Money & Animals- What would you pay??

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Colin and I were just having an interesting discussion about paying $$$ for purbreeds. More specifically, paying thousands of dollars for one. We both agreed that we would never pay thousands of dollars for any animal just because it was deemed purbreed. We both agree that we would never use that kind of money on one animal, when there are thousands of very sweet, adoptable animals at shelters across the country due to irresponsible byb (back yard breeders) and people who have not spayed/neutered their animals. I was telling him that I could never justify paying a large sum of $$ like that for one animal, when I could adopt a perfectly sweet, loving animal in desperate need of a home, and use that extra $$$ to support my local shelters, etc. (I mean absolutely no offense to those of you who are responsible breeders
). I just could never justify paying for an animal upwards into several hundred or even thousands of dollars, when there are such sweet animals in all of our shelters who need loving homes. Also, there are soooooooooo many purebreeds who wind up in rescues and shelters across the country as well because of overpopulation, irresponsible breeders, and people simply not altaring their animals. Two of my girls- Jasmine and Isabella are purebreeds - both are rescues- so even for those who want purebreeds, i could never adopt one from a breeder when there are soo many purebreeds out there who wind up in shelters and in need of loving homes. (keep in mind i have no interest in showing or breeding mine however). Colin and I both feel that every animal, reguardless of being a moggie or a purebreed needs a home. It just makes no sense to use to pay thousands or even hundreds of dollars just to buy an animal when so many are in need of forever homes in shelters across the world. I was wondering what everyone else thought on this topic, so I wanted to create a thread on this note. Hehe, and for the record, at the moment, i have a gorgeous little moggie boy, Kolar sitting on my chest as i type. He's such a sweet little guy- yet like so many others i've fostered, he is in need of a forever home due to the overpopulation issues right now. He couldn't be a more loving little guy- the same goes for all of his litter mates. What do the rest of you think about the issue of paying extravagant amounts of money to adopt from a breeder when there are numerous other kitties in shelters (many of which are also purebreed with papers, yet have found themselves in shelters when owners move or other things arise)? I wanted to clarify that I see nothing wrong with RESPONSIBLE breeders who are in it to further the breed, etc and are exceptionally responsible with their breeding program (as many of our members are who breed
). I know many of you have adopted from breeders for a specific breed, etc, i'm curious to hear your take on that issue as well

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. I would pay for a bengal but not over say $600 or so. But that would have to be later in life when I had the extra money. I am big on getting animals from shelters.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I dont think I woul do it. I thought about buying a Bengal kitten before I found out Bagheera was sick. But then money went towards him. Now I think I would just as soon adopt any breed I wanted. There are plenty of cats/dogs of all breeds in need of homes.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think instead of buying a cat from a breeder, I really would like to get another Meezer (or two or three
) I would look into breed specific rescues, I love kittens, but its not necessary for me to have one, adults are great too, and I also would probably end up adopting the special needs kitties too

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Rocket from a breeder and paid $450 for him. I wasn't expecting to spend any money when we went to that cat show because we were just looking around at different cats and nothing more. Well when the lady put Rocket in my arms and he snuggled under my chin, that was all it took, he was mine.
But I've also got Isis and Luna who are former ferals, and Twig who was a farm cat. So I guess my answer would be yes, I would pay for a cat if it was something that tugged at my heart strings, but in the same respect, I'd just as fast adopt a cat off the street or from a shelter. It just depends on the circumstances.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
honestly, I would never ever buy from a breeder no matter how responsible the breeder is. I will always adopt my animals. never, ever buy from a breeder. to me, purebred doesn't matter.. your animals does not have to be a pedigree to be a best friend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

honestly, I would never ever buy from a breeder no matter how responsible the breeder is. I will always adopt my animals. never, ever buy from a breeder. to me, purebred doesn't matter.. your animals does not have to be a pedigree to be a best friend.
That is exactly what Colin said

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

What do the rest of you think about the issue of paying extravagant amounts of money to adopt from a breeder when there are numerous other kitties in shelters (many of which are also purebreed with papers, yet have found themselves in shelters when owners move or other things arise)? I wanted to clarify that I see nothing wrong with RESPONSIBLE breeders who are in it to further the breed, etc and are exceptionally responsible with their breeding program (as many of our members are who breed
). I know many of you have adopted from breeders for a specific breed, etc, i'm curious to hear your take on that issue as well
I don't see how you can say you see nothing wrong with responsible breeders when you call the purchase of one of their purebreeds as extravagant, which by the The American HeritageÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Dictionary means

extravagant (adj.) Given to lavish or imprudent expenditure: extravagant (adj.) Exceeding reasonable bounds: extravagant demands. See synonyms at excessive extravagant

Personally I am willing to pay up to a $1,000 for a Cornish Rex kitten of good lineage. I see it as an investment in the breeds future and also as compensation for the breeder for the time, costs and other expenditures they make on the kitten. Personally most of the breeders I have met do not make that much money on the kittens, it is to help them have a good breeding program.

It is clear from the tone of your post you do not believe in purebreeds. Which is fine we are all entitled to our opinion and yours just seems to me to be the prevailing one on this site. I believe in purebreeds which is fine I have the means to do it.

I also believe this should be in IMO as the topic of purebreed vs shelter cats is just that an opinion.

Tricia

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 9 rescued/adopted cats and I absolutely love every one of them and wouldn't trade them for anything.

BUT I have always wanted a Bengal and Takoda is my first experience with buying a pedigree cat. I have no regrets it was a smooth transition.

I can honestly say that Takoda cost me far less than Vanna and Sampson did when I adopted them. They were so sick for months and vet visit after vet visit to get them on the road to recovery. When I adopted them I knew how sick they were and I knew it was going to be costly. That was a choice I made just as I made the choice to adopt a purebred bengal and pay the price I did.

I think any cat deserves a home whether they are purebred or a moggie.

I don't love Takoda any differently than I love my others. He is just part of the gang!

IF and WHEN the time comes I will adopt/buy another bengal!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would NEVER pay thousands of $$$ on a animal-period. My son keeps BEGGING me to buy him a english bulldog and I keep telling him NO way, NO how!! You cant find one for under $1,000..........and I just think thats so silly to pay that type of $$$ for an animal. I think the most I have paid for a dog was about $150.00.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not the pedigree that made me want Rocket, it was love. I never registered him with the CFA or whatever it is that breeders and show quality cats are registered under. I just never thought I needed to. I love Rocket, Isis, Luna and Twig with all my heart and yes Rocket cost me money but honestly, what is money when I can say I have a truely deep bond with Rocket and when I wake up in the morning(or at night) he's right there, kneading my hair, drooling and purring. What more can you ask for? I love all my cats equally, purebred or not.
If it mattered, I'd have one or the other. I respect a good breeder for their caring and compassion and the time it takes for each litter. I know that some end up in shelters, but that's not the fault of the breeder, it's the fault of the person who bought the cat. the person i got Rocket from told me that for ANY reason at any time, I could bring him back if I couldn't care for him anymore. Like I said, purebreed is just a title, nothing more. Rocket doesn't get special treatment because of it, he eats out of the same dry food bowl, drinks from the same water fountain, and is treated like all my cats. Spoiled and loved.
That's all nothing more.
Wow, jumped all over the map with this reply huh?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thousands not likely ( I am fairly poor)

I would buy from a breeder .. My trouble is they all want me( at least the local ones) to get a kitten and I want a young adult( ex breeder as example)

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We paid $1100 for the two bengal boys. They come from great lineage too (Gogees and Aluren). But before we went bengal hunting we decided we would not spend over a certain amount, and even though it took months, we finally found a reputable breeder who didn't charge an arm and a leg for pet-quality bengals.

But boy, are there some pricey breeders out there! One of them we came across STARTED her pet quality bengals at $1000! And they weren't even as pretty as Spike and Leo

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I would buy a purebred from a breeder. I am not willing to pay more than $200(& that's pushing it). However, before I go buy from a breeder, I would definately contact a breed specific rescue. My problem is that I live in the boonies & many breed specific rescues only adopt within certain areas, which I am not in. I also want an adult. I have a very strong dislike for kittens & all their "kitten-ness:. I prefer laid-back adults.

A little off topic, but what breed is Jasmine? I didn't realize she was a purebred!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me personally, if I wanted a specific breed I would keep an eye out for one at the shelters.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by peachytoday

I don't see how you can say you see nothing wrong with responsible breeders when you call the purchase of one of their purebreeds as extravagant, which by the The American Heritage® Dictionary means

extravagant (adj.) Given to lavish or imprudent expenditure: extravagant (adj.) Exceeding reasonable bounds: extravagant demands. See synonyms at excessive extravagant

Personally I am willing to pay up to a $1,000 for a Cornish Rex kitten of good lineage. I see it as an investment in the breeds future and also as compensation for the breeder for the time, costs and other expenditures they make on the kitten. Personally most of the breeders I have met do not make that much money on the kittens, it is to help them have a good breeding program.

It is clear from the tone of your post you do not believe in purebreeds. Which is fine we are all entitled to our opinion and yours just seems to me to be the prevailing one on this site. I believe in purebreeds which is fine I have the means to do it.

I also believe this should be in IMO as the topic of purebreed vs shelter cats is just that an opinion.

Tricia
I think you're reading things into my post that simply are not there
/ I have 3 purebreeds- ALL of which are rescues, two are cats, and one is a "leftover" easter bunny. I also have several moggies. I personally could care less of my animals are purebreeds or not- I would love them just the same if they were mixed with something else. ALL of my furbabies are rescues and I love them all equally. I personally would never buy an animal from a breeder, when there are countless ones in shelters and rescues in need of homes (both moggies and purebreeds). When I said I do not have a problem with responsible breeders- i wasn't saying that I would adopt from them, just that I simply respect them for being responsible and having control over their catteries and making sure that their litters do not wind up in a shelter. I definitely think that their prices are a bit extravagant for an animal when you could go down the road at a shelter and find the same breed etc with shots, spay/neuter,etc.(i do not need a dictionary definition
) / This isn't an issue of purebreed cats vs. shelter cats- take a stroll around your local shelters, there are lots of purebreeds (even some with papers) that wind up in shelters on a regular basis. Over 45 animals at the shelter i volunteer at right now are purebreeds - 22 of them have papers. They are examples of irresponsible byb and owners./ You mentioned that you wouldn't mind paying 1,000 for a cornish rex with good leniage.....what about these babies that are currently in rescue groups...

they're purebreeds...and they are also in need of a home.

http://www.cornishrexfriends.org/
http://purebredcatbreedrescue.org/cornish_rex.htm
http://search.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I see it as an investment in the breeds future and also as compensation for the breeder for the time, costs and other expenditures they make on the kitten.
I think this is a wise statement. If there weren't breeders, then the breeds would cease to exist.

I understand that there are moggies and pure breeds in shelters, too. I personally have 5 of them now.

I would pay $2,500 to a reputable breeder who is breeding quality pets. Just as a contribution to help keep her line going. And in return I would have a new kitten to love and adore.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

When I said I do not have a problem with responsible breeders- i wasn't saying that I would adopt from them, just that I simply respect them for being responsible and having control over their catteries and making sure that their litters do not wind up in a shelter. I definitely think that their prices are a bit extravagant for an animal when you could go down the road at a shelter and find the same breed etc with shots, spay/neuter,etc.(i do not need a dictionary definition
) / This isn't an issue of purebreed cats vs. shelter cats- take a stroll around your local shelters, there are lots of purebreeds (even some with papers) that wind up in shelters on a regular basis. Over 45 animals at the shelter i volunteer at right now are purebreeds - 22 of them have papers. They are examples of irresponsible byb and owners./ You mentioned that you wouldn't mind paying 1,000 for a cornish rex with good leniage.....what about these babies that are currently in rescue groups...

they're purebreeds...and they are also in need of a home.

http://www.cornishrexfriends.org/
http://purebredcatbreedrescue.org/cornish_rex.htm
http://search.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi
Basically what you are saying is that I or anyone else shouldn't pay the price for a reputable breeder to breeds purebreeds and that I should go to the shelter and try to find the cat I love. If I buy one I am extravagant and denying a shelter cat that needs a home. I have done that, I have 3 shelter cats. I have one pure breed Cornish Rex I paid for and current am trying to find a playmate for him. I have looked all over petfinder I did contact Cornish Rexcue and none were appropriate for my household or they did not ship. The links you put up I had already looked at. I cannot find the same breed at the shelter nor at this point do I want to. So I will go the breeder route.

I respect your opinion. For what it is worth I am glad you are happy with your cats. I am glad there are people who love shelter cats as much as the purebreed ones. I have both myself. But look at the tone of your letter and it is the tone I hear all the time on this site from the ones that would only recieve shelter cats is that it is somehow wrong to buy a cat. They would NEVER do it. It is extravagant, it encourages backyard breeders, you are denying a cat a home. It bothers me because I think both avenues are great and I advocate both methods of obtaining a loved member of the family. I love Cassidy, Redford and Inca my shelter cats. I love Zander my Cornish Rex. This is really all I have to say about this.

Tricia

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Call me biased but for me, cats and dogs would be two different things. I wouldn’t pay more than 50 dollars for a cat. That would be the initial adopting fee with speuter extra. Cats are all basically the same. Some are bigger, some smaller, longhair, shorthair but they are all basically the same.

With dogs though, there are huge diversitys. From Chi’s to Great Danes, and Shih Tzus to Cane Corsos. Even in mutts they are hugely different. I wouldn’t pay over 500 dollars for a dog.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Basically what you are saying is that I or anyone else shouldn't pay the price for a reputable breeder to breeds purebreeds and that I should go to the shelter and try to find the cat I love. If I buy one I am extravagant and denying a shelter cat that needs a home. I have done that, I have 3 shelter cats. I have one pure breed Cornish Rex I paid for and current am trying to find a playmate for him. I have looked all over petfinder I did contact Cornish Rexcue and none were appropriate for my household or they did not ship. The links you put up I had already looked at. I cannot find the same breed at the shelter nor at this point do I want to. So I will go the breeder route.

I respect your opinion. For what it is worth I am glad you are happy with your cats. I am glad there are people who love shelter cats as much as the purebreed ones. I have both myself. But look at the tone of your letter and it is the tone I hear all the time on this site from the ones that would only recieve shelter cats is that it is somehow wrong to buy a cat. They would NEVER do it. It is extravagant, it encourages backyard breeders, you are denying a cat a home. It bothers me because I think both avenues are great and I advocate both methods of obtaining a loved member of the family. I love Cassidy, Redford and Inca my shelter cats. I love Zander my Cornish Rex. This is really all I have to say about this.

Tricia
Once again, you are putting words into my mouth that i did not say
. I never once said that nobody should purchase a cat from a breeder. In fact, I said that I applaud reputable breeders who are responsible and make sure their cats do not wind up in shelters, etc, and only in good homes. I said that I personally would not buy a cat from a breeder when there are numerous other cats in shelters who need homes. That is my personal decision and you are entitled to yours
. As a foster mom for my local shelters...i have fostered numerous animals, both purebreeds and moggies. I never condemed you for buying a cat from a breeder nor any of the other members for doing so- that is your personal decision
. Just as my personal decision is to adopt from a shelter rather than buy from a breeder./ I do however feel that there is nothing wrong with the tone of my post- i stated why I would rather adopt than buy, and you stated your belief. TCS is a wonderful site in which members can openly and kindly discuss their thoughts on their beloved kitties, and topics which go along with adopting or buying a kitty. I do disagree however when you say that there are no cornish rex in shelters- we've have two come in and out of Memphis Animal Services in the past year...along with numerous other purebreeds. There might just not be any in your local shelter, but there are definitely some in shelters and rescues around the country
/ I did not know you had already seen the links i posted for you- I thought you might be interested in them since you have a liking for that particular breed is all. I ment no harm