Super Thick Nails

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is a problem or not.....

I know as animals get older their nails usually get thicker- when they are trimmed regularly any new growth is a little bit thinner, right?

Maui just has really thick nails. Some of them I hardly ever have to trim because they don't seem to be growing
For a while I was just using regular nail clippers but I switched back to our kitten trimmers because it cuts from all sides. I think using the regular clippers made his nails weird
He's only 10 months old.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I know my Molly had a few that were thicker than the rest, but not all of them were like that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well not all of his are like that either. Some are thicker than others and some are pretty thin compared to the big thick ones

It's weird!

Some are so thick it physically irritates him when I clip them because the clippers have to crunch down so hard to get through- so it's kind of uncomfortable on his paw

I suppose at least they aren't pointy little daggers just waiting for a nice piece of furniture to scratch!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

I suppose at least they aren't pointy little daggers just waiting for a nice piece of furniture to scratch!
That's what Abby has!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does happen as cats get older. Sometimes it can also occur because they aren't scratching on posts and things, so the outer layers of nail build up. Have you noticed any other signs?

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Have you noticed any other signs?
Well I haven't noticed anything else, but as far as thick nails go- I don't know what else to look for!

The only thing that may be strange is that some of his nails are really thick and then he has others that aren't quite as thick and need to be trimmed regularly

I should mention this is our first time owning cats that aren't declawed! Part of it may be that his nails just seem really really thick because the kittens still have kitten nails- so by comparison they are very, very different.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I know my Molly had a few that were thicker than the rest, but not all of them were like that
My Molly has the same!

I bought a set of larger clippers (the ones that can be used for dogs too) as they reach easily around the larger/thicker claws and take the tip off a lot quicker!

I have no idea why some are larger, but my vets have said that there is no problem with them being like that!

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I notice it with some of my cats also. i knwo for sure the older(over 6 yo) have it and guessing its cause they barely move(LOL!!!) i see the younger ones get it when litter clumps to the base of thier nails-when i clip them the litter splits then. funny i saw this-just did charlies nails(9 yo) and he had MASSIVE nails

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Trouts nails always split when I clip them
Do you mean the layer they are about to shed split's off?

Cuz if you do- Maui's nails do that too and I don't think it's a big deal. But if you mean like the nail splits thennnnnnnnnnn I have no clue!