I need some advice on what to feed my 2 male kittens...

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
this summer I found two kittens outside and I made them indoor cats. I got them both fixed and they have their shots. I fed them Maxximum kitten food from walmart and now one is 7 month old and one is probably 9 months old and I want to switch them to adult cat food because they were getting chubby on the kitten food. Right now they are eating Purina Cat chow for indoor cats 1/3 a cup in the morning and 1/3 of a cup at night.

Is purina cat chow a good brand of cat food for males or do I need to get them something else? Any opinions.

Also my one cat sneezes a few times a day? Is it just allergies? Thanks for the opinions.

Nedra

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all welcome to TCS!!

I have 2 cats one is 6 years old and the other is 6 months.

I feed them Royal Canin dry food and Merricks wet food (I go to Pet Value)

Alot of the brands you can get at the major department stores is not the best quality food, lots of filler.

Some other very good brands that I have tried include Wellness, Felidae and Natural Balance.

Your kitty that sneezes...are his eyes runny and nose crusty?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina Chow is not so great. Purina One or the Purina Natural whatever it's called is a step up BUT there are plenty better foods for the same or better prices. I always recommen Premium Edge since that is what I use, I don't know where exactly you would find it though, the pet store that sells it here is not a chain. But it is excellent. I buy the giant bag and it costs $17 which is comparable to Purina. The other food I recommend is Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul. Pet Supplies Plus sells that. If all you have is a Pet Smart near you, Authority is decent but not as good as the other two IMO.

Just look for foods with no by-products, no grains as the first few ingredients, those should be meats. And no mystery meats, it should say if it is chicken or beef or whatever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Miss Mew,

thanks for welcoming me to the board. Kilowatt & Megabyte are my cats names. hehe.

Megabyte has always sneezed several times a day..no running eyes or crusty nose. He seems perfectly healhty just a sneeze every once in awhile.

I will check into some other brands of food for them..walmart is closer to me then anywhere but I could always go to Petco or Petsmart.

Thanks for all the tips. these are my first two indoor cats.

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jen..I will check into the Authority and other brands..maybe nutro systems too.

They did really good on Maximuum kitten foody their coats are both really shiny.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A quality wet food diet is best for your kitties and also keeps them trim and less likely to get overweight since dry food often has a lot of carbs and fillers. We feed Merrick's Thanksgiving Dinner, Granny's Pot Pie and just recently tried Cowboy Cookout which they ate. Our babies don't like fish or seafood.

We feed small amounts of Performatrin Ultra from Pet Valu which isn't a bad dry for leaving out during the day.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The neat thing about MErricks is it has little chunks of real food they can chew. Chewing meat is good for their teeth. Chewing dry food is not so good, contrary to what the package will tell you on the cat treats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vik61

The neat thing about MErricks is it has little chunks of real food they can chew. Chewing meat is good for their teeth. Chewing dry food is not so good, contrary to what the package will tell you on the cat treats.
chewing cooked meat has NO dental value

Brands I like , would use or have used

Nutro
Natural balence
Merrick
Innova
Evo
Califonia Natural
Evanger s
Felidea
Pro pac ( wet only)
Wysong au jus
Natures Prairie
Eagle pack
Chicken soup
Solid gold
Organix( wet only)
Meow mix( wet only)
Natural life ( wet only)
Royal Canin
Sensible choice

there are others my brain is tired ...

If feeding dry mainly look for a UTI food that is certified ... commonly avail at pet stores Nutro max and Pro plan or One by Purina
Maxxium is bottom leval premium in the kitten the adults seem to contain more stuff that I DONT like

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks Sharky!