Sparkly Pee?

babytobee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is weird... Tobee gets mad when we don't scoop his box to his liking and pees (doesn't spray) on any pile of clothes on the ground. The weird part is, where ever he pees, there is a sparkly subtance that almost resembles finely ground white glitter. Does anyone have this problem or know what this is? It totally weirds me out.

~Amy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babytobee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is otherwise perfectly fine. He isn't showing any signs of being ill and this isn't something that just started, it's something that has been happening for quite some time. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out right now.

~Amy

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like maybe he has had a UTI for quite some time possibly. That does sound like crystals in the urine, which is a good sign of a UTI. I think him peeing on clothes is actually from the UTI, not because he is mad at the state of his litterbox. Cats don't have feelings like that, they don't take revenge. I would urge you to have him tested for a UTI at the vet. Cats also don't show that they are ill unless it is really serious. The fact that he is peeing outside the box is the sign of being ill.

I would have him tested, possibly change his food if it is poor quality (what kind do you feed?) and add wet canned food to the diet if he does have a UTI.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally you cant see crystals in the urine with your naked eye.. but this all sounds like a UTI to me also. It could not hurt to get him in for a urinalysis. In males, UTIs can be deadly if left untreated.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He definitely has crystals in his urine, there is no question, and you need to take him to the vet. He may need an acidifier, I use carpon by doctor belfield and we have no more crystals. My guy was nice enough to pee on a piece of plastic for me, so I know what they
look like and feel like (sand). That sand is scratching the inside of his uretha, and could become a plug and block him, which could result in death. Don't mean to alarm you, but be alarmed very alarmed :-) this is serious stuff. go to the vet asap and before you go leave out an empty litter box , so you can take a urine sample with you. If you get it a day before, keep it in the fridge overnight, it will still be good. good luck.

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

He definitely has crystals in his urine, there is no question, and you need to take him to the vet. He may need an acidifier, I use carpon by doctor belfield and we have no more crystals. My guy was nice enough to pee on a piece of plastic for me, so I know what they
look like and feel like (sand). That sand is scratching the inside of his uretha, and could become a plug and block him, which could result in death. Don't mean to alarm you, but be alarmed very alarmed :-) this is serious stuff. go to the vet asap and before you go leave out an empty litter box , so you can take a urine sample with you. If you get it a day before, keep it in the fridge overnight, it will still be good. good luck.
Ok, I just saw this post and it caught my attention because my persian Sluggo had just finished a couple weeks of Baytril for a UTI. Well I have also noticed these glistening salt like things in his box because we're trying to retrain him to use the litter box and only put down newspaper for now. Should I have Sluggo rechecked too? Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babytobee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your input. Now I am all freaked out and having an anxiety attack because I feel like I neglected my baby and I don't want him to die. Damn it. Thanks, I'll get him to a vet.

~Amy

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyTobee

Thank you all so much for your input. Now I am all freaked out and having an anxiety attack because I feel like I neglected my baby and I don't want him to die. Damn it. Thanks, I'll get him to a vet.

~Amy
Amy, your kitty will be ok. Don't be so hard on yourself. This is a common problem. I'm sure you'll have it under control in no time.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lndscpsam wrote:

Ok, I just saw this post and it caught my attention because my persian Sluggo had just finished a couple weeks of Baytril for a UTI. Well I have also noticed these glistening salt like things in his box because we're trying to retrain him to use the litter box and only put down newspaper for now. Should I have Sluggo rechecked too? Thanks!
Don't know if it would apply but if you haven't seen it yet, you might be interested in this info about Baytril and crystals in urine:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...3&S=2&EVetID=0

The use of enrofloxacin can produce crystals in urine. These crystals may show up on a laboratory test thus it is important to be aware of this side effect.
1) Might enrofloxacin contribute to the development of struvite crystals and thus exacerbate feline lower urinary tract disease (FUS)?

The answer is probably not. The type of urinary crystals associated with enrofloxacin use is not struvite or even oxalate crystals; the crystals formed would be enrofloxacin crystals. The relationship between crystals and feline lower urinary tract disease is controversial as are the assorted treatments commonly prescribed for the symptoms of this condition. There is simply no universally accepted treatment for this condition and the condition is felt to have many possible causes.

2) What references do we have that enrofloxacin causes urinary crystals?

Not only does enrofloxacin cause crystals; entire bladder stones can be formed out of enrofloxacin. Granted, a urinary stone composed of enrofloxacin is somewhat unusual but it is important to realize that enrofloxacin crystals might be found in a urine sample of a patient on enrofloxacin and that these crystals should be recognized as such.
Purrs

Violet

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is crystals, I would take him to the vet to find out for sure..I had a cat die from that.

Good luck and keep us posted!

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, that must have been a heartbreaking experience for you. I came very close to losing a cat to crystals myself, so I'm with you, those crystals should be checked as soon as possible.

Purrs

Violet

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

If it is crystals, I would take him to the vet to find out for sure..I had a cat die from that.

Good luck and keep us posted!
I used to live across the hall from a girl who had the most adorable male tuxedo kitty. He was so friendly and hugged everyone! The poor little guy was constantly getting UTI's and getting blocked up. They ended up doing surgery and pretty much making him into a "girl kitty". Because the urethra was now much shorter, he didn't get crystals anymore.

Poor boy

katje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
its a very common condition with male cats that are neutered although it also happens with females occasionally. The reason he is 'mad' at his littertray is not because its dirty, but because it hurts, a lot, to go potty right now. And he is associating the pain with the littertray.
After you get him helped at the vet, you might find he still pees on clothes, because he still blames his box. Be prepared to buy new litter and even if necessary a new box, preferably different shape and colour.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

~Amy

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

~Amy
No no, you came here and got advice, didn't you? Don't be too hard on yourself. And please let us know how it goes.