How much food should a kitten eat

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok Stormie is about 4 months old and well I leave out dry food that she eats somewhat, but she does love her wet food. How much wet food should I give her everyday because she will meow and meow until she gets it and so forht so how much food is normal for kittens that are growing
and today I gave her 2 so far and I will feed her and Bella again tonite, Am I giving her tooo much wet food??? She is not over weight or anything like that just to let all of yinz know

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of wet food and what size cans? Does she share a bowl with others or does she have her own bowl?

Personally, I am of the opinion that growing, developing kittens need to eat whenever they tell you they want food. The rule in my house is that if it comes into the kitchen with you, feed it. So long as she is a normal, active, playful kitten, I just don't think she can eat too often. You can try breaking the meals up into smaller portions more frequently throughout the day and see if that doesn't help some.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by gayef

Personally, I am of the opinion that growing, developing kittens need to eat whenever they tell you they want food. The rule in my house is that if it comes into the kitchen with you, feed it. So long as she is a normal, active, playful kitten, I just don't think she can eat too often. You can try breaking the meals up into smaller portions more frequently throughout the day and see if that doesn't help some.
If they're hungry......feed 'em.......

Yep,They follow me in the kitchen all the time

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I usually fill up their food bowls with dry food and then they eat as much as they like over the course of the day but then they get a wet pouch around 7pm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wickedkitten

I usually fill up their food bowls with dry food and then they eat as much as they like over the course of the day but then they get a wet pouch around 7pm.
See thats what we do with the other cats but because she is a kitten and was on medicine we would feed her 2 times a day and now she is always hungry she doesnt eat as much dry either now bella they get one can each every nite stormie and bella and they love it and through out the day they share stormie cant eat without bella

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About how many pounds is she? Try about 1/2 small can and see what happens. I prefer to not free feed if you have more then one cat - its hard to control weight in individuals when they are grown.

At 4 months you could give 3 meals a day - maybe 1/2 can split in half and offered around noon and supper (dry in the morning).

Is Stormie spayed yet?

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no Stormie is not spayed yet my moms gotta call the clinic and make an appointment and hope that we dont have to be there till 8 because she cant drive during nite time and it dont get lite out until after 7 anymore I think lol so we plan on making the appointment so within the next week or 2 she will be fixed and I leave dry out and before supper they get a can to split (its really saving the dry food tho) haha because they all want wet food and Bella never wanted it before so now I gotta watch with her I am not sure on her weight tho she did weigh 3-4 ibls last time we went to the vet and well she was skinny then because she had worms at that time so she has gotten her weight back we just gotta wait till its spaying time !

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

Ok Stormie is about 4 months old and well I leave out dry food that she eats somewhat, but she does love her wet food. How much wet food should I give her everyday because she will meow and meow until she gets it and so forht so how much food is normal for kittens that are growing
and today I gave her 2 so far and I will feed her and Bella again tonite, Am I giving her tooo much wet food??? She is not over weight or anything like that just to let all of yinz know
Here is what Kittens for Dummies says: For now, you have a real live eating machine on your hands. While your kitten's still little, let it eat as much as it wants.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep persi that sounds about right !!! She eats whenever she wants to and know I got some nutro treats and we know the bag sounds of the treats so I got her big but jumping on me and Bella who is a little big haha she was a stray ate as much as she wanted and gained the weight back and the vet told me because she gained all this weight she was over weight it was 2 lbs and I found her in the middle of July in 90 degree weather I just laughed at my vet haha, but her and Stormie eat together now (they even have their own food bowls but they continue to eat together) So Stormie eats as much as she wants when I got her she wasnt dewormed and UNDERWEIGHT and now she is looking great and she works all that food off haha

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I feed according to the body build - IMO its more accurate then specifying a certain amount of food. A slendar built cat shouldn't have the same amount as a larger breed.