chin bacteria and food allergies.

jenbob48377

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor little Monte has his little chin bacteria back, but his ears are looking fab. So i'm thinking that I just didn't take care of his chin right the first time. he has had ear problems forever, since he was a kitten. The dermatologist changed his food for 6 weeks and now she said I could go back to his other food which he didn't eat and so I finally found a food that he likes. He got a spot on his chin that was very itchy and the derm. said there was a lot of bacteria presnet, she was still thinking it was a food allergy. I was suppose to treat it twice a day for a week and then once a day for the second week. I think I was a little slacky. So now he has a bump and he is scratching like crazy. I shouldn't have been so lazy. Now i have to start over with him, darn it. Does anyone have a cat or cats with allergies, food or environmental?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Pinky gets a fat lip from plastic bowls. He tolerates some of the water fountains but only if I pull them apart and really disinfect them on a regular basis.

What types of bowls are you using with Monte and how often do you clean them? Many cats have difficulties with plastic bowls. Maybe this is adding to his problem?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ceramic bowls might help as they do not hold germs as well as plastic ones I think...Good luck with your baby

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stainless steel dishes likely would be best ...

what food are you feeding??? what food did the dermetologist give you???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenbob48377

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

My Pinky gets a fat lip from plastic bowls. He tolerates some of the water fountains but only if I pull them apart and really disinfect them on a regular basis.

What types of bowls are you using with Monte and how often do you clean them? Many cats have difficulties with plastic bowls. Maybe this is adding to his problem?
Huh! Never thought about that. I do use plastic bowls and I probably don't clean them as much as I should. Water I clean more than the food. I will definitely change his dishes. Why do you think that plastic bothers them? Just the bacteria, ya think? Monte's got a bump on his chin that I was looking at today and it looks just like when we went to the dermatologist only there wasn't a bump last time. But the brown flaky stuff is the same. Wow, thanks for the advice, I love this forum!!! Thanks a lot.

jenbob48377

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Stainless steel dishes likely would be best ...

what food are you feeding??? what food did the dermetologist give you???
He was getting Royal Canine Rabbit and green pea formula, now he's on natural balance (well I mix the two together with a little warm water to soften it up) He get's just the regular natural balance. He seems to like the mixture. Do you think it may have anything to do with putting warm water on it? Then it sits in his bowl, mabye I shouldn't do that, ahhhh.

Thanks for the help!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely stop using all plastic bowls right away. Plastic is a known cause of feline acne and it almost always presents itself right on the chin.

I recommend stainless steel (like Sharky mentioned) or glass. Glazed ceramic is ok too. Make sure you wash the bowls daily as well.

You should see a positive response within a week of switching to a non-plastic bowl for feeding and watering.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup - plastic bowls breed bacteria that land on their chins (and in the case of my Pinky, his lower lip). That is the first thing you should correct before you switch food brands.

And don't worry - most people don't realize that until they land on this site and get educated by all the smart people out there. I converted to glazed ceramic and stainless bowls after I found this site.

jenbob48377

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, I will definitely switch bowls. Chin acne, who would have thought. I said it once and I'll say it again, I love this forum (so does Monte, he'll be happy when he gets new bowls.)

Thanks again sooooo much.
Jenny

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got about 8 stainless bowls because they were relatively inexpensive. None is ever used twice before being cleaned. I put the dirty ones in the dishwasher to clean them really well.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Definitely stop using all plastic bowls right away. Plastic is a known cause of feline acne and it almost always presents itself right on the chin.

I recommend stainless steel (like Sharky mentioned) or glass. Glazed ceramic is ok too. Make sure you wash the bowls daily as well.

You should see a positive response within a week of switching to a non-plastic bowl for feeding and watering.
i've also found that flatter dishes, like saucers, work better at preventing it than bowls. when i switched from a deep bowl to a flat saucer, Pixel's acne basically disappeared. i usually buy inexpensive ceramic saucers at the dollar store for the cats' dishes.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Damita has food allergies. She had yucky ears, over groomed herself, etc. Never had any chin problems(that I noticed). She is on Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea dry & canned. That is their allergy formual. So far, she seems to be doing good on it.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched from plastic to stainless steel, and my poor babies STILL have the brown flakeys on their chins, I am stumped...

Sorry to hijack, but is there anything specificly (sp?) made for it? Like a cream? I have tried washing it off with a warm wet cloth, but between squirming cats and having them puch the rag away with their paw, I finaly wrapped them in the towle and it still wouldn't come off =/

jenbob48377

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

My Damita has food allergies. She had yucky ears, over groomed herself, etc. Never had any chin problems(that I noticed). She is on Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea dry & canned. That is their allergy formual. So far, she seems to be doing good on it.
That's exactly what my Monte had, yucky ears. Although, he really wasn't over grooming himself but after the rabbit and green pea from the dermatologist, I put him on Natural Balance, just the regular, but if his ears start to get bad again then I'll switch him to the venison. He doesn't much care for the wet venison. His ears are so good now I don't want to keep him on the regular food but the dermatologist suggested it to see if it really is a food allergy. As far as his chin is concerned I feel sure that it's his plastic bowls. I would have never thought of that.

jenbob48377

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

I switched from plastic to stainless steel, and my poor babies STILL have the brown flakeys on their chins, I am stumped...

Sorry to hijack, but is there anything specificly (sp?) made for it? Like a cream? I have tried washing it off with a warm wet cloth, but between squirming cats and having them puch the rag away with their paw, I finaly wrapped them in the towle and it still wouldn't come off =/
The dermatologist gave me tresaderm to put on it and it worked the first time, now I've got to hit it again for it came back, i'm sure because of the bowls.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

My Ophelia had chin acne...eating from stainless steel bowls on the linoleum floor. Never occred to me that her plastic ID tag was picking up "junk" & giving her acne! If you have plastic ID tags on your kits, then that could be a possibility.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, I believe someone mentioned a plastic mat that the dishes were sitting on was causing her kitty a problem.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo had chin acne with ceramic bowls. I now use stainless steel ones that are washed every day. She has a carpet under her dishes and that seems to prevent the chin acne.