House Hold Pet class

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is anyone out there familiar with the HHP class for showing? What is it that judges look for? When is a good time to start showing a cat that gets VERY clingy (but not violent or vocal) at the vets? Any tips on preparing a 6 month old kitten for the ring? Do different registering organizations favor different qualities? Specifically, Dukes qualities???

I'm planning on showing Duke in the HHP class soon. I want to visit a show or two first though. If anyone is in the Chicagoland area and knows of any shows coming up, let me know.

Tiffany

*P.S. GoldenKitty45, I know this is your area of expertise, so I look forward to your specific advice. Thanks!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You asked for it, you got it

HHP is a fun competition. The only "standard" with HHP's is a clean cat, in proper condition (not too fat/too thin) and very good grooming - especially for the longhairs.

All associations require any HHP over 8 months old to be spayed/neutered. CFA is the only one that bans declawed cats. ACFA/TICA allow them but don't encourage it.

Its better to start young - 6 months is fine to see how they react. Ling was over a year old when we showed her and she didn't like all the other cats in the hall and got worse with each ring; so her show career was very short lived (one show).

You can train them to be handled like the judges would handle them. Practice on a table to stand nice, stretch them out (hind legs on the table - front in the air). You put one hand under the shoulders to stretch them. Also pet their heads and ruffle their fur a bit. Practice with a feather toy to get them interested in playing with it on the table or in the air.

Judges usually look for the alert cats. Or ones they've own as children. Some have a preference in color. When I was judging, my favs were the red tabbys and the calicos.

As far as what you need:

1. A few towels in a nice color to compliment your cat - you'll need 3 to go inside the cage on the sides/back; one for the bottom; one for the top and an extra one in case of an accident. Some clips or large pins to attach the towels to the cage.

2. Grooming combs, brushes, q-tips, powder (cornstarch only).

3. Small litter box - the clubs provide the litter (unless you want to bring your own).

4. Book to read inbetween rings, pens (to mark catalog) and any other thing you want to keep you occupied.

5. The cat and a carrier - can't just carry them in.

Good luck with your first show.

amaranth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hope it's okay if I jump in here with a related question. My cats are registered purebreds but are "pet quality," not show quality. Would they be able to compete in the HHP class? I'm thinking about introducing my laid-back kittens to it for fun. Thanks!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you could, but check with your breeder on that. In my ocicat contract since I'm buying as a pet, she has a clause in there that says the cat cannot be shown. I'm not sure if that means not show in HHP classes or just means in Premier/Altered classes.

I know if its a pet, it should not be shown in the championship ring cause its not show quality.

In CFA shows if the cat is too "purebred" looking it doesn't do well. But in TICA/ACFA they don't care if its too purebred looking - and some obviously purebred cats do very well (persians/maine coons)

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience with Cat shows - GK is right, 90% of the CFA judges I've met don't put up the purebred much in the final - most prefer the more domestic looking cats and presentation is very, very important! What I noticed is important to judges is: beautifully groomed, clean, healthy, and alert! A showoff who is not fazed by the crowds. Please be reminded that in HHP, you can put in a kinked tail or polydactyl cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cornstarch???

Dukes OK when I hold him, but if I put him down for a second its a free for all. Do you think he'll try to run off the table? How do I keep him still? Just the feather toy? What about treats? You can't use those in the ring, can you?

Whoa, that was a lot of questions in like two seconds, I'll post round three a little later! Thanks!

Tiffany

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cornstarch baby powder - not the talc baby powder. Its used at the shows on mainly white cats to take static out of the coat or to help clean up if they get messy.

You have to have one hand on the cat (usually the shoulders) to make them sit and then use the other hand to entice them to go after the feather. Some cats if worked with enough you can trust them not to take off from the table.

The judges can gage the cats reactions when they take them out. Most HHP's are on the scared side and they will handle them without losing them.

Can't use treats in the rings, but you can bring them to give at your benching area.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by amaranth

Hope it's okay if I jump in here with a related question.
Please! Ask away! You might ask something I forgot!

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What about broken whiskers? Will that count against us? I don't know why some are broken, but there are always at least two or three.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And dont forget a field chair, so you have something to sit on...

The days are long and you are supposed not to leave before all the finals are over.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to take Radar to a show but only if he calms down a bit when older, he's a bit of a livewire to say the least
But I can also imagine him winning over a judge with his friendly and playful personality.

So from the other answers, would I be right in thinking that I could still show him even with his umbilical hernia scar?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I would love to take Radar to a show but only if he calms down a bit when older, he's a bit of a livewire to say the least
But I can also imagine him winning over a judge with his friendly and playful personality.

So from the other answers, would I be right in thinking that I could still show him even with his umbilical hernia scar?
Yes! The only criterion is fit, healthy and neutered! Good grooming and a winning personality are definate pluses!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put Radar in a show NOW - sometimes if you wait till they are older (over a year) they don't take to shows as well. Males tend to like showing more then females. Most of my females (purebred/HHP) hated showing - even as kittens.

But the males.........well they all loved it (except the Turkish Angora boy)

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to show Wickett and he's very good about allowing me to handle him I'd just be worried about his reaction to the other people and cats. He's a big scardy cat and usually hides when we have company over.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone that unsure if their HHP will like it or not, should try a one-day show in CFA, ACFA, or TICA. You'll know after that day whether or not they have a potential show career.

You'll never know till you put kitty in the show

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I'd love to show Wickett and he's very good about allowing me to handle him I'd just be worried about his reaction to the other people and cats. He's a big scardy cat and usually hides when we have company over.
Yay! Another Indiana person!!!

Theres a show coming up in Crown Point on the 9th. I'll PM you the info if your interested. Even if only to check it all out.

Tiffany

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In 1992 I showed my favorite cat in HHP in loveland Colorado. He won the household division and got a plaque, plus lots of pretty rosettes(ribbons) for each time he finaled in a ring. I still have it. It now sits by his picture, and his little urn.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

In 1992 I showed my favorite cat in HHP in loveland Colorado. He won the household division and got a plaque, plus lots of pretty rosettes(ribbons) for each time he finaled in a ring. I still have it. It now sits by his picture, and his little urn.
What do you think were his best qualities that made him so successful in the ring?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

Yay! Another Indiana person!!!

Theres a show coming up in Crown Point on the 9th. I'll PM you the info if your interested. Even if only to check it all out.

Tiffany
I wish I could go if just to scope things out but thats the week before my finals and Crown Point is a bit of a hoof even from here. Although it does remind me that occasionall they have cat shows at the Century Center right her ein South Bend. I don't know if they are ever HHC or not but I think I'll keep and eye out for them. I have a feeling if he could keep calm that he'd show very well.