Please help me choose between these 3 foods :)

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really just want to do what is best for my two cats. They are both under a year old but it is time to switch them to adult food. right now I have them on

Purina Cat chow for indoor cats.

Here is the info:
first two ingredients: corn meal and poultry by product meal
30 percent protein...9.5 crude fat

Purina Cat natual choice:

first two ingredients: chicken meal, corn gluten meal
38 protein 13 crude fat

Nutro Plan for indoor cats:

first two ingredients chicken meal and ground rice
33 protein 19 fat

What do you all think? Which one should I go with?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All three are ok foods (and some might shoot me for saying so!). In the end, let your cat decide...but personally, I'd go with nutro...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nedra

I really just want to do what is best for my two cats. They are both under a year old but it is time to switch them to adult food. right now I have them on

Here is the info:

38 protein 13 crude fat

33 protein 19 fat

of those 3, i think the Nutro is the best. can you find Chicken Soup where you live? if you can't, the link will take you to an online store. it's usually quite a bit cheaper than Nutro, &, IMO a better food. ingredients below:
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Chicken, Salmon, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, whole grain white rice, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, turkey, duck, flaxseed, egg product, natural chicken flavor, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, kelp, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, methionine, potassium chloride, taurine, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid. [/font]

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Nutro of that list...

I would check on the chicken soup price as it is comparable to Max cat by nutro but is sometime a lot less$$$

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would pick the Nutro out of the group. But there are even better foods - Iams, Chicken Soup, and Nutro Max; as well as Royal Cain.

Stay away from the cheap foods (Purina, Meow Mix, store brands)

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nutro is the best of the three. You don't want to feed the cats corn gluten (a waste product with no nutritive value.) Rice is better than corn though it can lead to a weight gain.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

Nutro is the best of the three. You don't want to feed the cats corn gluten (a waste product with no nutritive value.) Rice is better than corn though it can lead to a weight gain.
Corn gluten is 66% PROTEIN and abotu 66% digestable ... no not quite up to rice at nearly 80 % digestable but far high than many other grains... It is used most often to balence chicken for UTI health in cat s... Great NO but for some a nessasry evil

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have gotten to where they like beech nut baby food, stage 1, containing only turkey and turkey broth. I mix their prescribed k/d food or eukanuba with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you so much for all your help. I will look into some of the other brands mentioned and the natural balance.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by nedra

Here is the info:

Real bad.

38 protein 13 crude fat

not good, but better than some cheap marks sold everywhere. A shade too low fat.

33 protein 19 fat

Quite OK.

Purina is owned by Nestle, I think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay I am thinking either nutro plan or chicken soup for the cat lovers soul if I can find it...

Thank you all for your time.

girlieq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed mine Felidae, and it ends up being about as cheap as using a lower quality food, since they eat less of it. The only issue is that the cat on the bag freaks me out. Of course, it's only an issue when I'm refilling the sealed container that I store the food in, but still.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you have a Petsmart near you, try their store brand, Authority. It's a good price and it has no by-products. As soon as I can afford to do so, I'll be going with Nutro, Chicken Soup or MAX.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GirlieQ

I feed mine Felidae, and it ends up being about as cheap as using a lower quality food, since they eat less of it. The only issue is that the cat on the bag freaks me out. Of course, it's only an issue when I'm refilling the sealed container that I store the food in, but still.
I never paid attention to the cat- but mine is Felidae Chicken and Rice
, but you're right- mine eat less, and have lost a pound or so each (over the course of several months), that they needed to lose, and are maintaining a healthy weight now. I was expecting it to cost me more than the Science Diet I switched them from, but it isn't- which was a very pleasant surprise!