Oh no...........

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got off the phone with my lanlords who we are buying the house from (lease to own). I was just informed that we are only allowed to have 2 cats along with Jake.... I am soooo upset!
And the kids will be too.. We just had to adopt out Reilly, Daisy went to her new home, and now this...
I tried for about an hour to talk them into it. They were having NONE of it... and then DH pretty much agreed with it. Said 5 cats is TOO many for us, along with 2 birds and a dog... How do they expect me to choose?
I don't know what I'm going to do

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, unless it is in writing, it's probably not enforceable. But if you push the issue they might get upset.

How did it come up anyway????

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

I don't understand?. If your buying the house what's it got to do with them?

Me personally hell would have to freeze over before i had to give up my pets
I agree! If you are going to own the property at the end of the lease, then you have a strong leg to stand on in regards to the argument of how many pets you house at the property!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Well, unless it is in writing, it's probably not enforceable. But if you push the issue they might get upset.

How did it come up anyway????
They called to find out when they could come by to collect the rent.

Originally Posted by rosiemac

I don't understand?. If your buying the house what's it got to do with them?

Me personally hell would have to freeze over before i had to give up my pets
Originally Posted by Sar

I agree! If you are going to own the property at the end of the lease, then you have a strong leg to stand on in regards to the argument of how many pets you house at the property!
We are doing a "rent to own".. so we don't officially own the home yet. We decided to rent for a year before we sign the papers to buy it to make sure we're happy with it

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it isn't in writing how many pets you can have, they can't tell you squat.
I mean comeon, two or five, what's the difference? As long as the animals aren't tearing around and wrecking the place, they should be happy they have tenants in their rental.
Check your lease, if there isn't a certain amount of animals you can have in there, tell them to go away. Or if you decide you are going to buy this house, tell them you've decided this and the stipulation is you're keeping ALL your animals, period. Then sign a good faith agreement with them so they know you're actually going to buy it. I am surprised that your hubby would agree with them. How do they expect you to choose one over the other? That's bull IMO.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it wasn't in writing in the very begining, on possibly a contract that you signed, then they really can't enforce it. There are laws that keep landlords from just "changing the rules" as they go. I would look back through all of your paperwork from when you moved in and check to be sure.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless they have decided NOT to sell you the house and are planning to reneg on the rent-to-own contract that they also signed, and if there is nothing in the lease stating allowed NUMBER of pets, then you need to go see a lawyer - they have ZERO right to tell you how many pets you can keep in a house you will be BUYING.

Oh this makes me mad!!!

If I were you, I'd go over the lease with a fine-toothed comb, and bring it to a lawyer if there is nothing in there about number of pets. A lawyer is the best person to advise you of your rights in this situation.

I know that lawyer fees aren't something you can add to your bills right now - do you have any friends of friends that can help with free legal advise, or do you have a legal-aid office in your area?

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is nothing in the contract and you bring that to their attention, I doubt that it will come to having to go to court over it. Why would they want to go to court over something that they have no chance of winning. You are renting to own, it didn't (I'm guessing) say anything in the original contract, and the house is in good standing (again, I'm guessing
). I would just bring it to there attention, that may solve the problem.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never rented, so I don't have any advice. I just wanted to let you know that I'm here for you if you need to rant!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After going over the lease 4-5 times we've come up with this.
It states no more then3 "uncaged" pets are allowed in the home.And in parenthesis it says (2 cats and one dog)..They know we had Jake, Tiger and Reilly when we moved in so they were incorporated into the lease. So I think they pretty much have us on this one...
They said they understood when Reilly got pregnant and we wanted to allow her to have the kittens and adopt them out. They didn't have an issue with that. Now they know Reilly is gone and we were keeping Bo, Duke and Cooter and they refused it. I guess I really don't have a choice. I can't afford to move, and we are REALLY happy with this house....
I was talking to a friend of mine who is interested in having one of the boys. Her cat passed away about 6 months ago and she thinks she might be ready. She also mentioned she might keep the two together.
She has to talk to her husband tonight and will let me know....I hate when other people are right and I'm not!

summerkid710

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are they planning on evicting you if you don't comply?

Are they going to charge a penalty until you follow the pet requirements in the lease?

How much longer do you have on the lease? Would the lawsuit (because they would have to evict you) be anywhere near resolved by that time?

Just a few questions to ponder...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, that's stinky, but it sounds like you're stuck on this one, since it IS in writing.

I sorry!!!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Summerkid710

Are they planning on evicting you if you don't comply?

Are they going to charge a penalty until you follow the pet requirements in the lease?

How much longer do you have on the lease? Would the lawsuit be anywhere near resolved by that time?

Just a few questions to ponder...
We gave them a pet deposit when we moved in. Total of $150.. that's $50 per pet. They said until we sign the papers to officially "buy" the house in May, we have to comply with it..And yes, if we break the rules of the lease, then it is grounds for eviction.

Originally Posted by GingersMom

Awww, that's stinky, but it sounds like you're stuck on this one, since it IS in writing.

I sorry!!!
It pretty much SUCKS!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

Can't you move up the date? I mean if you're planning on buying it anyway, then what is the problem?
I thought about that, but we will have to come up with $2,000 down. And right now we don't have that. We were waiting till income tax to do it.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

Can't they include that money in your payments until it's paid off? Some places are willing to work with you like that.
Well it's a "buy owner" type thing. We aren't going through a real estate agency. The owners (our landlords) are going to use the $2000 to pay off the remanider of thier mortgage on the home. Which is actually a "balloon" payment.. w/o it, they won't be able to sell it to us.