I Am Not A Backyard Breeder

catbabe12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG i am soo tierd of poeple saying you are a back yard breeder.
I breed pedigreed cats and have the breeds best interest in mind.
i only breed if show qualtiy an d nevr lt a pet quality kitten go without being spayed and nutard.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Then unless they werent supposed to be breed by there breeder , IMHO your not a BYB...

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, who called you a BYB? What about your Grandmother's cat? Is the cat going to be OK? Have you found a place for her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catbabe12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she will be placed in a home next monday

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The biggest problem, is people coming in here talking about "breeding" and they don't seem to have a clue as to what breeding entails and ask an awful lot of novice questions regarding their cats, male reactions, female reactions, "in heat", kittening., etc.

Those of us who have spent YEARS of researching and studying our chosen breeds get suspicious of these questions/motives. Many times, novice breeders are just breeding cats they think are pretty, nice, bought with "papers" and really shouldn't be breeding at all. A lot of "cheap" cats are obtained thru kitten mills or backyard breeders.

If you are a serious breeder, you will spend time researching your breed, going to shows, showing your cats to grand champion if possible and studying pedigrees, lines, etc. You will know your breed in side and out. You will know what it entails when your queen is about to give birth - what to do if complications arise, how to wean and raise a litter of kittens and keep them till they are a minimum of 10-12 weeks old.

Also a good breeder with require (or do so themselves) spay/neuter ALL pet kittens and be very picky to who gets their show cats. The object is to produce something equal to or better then the parents and prove that in the show ring.

If you don't do all that, then IMO you should not be breeding cats.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be harsh here.......but it's not personal.........

I don't recall seeing any thread where someone accused you of being a BYB, so why bring it up at all? If you got a PM from someone about being a BYB, address it in PM's.

Legitimate breeders get enough bad press as it is, if you are one of us, a responsible caring breeder, you already know it, and there is no need to defend yourself publicly on this forum. Leave it in PM's if that's where the accusation came from.

Also if you're new to breeding, get a mentor who knows what they're doing and ask them the questions. A mentor will be a person who has been breeding the same breed you have for many years.

It's not that people on TCS don't want to help.....but why go to a third party when you can get the best answers from an expert on the breed you're working with?

My words are meant to help not bring you down.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What I am going to say to you may also seem harsh, but like Kai Bengals' post to you, it is not meant to be an insult to you personally. It is meant simply to open your mind to the possibility that you may not be ready to begin breeding.

What I think you are is a very young person with little to no experience with caring for breeding cats ... I think you probably have had lots of pet cats and that is a great start, but breeding may still be very new to you and as such, you haven't had the proper amount of time to learn all you can about the responsible practice of animal husbandry nor have you learned all you can about your chosen breed.

My suggestion to you is to postpone breeding until you are better equipped to handle things as they arise. Not everything is a crisis or an emergency - your reactions in many of your posts seem to suggest that you lack the emotional strength necessary to do what needs to be done. That strength comes only with maturity.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catbabe12

OMG i am soo tierd of poeple saying you are a back yard breeder.
I breed pedigreed cats and have the breeds best interest in mind.
i only breed if show qualtiy an d nevr lt a pet quality kitten go without being spayed and nutard.
Catbabe....I have no comment about the BYB remark...but I do have concerns about the fact that Quilt mated to a stray. Strays can carry FIV/FELV...so before I would consider mating Quilt to another purebred cat, I would pay to have an FIV/FELV test done.

Katie

catbabe12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I Have bred several show and pet qualtiy pets i have my aunt who is a mentor
and also my mother was a breeder and she helps me. and i am being called a byb on my pm's becaise of the "accidental breeding" i could not help it she was staying with my aunt ( not the breeder aunt ).
and hamtaro (tari) is gonna be shown next weak so hope for the best
I am not an amuture breeder i have bred for 5 years with my moms help until i was twenty
anymore questions??
Thank you
Hannah Lee

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious in what association(s) you show in and have your cats made it past champion. How many grands are in your cats and your mom's/aunts?

BTW I've been in the cat fancy (showing/breeding) for 30+ yrs with about 10 yrs of breeding. So I do know a lot about showing/breeding and what a top quality example is in most of the breeds.

Championships are easy to come by - but grands are not.

catbabe12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my mom had just 3 grands idk how may my aunt had i will see tomorrow
btw i show with the cfa tica.
i have had one champ but nothing more

amaranth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe I shouldn't jump in here because I'm a new member and not a breeder. I also don't know you or your history, so I'm not directing this at you...but from what I've read on this forum, I am a bit disturbed by the large number of people who are breeding cats (purebred or otherwise) who seem to have little idea about what they're doing. I wouldn't know what to do in that situation either but that's why I made sure my kittens were neutered/spayed at a young age. I'm venting and this isn't directed at any one specific, so it's likely an inappropriate message. However, it really alarms me, given how seriously I view breeding and how many homeless cats are euthanized each year. I may consider breeding the breed that has become the love of my life (Oriental Shorthairs
) in the distant future, but only after years of research, mentoring, showing cats, etc. I hope this doesn't offend any one but it's been on my mind since I've started participating in several cat forums.

Carlie

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my one concern that kinda raised a flag to me. Was the mention of the monetary spending on the cats and "did i waste the money" breeding isnt about money.

my second thought is you did not mention the age of the male, or what exactly the issue was. just that he wasnt interested. If hes younger, Himmis are no doubt like persians who can take alot longer to mature for breeding age. maybe shes not in a proper season, who knows. but thats just my two cents.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scamper, I think in another thread she had, she mentioned the cats are both about 2 yrs old - they should be breeding at 2.

Yeah the money issue is a problem.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Scamper, I think in another thread she had, she mentioned the cats are both about 2 yrs old - they should be breeding at 2.

Yeah the money issue is a problem.
Im sorry but I also had some doubts about this. Your first post gave me a few warnings. The fact that you paid 300 dollars for a supposed 'Show quality' male, is kind of mind boggling. Pet quality cats go for more than that, so I assumed that the male did not come from the best of situations. Also, even at 600 dollars I would still find it very cheap for a show quality, breeding female.

A good breeder is VERY picky as to where they place their cats, especially show worthy cats. Im surprised your babies did not come with a spay and neuter contract attached?

Please dont take this harshly, you may not be a BYB, after all I dont know your situation. But as other members have stated your posts show lack of knowledge, and things which would be answered very simply through a good mentor, are being asked here as urgent questions. I think you should hold off breeding until you have learned more on your chosen breed, have attented more shows, and have read up quite a bit on every aspect of breeding.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I don't recall seeing any thread where someone accused you of being a BYB, so why bring it up at all? If you got a PM from someone about being a BYB, address it in PM's.

Legitimate breeders get enough bad press as it is, if you are one of us, a responsible caring breeder, you already know it, and there is no need to defend yourself publicly on this forum. Leave it in PM's if that's where the accusation came from.
I also think that if you really are a responsible and knowledgable breeder why the need to defend yourself at all. You know your not a BYB why does it matter if a few member here (who don't know you) think you might be because of an accidental mating?

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She said she got them from her aunt, who used to be a breeder and passed it on to her, hence the reduced price, and wanting to breed.
Someone- pregnant cat forum? called her a BYB, so its not without some justification. The annoyance I mean.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in here. catbabe12, if you know that you are practicing responsible breeding, although it may be irritating, I wouldn't allow others to define who you are. If you aren't a BYB, then don't receive or except the label.

There are a lot of experienced breeders on this site, who have constructive and sometimes brutally honest advice. You can take the advice or be offended by it. If you are open to hear what people might have to say, you could learn something and become even better or smarter about what you are doing. I have.

You can define who you are also while keeping an open mind to advice from others who have been doing this thing well and for a long time. Just my humble opinion.