Checkbook

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you always balance your checkbook? One of my friends hasn't balanced hers in over 5 months!
I would go absolutely insane!
She just goes off of the internet banking that she has, and goes by whatever the bank says! I use internet banking as well, but I also keep my checkbook up to date - daily! I know the bank has screwed up once or twice on my account, which is why I always make sure my balance matches theirs!

I can't imagine only going by that!
Maybe I'm just a bit crazy

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I balance it by hand once a month, and if it does't come out to the penny, I have a fit!!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't balance my checkbook but I check my account daily and if Ihave any questions I call right away. I have been charged twice by a store and gotten it straightened out immediately. other than that i haven't had any problems. I also have a wallet full of receipts. They don't get thrown out very often so I always have proof of what i have spent and where.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never balanced a checkbook in my life. Which is funny, considering how anal rententive I am about details, LOL!

I throw extra money into my register each month, out of sight out of mind kind of thing, and this way I'm saving something, no matter how little, and I never have to worry about having a check bounce. My zero is more than zero. I just don't even want to know how much. If I knew, I'd want to spend it.

Therefore, no balancing of checkbook. VERY weird, I know, I admit it freely.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if you don't keep track just because the bank says that's what's in there doesn't mean everything has cleared, My sis-in-law who's kinda not quite right told me one time I still have money in there becase that's what the bank says
I use quicken, but lately I have been loosing my mind and I actually had $1000 less then the thing said
I thought wow that can't be right
And I have a few times sent checks and forgot to write them down. Actually I would rather do it by hand to

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should balance my chequebook, because I'm really bad with money, but I don't ... because I'm really bad with money.
I do check my banking online a lot, though, so I'm up-to-date on what's going on with my account. I have a good memory for details and can recognize problems on my account right away; my bank has always been really good about handling any issues I might bring to them.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I don't balance my checkbook but I check my account daily and if Ihave any questions I call right away. I have been charged twice by a store and gotten it straightened out immediately. other than that i haven't had any problems. I also have a wallet full of receipts. They don't get thrown out very often so I always have proof of what i have spent and where.
That's exactly how I do it. I never balance a checkbook, but I'm in my online banking account every day making sure all my purchases are showing up correctly and I'm not getting charged for weird things. I do it to Brian's account too. I've caught at least three fraudulant charges that showed up in his account that way.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have one, therefore i don't balance one
, but if I did have one, i'd balance it ever time i wrote a check

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never balanced my checkbook since I've had my first one.
I always go online and check the balance and our account everyday however that way I can tell if something's not supposed to be on there.
I've only ever bounced a check once the whole time I've done this.
Of course this time, I've put in like $600.00 extra dollars so if something comes up, I never really have to worry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Internet here... Used to keep extra and then balence out once every couple weeks

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I balance mine about once a week and check it online also just as often to make sure they match.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have no idea how often I balance my checkbook- probably 1-3 times a month depending on how things work out and what I have going on.

I kind of have an unsual method- at least from what I've seen. I don't ever keep track of my checks by writing them down in that little book they give you and I don't keep track of what I spend on my ATM card either!!! I check my balance online and when a check clears I write right on the carbon copy of my check the date it cleared.... That way when I am figuring out how much $$ I have- no date means it hasn't cashed yet and I have to subtract that right off the top! As for my ATM purchases- I hardly use my card and I only do if I have just deposited my paycheck and I know I have more than enough money for what I'm buying... It may be strange but it's a system that works for me!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH balances our personal acct monthly. He does the accounting for the farm (not much to do-wait for the yearly rent check!) and I balance my business checkbook monthly too.

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a set time to balance mine. I used to be sooo good about writing down every check right when I wrote it. But now I use my check card constantly, so its really easy for me not to bother to write it down. But usually at least once a week or so I get on the internet and balance it that way.

Once I get a job after graduation and actually will have more money to worry about, I'm gonna go back to writing down purchases as soon as possible, and keeping all receipts.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
balance everytime i use a check or the card. We are always watching the budjet so i keep track of every penny..besides more pennies means more toys for the cats, LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

balance everytime i use a check or the card. We are always watching the budjet so i keep track of every penny..besides more pennies means more toys for the cats, LOL
Same here!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never!
I've never even written a check

I use my card, but my account only gets used for storage room rent and my ebay account.
I check my balance twice a week online.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry Kenz....I don't balance mine at all....I just keep up with it online daily....
.....hey, it's hard enough keeping up on TCS & this Reese/Ryan divorce....I certainly don't have to balance my check book.