TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › DUMB THINGS You Thought as a Kid
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DUMB THINGS You Thought as a Kid - Page 2

post #31 of 55
I thought I could go down the bathtub drain, because the "Scrubbing Bubbles" bubble guys did! I also thought that I could see Abraham Lincoln and George Washington peeking out of my closet when the lights were turned out.
post #32 of 55
For some reason I can't remember any silly things I thought as a child, but I have quite a few that my younger sister thought. Our father has always been a real joker and my sister believed pretty much everything he told her, no matter how bizarre or unreasonable it was.

Things my little sister believed:

* her dead goldfish Ginger, who had been flushed, would come up and bite her on the bum when she used the toilet

* furthermore, Ginger jumped out of her bowl because she thought she could fly; our cat did not try to eat her

* guacamole was made from the fruit of the guac tree

* our father was a back-up singer for the Eagles

* white milk came from white cows, chocolate milk came from brown cows, and multi-coloured cows produced a variety of milk

* the monster under the bed can only get you if your feet or hands hang over the sides

Oh, I did remember two things I believed (again, things my father told us): first off, that tornadoes couldn't come into our town because we were surrounded by lakes; and secondly, that even if a tornado did come to our town, our (wood-framed, aluminum-sided) house was stronger than the brick and stone houses on our street and couldn't be torn down.
post #33 of 55
I believed that all mothers had a third eye in the back of their head - this was because my mom said she could see what we were doing when her back was turned!
I also believed the monster under the bed was waiting for toes hanging out.
My brother was totally convinced a dinosaur lived in the stream at the bottom of tha garden and that it would come for him one night.
I searched the garden many times for the fairies I knew were living there.
post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyranson View Post
I believed that all mothers had a third eye in the back of their head - this was because my mom said she could see what we were doing when her back was turned!
I totally believed that too I'd always jump up on the couch beside my mom and look through her hair to see if i could find that third eye


lets see, i also believed that if i kept sucking my thumb, it would fall off (which by the way, it didn't really stop me) my grandad tried to tell me that everytime he saw me suck my thumb to stop me.
post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwan View Post
I used to think i could fly by jumping off the coffee table with teatowels

that's NOT True? hahahhaha I used a bath towel.
post #36 of 55
When I was young 3 and 4 my grandfather had this old type record player. You used to have to plug it into your tv to get the sound. He had this old record that had some corny song about a sailor looking for his lost Loved named Cindy (my name ) He couldn't find her and the Chous was "Oh Cindy OH cindy My true love lost." I used to beg my grandparents to play it. then every time they did I cried buckets ! I thought there was a man inside the tv looking for me and couldn't find me. I remember promising I won't cry and them giving in playing that dumb record and I'd cry.. I can't recall how many times that happened but it was alot..
post #37 of 55
I was scared of toilets. I thought they would suck me in.

ETA: My mom told me that when she was younger, she thought cats had eyes in their tails because whenever she'd go to touch a cat's tail, it would move.
post #38 of 55
I have no clue how old I was- but we were at my aunt & uncle's house and they had a kitten. I remember he told me that if the kitten bit me my arm would turn green & fall off- so I was so scared of that kitty for the longest time! What a turd he was.... still is too!

I also used to have issues with the toilet but mine were related to snails We used to have a tank that was over run with snails and my mom would scrape them out of the tank & flush them- I was always afraid that a snail was going to crawl on my bum!

Those are the only two I can think of for now!
post #39 of 55
I used to think that all trucks had to stop at the weigh stations on the freeways. I remember telling my mom I would never drive a truck, because I didn't want to have to get weighed all the time.

BTW I drive a truck these days, still don't want to get weighed
post #40 of 55
Thread Starter 
Also, my husband, as a kid, wouldn't say the star's name of that TV show "Hawaii Five-O" because he thought it was blasphemous (Jack Lord).

Our daughter thought that people on the TV could see you. I found this out when I asked why she was talking to the television!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post
Our daughter thought that people on the TV could see you. I found this out when I asked why she was talking to the television!
Apparently an elderly lady that my grandmother knew believed this when she first got a tv, and used to get dressed up as if she was going to a play.
post #42 of 55
Does anyone know the movie with the clown who spits blood out of the drains? Thats stuck to my head!! (my mother loves to watch horror movies) and untill this day im still scared of them so its not just a kid thing i swear!
post #43 of 55
My first few weeks of kindergarten i thought my parents didn't make me go to school on saturday & sunday. I later found out that all the kids got those days off
post #44 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwan View Post
Does anyone know the movie with the clown who spits blood out of the drains? Thats stuck to my head!! (my mother loves to watch horror movies) and untill this day im still scared of them so its not just a kid thing i swear!
Stephen King's IT
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fats McGee View Post
This is my cousin's fault: It was xmas or thanksgiving and we had ham and my cousin told me that it was the pigs butt and the bone was the butthole and I never ever ate ham again. True story.

Paahahaha... rediculous...

My dad told me that cashews weren't actually nuts but they were all the left over nut pieces smashed into a nut shape. I totally believed that until about 2 years ago when I first ate cashews around my boyfriend and he looked at me like I was crazy when I told him.

There are a bunch of others. I'll post them as I remember...

~Amy
post #46 of 55
These are hilarious - the Anti-Christ thing still has me cracking up!

I used to think that all moms were 3 years younger than dads because my mom - surprise, surprise - is 3 years younger than my dad. As it turns out, my husband thought that he would have to marry someone 1.5 years younger than him because that's the age gap between his parents.
post #47 of 55
Great thread!

When I was little, I had taken the saying that God makes each one of us unique quite literally. I must have been 4 or 5, and I ended up having to take a bath with one of my little friends after playing all day at her house. Imagine my surprise when we both had to strip and get into the tub:
Hey! You have the same kind of pee-pee as me!

I also thought I was the only one who could tell when a traffic light would turn green (by watching the light of the opposing traffic turn yellow, etc.). I do remember being in the car with my mother and saying "I bet you don't know when it's going to be our turn, huh? Huh?" And she played along a few times, but finally when she called me on my "knowledge," I was heartbroken.
post #48 of 55
I used to think that mom gave birth to dad, that he was her kid too, that we were ALL her kids.

I used to think that, with posters of people or animals or whatever, the eyes would actually be watching you. Mostly I believed that spies had installed cameras behind the eyes and were documenting my every move.

I also believed stuffed animals could come alive. I'd treat all my toys nicely and politely just because I didn't want to think of the idea of them all hanging out while I'm gone and making fun of me. I still treat them nicely, lol

I used to think that when I got that ringing sound in my ears, it was either satellite feedback or a message from aliens in space, so I'd stop and start talking to the ringing (talking in my head, lol)

I used to believe if you drew on yourself with permanent marker, it would literally be permanent.
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog View Post
I used to think that when I got that ringing sound in my ears, it was either satellite feedback or a message from aliens in space, so I'd stop and start talking to the ringing (talking in my head, lol)
Well in that case, can you please ask the aliens to stop calling me, I'm not answering and the ringing is getting annoying!


When I was young I used to think that if you were beautiful enough and someone came in your bedroom at night to kidnap you, they would change their minds....so I used to try to pose as I fell asleep.
post #50 of 55
hmmm I used to think it was impossible to get pregnant if you werent married. Imagine my shock when my 17 year old sister got pregnant!

I thought that babies came out of the belly button when they were born.

I was CONVINCED that if I swallowed enough apple seeds I would grow an apple tree inside me and I would never be hungry. I ate tons of them.

I thought that the second you smoked/were done with your first cigarette you would drop dead. Then I saw a man smoke 2 right in front of me and realized that wasnt true.

I thought that dogs and cats where the same thing just different breeds.

hmm thats all I can think of right now.
post #51 of 55
I used to constantly think i was pregnant as a kid because my tum was so round even thugh i was like 7 yrs old or something, i also thought god would have put the baby in my tummy!

I used to sit and watch out out the window (on christmas eve) to see if i could see santa in the sky, I was 10 yrs old and i had been told he wasnt real! I think i still wanted to believe it.

I thought if i pressed my head against the hot radiator it would fool my mum into thinking i had a temp and could stay off school, funnily enough it never worked!
post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quill_luv View Post
I thought that if you unscrewed your bellybutton your bum would fall off, so I never, EVER poked anyone!
**snorts** That is the funniest thing I have ever read.

Quote:
My husband used to lie awake at night when he was a kid, worrying that he might be the anti-christ, and just didn't know it yet.
Actually, so is that.
post #53 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstychik View Post
I tried the Marry Poppins thing too... and believed it until my umbrella flipped one day.
So, as I was walking to class today w/ my giant golf umbrella the wind began to pick up and for a split second I believe that I could use an unbrella to fly again. LOL
post #54 of 55
lol...when I was a child one house we lived in was on the border of new mexico and el paso texas...so over our fence was new mexico...my sister and I thought it was mexico...and we thought illegal immigrants would jump over our fence..lol one time we kicked a ball over the fence...so we went to school telling our friends that we kicked a ball over to mexico..lol
post #55 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaynna View Post
lol...when I was a child one house we lived in was on the border of new mexico and el paso texas...so over our fence was new mexico...my sister and I thought it was mexico...and we thought illegal immigrants would jump over our fence..lol one time we kicked a ball over the fence...so we went to school telling our friends that we kicked a ball over to mexico..lol
that is too funny
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › DUMB THINGS You Thought as a Kid