Care to share a special holiday memory?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine always comes to mind this time of year. Growing up, the holiday started with Thanksgiving day........the day after our tree went up, shopping began, baking started, etc.......Mom worked in retail and had to start early or she wouldn't have time for it all the closer the holiday got with all the hours she had to work. Naturally all of our family has kept this tradition.........

The best memory I have though is us kids waking up at like 4am
and waiting for at least 6am to get Mom and Dad up. They'd send me in because I was the youngest and could coax them out of bed easier than they could by batting my big baby blues........

We were all sent out into the hallway while they got up, etc. We'd all sit at the top of the steps and I swear Dad SLLLLOOOWWLLY put his housecoat on, one slipper at a time, had to comb his hair.......anything he could think of to prolong our agony of running down the stair, around the landing, and viewing what Santa had left us in the livingroom!

Being the youngest, I always got trampled in the stampede as soon as Dad said, "let's go!"

Those were the days.................

Anyone else care to share a fond memory...?? I'd love to hear them.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was very little, my Grandma used to arrange for Santa and his elves to come and visit, of course it was just friends of hers, and I always remember the way she wrapped our presents- in brown grocery bags
Christmas time is when I miss my Grandma the most
it was her favorite time of year.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my family we weren't real close but every year we would celebrate Christmas Eve with my dad by going to his mom's house. We would eat perogies and lots of yummy
food, open presents and then he would bring up back to moms. I remember one year he dressed up as santa
(which I have the pics to proove it) and it was so funny, cuz the beard was half on, he has black hair and he's much fatter than the real santa!!! I should post that pic!
It's funny! At my mom's we would open presents
from him. Then after he left we would do Christmas with mom! Every year the same thing. Then mom died and dad went and changed everything! So now my sister does Christmas Eve at her house, and we added in Halloween Trick-or-Treating with the kids cuz that was the last holiday we had with mom! I am considering making a new tradition, though I don't know how or what since it's just me, DH, and Kitters, and no room to decorate anything!! But I still love the season! I love giving, much much more than recieving! So Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good TCS?
(I couldn't think of anything good for there!)

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohhhh Christmas memories

Christmas started after Thanksgiving for us, too. My Mother was always playing Elvis Christmas music. She was very social and always had several "get togethers" with friends during Christmas. I can remember her playing the piano and everyone singing.
Rocking around the Christmas tree at the Christmas party hop
and anything else she could play. She used to dress me up and "make" me sing, while she played.

As a family, I can remember us driving everywhere looking at all the lights. That was always exciting.

Christmas Eve, we would stay up late watching for Santa in the sky. I can remember my Father saying, "Look did you see him, I think I just saw Santa". And how excited that made me.

My brother, sister or I had no manners when in came to Christmas morning, we didnt wait for our parents. Whoever woke first woke the other two and ran straight to the tree to see what Santa had brought us. There was no organization to it at all. Ripping presents open. It was a blast!

I found out about Santa when I was around 7. But my sister was 4 years younger than me and still believed. So we still did Santa until I was about 12. We would still run to see what Santa brought even after my brother and I found out.

The rest of the day would be spent with family coming over and going outside to play with all your new things with our friends.

It was always so special and I still feel that excitement when Christmas is near!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad used to torture us! When we caught our parents wrapping presents and putting them under the tree one year and after that they just put everything under the tree as they went. He would tell us we could open one gift and let us pick it out and everything thing and then "cheange his mind"
Christmas morning me and my sister would have matching PJs and wait for gifts to be passed out!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember waking up one Christmas morning when I was very little and finding a keyboard that santa had brought me- i swear i drove them crazy for a very long time playing that thing
I also remember finding presents with my name on them from Santa Clause on it! It always made me soooooo excited (they had to read it to me at the time because I was really little and hadn't learned to read yet). I remember thinking it was so neat that Santa knew when I lived

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I have MANY stories but I will just share ONE. It's a bit long though so pls bear with me.

One Christmas morning, I decided to go pet Rusty, family cat, while I waited for rest of the family to wake up (I am the baby of the family) .. As I petted her, I noticed there was something different about her..

*GASP*
HER WHISKERS WERE ALMOST ALL GONE!!!!!!!! (She is famous for her LONG BEAUTIFUL WHISKERS)...

Someone cut her whiskers real short!!!!!!!!

Immediately I blamed my older brother so I stormed into his bedroom (he was still sleeping), jumped up on him on his bed and started yelling and beating up on him.(Normally, it'd be HIM beating up on me) LOL. (He is 5 years older than me and much bigger than me!) POOR Shaun woke up with a start having this little sister (20 years old at that time) beating him up and yelling at him!! My parents came running all freaked out hearing me yelling.

After calming me down, mom told me she SUSPECTED that my nephew Colby (only 5-6 years old at that time) had done this. She recalled seeing him cutting papers up in dad's office on Christmas Eve and Rusty was sleeping in dad's office chair so that's why she suspected it was Colby. At that point, I was sooo disappointed cuz I couldn't chew Colby out since he was soo young!!!!!!! Told mom to forget it- I didn't want to bring it up with him and ruin Christmas.

When we went over to my sister's home for Christmas that day, mom HAD to say something like "Santa called us last night and asked if he should still bring presents for the kids.." At that point, Natalie (sister) immediately asked what was wrong and after mom told her what happened but didn't say who she suspected, Natalie immediately turned to her 3 kids and said in a STERN way, "Who did this??" Of course, all denied it and she got madder cuz that meant someone was lying so she took one by one into another room and asked again and after they all denied it, she was MAD and told them that they couldn't do anything that day until someone confessed... I felt sooooo BAD for those kids!! I kept telling Natalie to forget it but at that point, she was more upset about them lying than the fact that someone had cut poor Rusty's whiskers..

When we got back home, Natalie called and said 5 minutes after we left, Colby started crying and confessed and he really felt bad about it sooooo when they came over later that evening, I ran off into another room and got Rusty then I walked into the room, walked up to Colby (he looked soo sad), pushed Rusty onto him so he had to hold her and said "Colby, pls hold Rusty for me".. He was so SHOCKED that I'd trust him with Rusty after what he did then I hugged him and told him it was fine and that he was forgiven..

Now it's a ongoing joke- every Christmas Eve, we'd joke and say DO NOT leave any scissors around Colby OR other kids who may decide to trim a cats' whiskers again!

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pamela

*GASP*
HER WHISKERS WERE ALMOST ALL GONE!!!!!!!! (She is famous for her LONG BEAUTIFUL WHISKERS)...
Very nice of you to show mercy! But ... did the whiskers grow back? I've never thought about that one.

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Enjoyed reading these posts.
As for me, I'm pretty old and probably many of you could not relate to a youth with very little goodies. Christmas was always lean for us. But, I got a big book from Santa after I learned to read. That was really special.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phat Locani

Enjoyed reading these posts.
As for me, I'm pretty old and probably many of you could not relate to a youth with very little goodies. Christmas was always lean for us. But, I got a big book from Santa after I learned to read. That was really special.
I personally think those Christmas's long long long ago when it was the thought that counted, not the quantity of gifts, were wonderful!

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phat Locani

Very nice of you to show mercy! But ... did the whiskers grow back? I've never thought about that one.
YUP LUCKILY they did AND she was not affected by it! I found out later on that if the whiskers are cut too close to the skin, then it affects the cat's balance. The cat would walk around drunkenly- that's what a friend told me - she had cut her cat's whiskers all the way to the skin ( don't ask me why! stupid girl!) and her cat couldn't walk straight until the whiskers grew out again.

I was real THANKFUL that Colby did not cut them all the way to the skin!

Rusty is as beautiful as ever with LONG WHISKERS and GRUMPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She's pretty old now- my parents says she's too ornery and will outlive us all.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, I miss the days that me and my siblings were kids, and we would wake up on Christmas morning and all the presents wold be under the tree..and we would all open our stockings before our mom got up...Now that we are adults, it doesn't seem as special anymore

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every year since I've been little, my brothers get up at like 5AM and wait and wait and wait at the top of the stairs, pestering me for like 2 hours telling me to get up!
Of course then my Dad would wake up and go downstairs and tease us by telling us that Santa forgot to come to our house... of course my brothers believed it... every year
My brothers would get so antsy that they'd try to sneak down the stairs to get at their stockings, but my parents would always hear them, and it was always so funny to hear them scurrying up the stairs before they got caught
Now that they are 18 and 16, its the same way

Of course by time they woke us all up, my mom would always take the LONGEST time in the bathroom and always pretend to take a shower before coming out, just to make my brothers mad

Christmas still feels just like it did when we were all little, we still get anxious like we did when we were little!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to think of some warm and fuzzy memories, but I'm not having much success. The memory that keeps returning is that every year my father (who is a hunter) would come home on Christmas Eve and tell us that he shot and killed Rudolph. I think he thought it was a funny joke. He did the same thing at Easter with the Easter bunny. (My childhood was a difficult one.)

Thank goodness I have a loving husband and daughter now and we are making our own traditions and beautiful memories.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just thought of another memory hehe, this one is naughty

When I was little, my mom took me to the mall to have my picture taken with Santa Clause....well, being an intelligent child, I decided that the disturbing obease man whose lap i was tossed onto was certainly NOT santa! So i did what any curious child would do- i checked
I pulled his beard right off his face
....you should have seen the look of the children in line behind me- i swear they were all crying
After pulling the dude's beard off, i announced " Mommy, this is NOT Santa Clause!" The picture they took actually got me in the process of taking his beard off
I wish I knew where it was, i'd post it!
/ I feel so bad now- i probably screwed up a lot of other children that day

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I've been trying to think of some warm and fuzzy memories, but I'm not having much success. The memory that keeps returning is that every year my father (who is a hunter) would come home on Christmas Eve and tell us that he shot and killed Rudolph. I think he thought it was a funny joke. He did the same thing at Easter with the Easter bunny. (My childhood was a difficult one.)

Thank goodness I have a loving husband and daughter now and we are making our own traditions and beautiful memories.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
Aww, you didn't kill the thread......and believe me, we all have certain memories that aren't so warm and fuzzy.......just glad to hear your making new good ones with your hubby and daughter........it's never too late for warm and fuzzy!