full time and I don't think that's fair to them, they don't know it's not for them
If you find anything that makes it seem like the thing to do let me know

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol...you won't get any help from me heather
i've already decorated everything
if your hubby wants the house decorated- maybe he could offer to help you a bit so you both can get it done easier

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't put up decs either, too much hassle and I'm lazy
I suggest you get a copy of the song and start playing it at your desk

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I don't put up decs either, too much hassle and I'm lazy
I suggest you get a copy of the song and start playing it at your desk

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's wrong with not decorating for xmas?
I 've never decorated for any holiday and I'm fine with that. I'm not a grinch, just a person with little time and energy and to add decorating for holidays just would be horrible to me. One year I put up a wreath my best friend made for me but that was the extent of my holiday decorating. After that, nothing. I just don't want to, or have time to and noone can tell me different.
If your co workers are calling you a grinch, them tell them, "ok if you want me to decorate, come over and decorate the place yourselves, BUT after the holidays, you have to come BACK over and take it all down." I bet they won't bother you again.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't think a tree is the center piece of holiday spirit, but if you need help getting into the spirit, I can type Christmas Carols at you, and I would encourage you to do home and simmer some Christmas baking scents in a small pot of water - that should help!

I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum...

I, said the cow, all white and red, I gave him my manger for a bed, I gave him my hay to pillow his head, I said the cow, all white and red...
...I, said the dove, from the rafters high, I cooed him to sleep that he should not cry, we cooed him to sleep, my love and I, I said the dove, from the rafters high.

Did that help?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I love my tree when it is up, and normally don't mind putting it up, but hate taking it down. I've been decorating the house this week, and I'm not really into it this year. I feel like I am forcing myself to do it. I'm sure I will be happy when it is decorated, but right now it feels like a chore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Well, I don't think a tree is the center piece of holiday spirit, but if you need help getting into the spirit, I can type Christmas Carols at you, and I would encourage you to do home and simmer some Christmas baking scents in a small pot of water - that should help!

I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum...

I, said the cow, all white and red, I gave him my manger for a bed, I gave him my hay to pillow his head, I said the cow, all white and red...
...I, said the dove, from the rafters high, I cooed him to sleep that he should not cry, we cooed him to sleep, my love and I, I said the dove, from the rafters high.

Did that help?
It put a smile on my face.... so yes it did! Thanks honey!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always pop in a fave Christmas movie. Something light and entertaining. Works every year to get me in the mood. Try National Lampoons Christmas Vacation or Elf. They'll have you stringing popcorn and cranberries in no time.

Wait, scratch that. The boys would eat it.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't feel bad. I love the tree when it's up, but always have a heck of a time finding the necessary time to get it out and unpacked and up. I don't believe in having decorations up weeks ahead, so it falls into a busy time; and i don't believe in having decorations up after Epiphany, so there's a bit of a crunch to get them down again. Some years it happens and some years it doesn't. If we expect to do any significant amount of holiday entertaining, I make the effort, but there's too much computer debris all over the place to be thinking of serious entertaining this year, so who knows what will happen.

Whatever. Do whatever works for you, and never mind your coworkers -- you should be enjoying the season, not giving yourself the guilts about a few decorations.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just think redecorating my entire apartment for three weeks is a bit much! Can someone help me get a little more into the holiday spirit?
Sorry, I can't help you
I think the same thing, LOL The year I bought my 7 foot artificial tree, I was excited about putting it up. Then I realized part way through how much time it would take to string the lights and put the ornaments on it etc. I couldn't muster the energy to take it down after Christmas because I was still fed up with how long it took to decorate. That tree sat in my living room until June the following year. I've never put it up since, LOL

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the best investments I ever made was buying an artificial tree aleady strung with lights and that only comes in 4 pieces: the stand, the bottom, the middle, and the top. You just pop them all together, connect the plugs, and plug it into the wall. Whallah!

The limbs unfold like a big umbrella. AND if you miss the smell of a fresh tree I recommend a pine scented air freshener.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're not alone. I hate putting it up, too. I can never get Pat to help me with it, so it's just me trying to lug it out and assemble a tree while keeping three cats out of it. They love to put up the tree!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

One of the best investments I ever made was buying an artificial tree aleady strung with lights and that only comes in 4 pieces: the stand, the bottom, the middle, and the top. You just pop them all together, connect the plugs, and plug it into the wall. Whallah!

The limbs unfold like a big umbrella. AND if you miss the smell of a fresh tree I recommend a pine scented air freshener.
Where did you get that? I need one of thoes!

Originally Posted by Tari

You're not alone. I hate putting it up, too. I can never get Pat to help me with it, so it's just me trying to lug it out and assemble a tree while keeping three cats out of it. They love to put up the tree!
Not only is it about the boys, I just hate moving things around in the apartment to fit in a tree.

:::Sigh:::: DH says we have to, so I will. Oh well... I'll post pictures of my tree when we get it up.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

Target. Bought it on sale last year in early December. Target rocks.
I am headed off to Target this year and buying that tree!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am headed off to Target this year and buying that tree!
Just note that its not the fullest most beautiful tree ever placed on this earth, but its a really nice tree for a smaller place. I'll take a pic when I get home from work and pop it up here. I think ours is 6'-ish.