Living Situation Opinions!

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey y'all I've missed being on here so much, but things seems to be finally slowing down a bit, so hopefully I'll be around more. Well, here is the situation. I am living with a friend from school, a fellow nursing student. We will be graduating in May and she will be going back home to her home town. Me and Patrick finally got engaged a few weeks back as y'all know. Well, his roommate is sorta bailing on him for next semester, so he's got to move out in December. He will only be in town here where we live 4 nights a week next semester b/c he is taking EMT classes in our hometown. We are thinking about him just living with me and my roommate for the semester. I've talked to her and she's fine with it. Has anyone been in a situation like that, and how did it work out?

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think as long as you are all comfortable with it things will work out fine. You just need to decide if he is going to contribute to the bills and all of that good stuff!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex boyfriend lived with me and my 3 other roommates last year. His lease was up and someone else was moving into his place, and he didn't have anywhere to go, so he moved in with the 4 of us. It worked out fine, the girls were okay with it, which was what mattered the most.
As long as your comfortable with it, and so are they, then I don't think it'll be a problem!
It was nice for us as well, because we had one more person to contribute to the bills

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A long time ago Neil and I lived together before we were married and my sister also moved in with us for a while. As long as everyone's ok and the finances are worked out you should be ok.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get the agreements about bills/finances in writing! My niece went through heck back in college with roomies who would bail without paying their share. Mom helped niece out several times.

Also, you may want to write out rules and boundaries. For example, "clean up own mess, don't mess with the other roomies food or appliances, the other humans in this place are not your slaves..." Along that line.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Get the agreements about bills/finances in writing! My niece went through heck back in college with roomies who would bail without paying their share. Mom helped niece out several times.

Also, you may want to write out rules and boundaries. For example, "clean up own mess, don't mess with the other roomies food or appliances, the other humans in this place are not your slaves..." Along that line.
Jan is right on the money on this one. Make sure everyone knows what their responsibility/commitment is and the rules and boundaries. I once had a roommate whose boyfriend would sometimes stay over. He assumed he had to right to change the TV channel in the middle of whatever I was watching, to help himself to anything he wanted and leave the bathroom in a mess when he finished using it. This didn't go over very well with me. If you all respect each other it should work out just fine.