Pointesettia and Riley

galt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Riley loves Christmas. There are bulbs to shatter, tinsel to tangle, and pine cones to bat around.
It's the most wonderful time of the year, neh? But, I am wondering about that Christmas flower, pointsettia. I thought I heard once that it's poisonous to cats. Is this true? Should I get rid of the ones the neighbors gave me?

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they are poisonous! You don't have to get rid of them, but please put them in a place where the cats cannot get to them. Also watch out for leaves that fall from them.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just posted this in another thread, but here it is again:

While they can be irritating, a cat would have to literally eat the entire plant for it to really cause them harm.

http://www.icangarden.com/document.c...il&itemid=4526

According to the Society of American Florists (SAF), the poinsettia is the most widely tested consumer plant on the market today and research has proven over and over again that the plant is not toxic.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally wouldn't risk it. Mosi is the kind of cat who would see eating the entire plant as a personal challenge.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

I personally wouldn't risk it. Mosi is the kind of cat who would see eating the entire plant as a personal challenge.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
My mom keeps them for Christmas time (and Oliver and I stay at my parents' for several weeks over Christmas)... Oliver's quite good about not eating any house plants other than his kitty grass (although he occasionally nibbles on a spider plant - found out that wont hurt him, but we discourage it)... anyhow, we have a dog too, so my mom's always making sure to pick up any leaves and buds that fall from the plants... I'd just keep it where the kitty can't get it and keep the area around it clean