Getting pee out of cloth?

callmezoot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does everybody use to get pee smells out?

As I mentioned in a recent post, one of our cats has just peed (not sprayed) on our bed. We had to throw away a very expensive comforter, sheet set, and mattress pad (recent wedding gift). A few years ago I had to throw away a mattress because of a roommate's cat.

Does anybody try to salvage these things? Do any of those enzyme sprays actually get the smell out to the point that humans AND cats don't know it was there?

The inappropriate peeing problem is a brand new one and I don't know how long it will last, but I'm not in the mood to throw away any more expensive things.

chris.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callmezoot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two follow-ups to my question:

-Everybody mentions "Nature's Miracle" is this the best stuff for cleaning up kitty pee stains?

-I've also seen "Feliway" mentioned as a preventative spray. Does this have a scent that is noticable to humans? In other words, could I spray this on my bed so that our cat doesn't pee there? Or is the feliway smell just as bad?

-I've seen "Petzyme" at the pet store -- is this stuff any good?

-What other sprays/cleaners do you recommend?

Thanks,
chris.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Primarily, I would advise that you take kitty to the vets. Inappropriate peeing is a sign that something isn't right with kitty! It will also allow you to find out the cause and work on prevention of future issues.

My Molly had a couple of issues with inappropriate peeing - she pee'd on the matress (she was promptly taken to the vets and diagnosed with a UTI and Feline Idiopathic Cystitis which she is being treated for and we haven't had any further accidents *touch wood*)

I used an enzymatic cleaner (Simple Solution - there are other recommended ones too) and it really has removed the smell. You do have to make sure that you literally drench the area so that every layer is soaked in it. Then you must let it naturally dry (generally between 24-48 hours)

Please do let us know how your kitty gets on at the vets and good luck with the cleaning!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CallMeZoot

Two follow-ups to my question:

-Everybody mentions "Nature's Miracle" is this the best stuff for cleaning up kitty pee stains?
Being in the UK, I do not know about this product, but I have seen it recommended numerous times on the board.

-I've also seen "Feliway" mentioned as a preventative spray. Does this have a scent that is noticable to humans? In other words, could I spray this on my bed so that our cat doesn't pee there? Or is the feliway smell just as bad?
Yes, Feliway can be used as a spray preventative, but it is generally for teritorial marking as opposed to inappropriate peeing.

In regards to spraying it on the bed, you'll still have to use an enzymatic cleaner to remove all scent of the pee before using the Feliway, as kitty will still be able to smell the urine odour.

There isn't really a smell to Feliway (I can only smell it if I lean over the Plug-in)

-I've seen "Petzyme" at the pet store -- is this stuff any good?
Again, we don't have this in the UK (that I'm aware)

-What other sprays/cleaners do you recommend?
I recommend Simple Solution as it's worked wonders for us

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What does everybody use to get pee smells out?

As I mentioned in a recent post, one of our cats has just peed (not sprayed) on our bed. We had to throw away a very expensive comforter, sheet set, and mattress pad (recent wedding gift). A few years ago I had to throw away a mattress because of a roommate's cat.

Does anybody try to salvage these things? Do any of those enzyme sprays actually get the smell out to the point that humans AND cats don't know it was there?

The inappropriate peeing problem is a brand new one and I don't know how long it will last, but I'm not in the mood to throw away any more expensive things.

chris.
My book on such things recommends a neutralizer, such as Enzyme D or Tuff Oxy.

alfecia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have found vinegar does the trick. I don't remember where I read it. But it works great! Wash the item in the washing machine with half a cup of vinegar as you would normally wash, just without the detergent. Then wash again with the detergent, no vinegar. Works like a charm, everytime. I have had a problem with them peeing on area rugs and towels, among other things. But after washing with the vinegar, they haven't peed on those items again. And I haven't smelled the urine any more.

Hope this helps!