Does Underground Cat Fence work?

dragonrides

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I moved to a farm about a year ago, we adopted two stray cats already living on that property, we took them to the vet and spayed both of them. They are adorable cats and we love them like our kids. A few months ago, my husband was killed so I have to move away to be closer to the city, my neighbours are taking care of the cats right now, once I find a house I want to take them back.

The problem is that my cats were always out-door farm cats, they love playing outside on our 70 acre property and hate to be locked inside. Although after they were spayed, they tend to roam a bit less. I am trying to come up with the best way to still keep them outside on the property of the new house, which is about 1/4 of an acre. Does anyone know if the underground cat fence will work. I know it works with dogs, but not sure about it on cats (and hopefully it doesn't hurt as much). Here is one of the product I found on-line:

http://petsafe-warehouse.com/cat_prd...ent_system.htm

Or, should I try something else?

I just want them to be happy and I just can't give them up. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't work - they just jump over the 'fence' once they get used to its being there, and the collar's too big for a cat to have to wear anyhow.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have friends who say it does work. I am looking into it as a solution for letting my cats out. And you can get small enough collars for cats - I have seen them. But I would also love to know others' opinions/experiences.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragonrides

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When Michael died, we had 7 cats - four of them are kittens. I was traveling all the time, so Michael took care of all them. He was such a great caretaker.

Anyway, I don't know whether my remaining cats (one is 2yrs old, one is 1 year old) will be able to fit in the indoor lifesyle. I had to move and had to gave away most of them, it was the worst in life to lose my husband and our pets

Also need to look for a new home, a cat-friendly environment will be an important factor, just need to figure out what product works the best. Since most people seem to be doubtful about the electric system, I will look into the enclosure system, the problem is that they seem way too expensive.

Here is also the links to the story, one of the suspects was officially charged with capital murder yesterday.

http://www.hendersondispatch.com/art...ews/news01.txt

http://www.hendersondispatch.com/art...ews/news02.txt

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, you are amazing - to be able to care about your kitties so much now after such a terrible experience, and not be able to keep them all on top of it! I do wish you hope for the future, condolences, and a nice place for your cats. Do let people help you everywhere - don't try to do it all alone.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss..............Unfortunately I do not think this would work for your situation. Thats a much smaller outdoor area and to try to confine them may cause more grief for all..........Maybe you should think about getting a indoor kitten and the neighbors could take care of the cats where they are happiest. Would hate to see another loss for you, and a kitten might be a great addition to your new place!

dragonrides

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want the best life for them and want them to be happy...I don't need kittens for myself, but so hard to give them up....I feel torn by this decision I have to make. If I can't even take care of myself, how can I take care of my cats? Just trying to think if there's any way I can work it out - I don't mind building a fence, spending the money...

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dragonrides

I want the best life for them and want them to be happy...I don't need kittens for myself, but so hard to give them up....I feel torn by this decision I have to make. If I can't even take care of myself, how can I take care of my cats? Just trying to think if there's any way I can work it out - I don't mind building a fence, spending the money...

Well if you think they might be better off where they are, I think a kitten would be great for you....you don't have to get 2, and cats are great listeners! Especially kittens, they have no clue but they know how to make you smile! Maybe a shelter kitten, then your helping a kitty find a home, if the others will be safe where they are.....

katje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
why not use those kind of fences they make for cathotels and shelters? Those kind of outdoor rooms, as such...that way they can still enjoy the outdoors, while being safe

dragonrides

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't need new pets, I just can't give up ours.
Cat Fence-in seems to work according to one person, I will probably try that.
Thanks everyone.