Emma Scared Away the Babysitter!

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of you may remember that our Emma has occasional "temper tantrums". She screams at the vets, and she once screamed and hissed for a day after I had a friend over who had two cats: we've come to the conclusion that she just doesn't like the smell of other female cats and she feels threatened and goes into "defense" mode, which includes screaming hissing and growling.

We went away for Thanksgiving and had a new catsitter come to look after the buggers. Oliver was a doll, of course--but Emma decided that the catsitter needed to be yelled at. I was hoping the catsitter could come while we're away for XMas but I don't see that happening: she was afraid Emma was going to attack her. Plus, I'd hate for Emma to feel traumatized for the whole time we are gone. We used to have another catsitter when we lived in our condo and Emma never growled or screamed at her. Unfortunately, she's no longer in the catsitting business.

Anyone ever had a similar problem with a cat? How did you deal with it? Should I try to find another catsitter? I'm afraid she'll just react the same way to her.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm...I'm not sure I have any useful advice. You can try Feliway, etc. but I don't know if they will work. You might look into finding another cat sitter, but make sure they're aware that Emma will be "super friendly".
Or else maybe you could get a friend to cat sit that knows Emma & knows how to care for cats?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Emma no one understands her like mom....

My only advise is to have the sitter meet them prior to your leaving ...

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need more than a cat sitter.................someone that connects with her before you leave. Maybe you should do interviews with her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Poor Emma no one understands her like mom....

My only advise is to have the sitter meet them prior to your leaving ...
That's the thing, is the catsitter did come over and meet them both. Emma never really wants to socialize with strangers, so I didn't think anything of it. There was no hissing or growling or anything just her usual level of disdain.

She's just full of surprises, that Emma.

katje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she is any kind of catsitter with experience, she wont be shoed away that fast (at least in my opinion). Anyone who has a bit of experience with cats, knows they can be apprehensive when in a new situation, and clearly, yours fits the bill.
If i were her, i d come by once, maybe a couple of times and just ignore the cat, let her yell, and see what she makes of it, while we talk without giving her attention. Then you should go to her, and give her attention and play with her, while I just stay the same, to send the message that nothing has changed and you are not worried yourself so neither should she be. Then come back and talk.

it would be handy to do this several times to bring her out more, but when you are gone, and your catsitter does make an effort ,she ll have to come around and trust this person..nothing does that better than food, rewards,patience and play