Reeses Keeps Throwing Up

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We took our cat Reeses to the vet on Friday to have her checked because she wasn't eating much and had thrown up 3 times previously. The first time we gave her some ham which I suspected just didn't agree with her, the second was just random to us and it was undigested food, and the 3rd time she was playing with her mouse and we believe she probably gagged on it and that's why she threw up. It was pretty worn looking, especially with the tail, so we threw that out. The vet confirmed she did have a fever and gave her some fluids and anti-biotics.

All day Friday and Saturday she was good, ate more than I've seen her eat in a week, and didn't throw up once. Even tolerated her medicine well once we figured out the best way to give it to her. This morning however she threw up again a tiny bit, again undigested food. As I was cleaning it up I saw her favorite toy (one of those feathers and a bell on an elastic at the end of plastic rod) on the floor near the bed. Then I remembered I heard her drag it into the bedroom a few minutes before so I know she was playing with it. The feathers are pretty well worn because she will bite it during play but now I think she's been chewing it when we're not playing with her.

She's scheduled for her spay on Thursday and I will mention again to the vet that she threw up, but I think this last time is related to something with the toy, just like I think the previous time.

Does anyone else have a problem with their cat eating or chewing on their toys and vomiting afterwards? Vomiting aside, what is the best way to stop your cat from chewing on their toys? She loves the feather toy but we'll just have to supervise her with it. But she also loved her mouse toy which we had to throw out. I just want her to have toys available that she likes that won't try to eat, that she can play with when we're not around too.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I often wonder what these pet toy people are thinking. I had wanted to get the feather toys too, but after watching the cats tear apart those cute little mice that they have for toys, I figured I would just be begging for trouble if I got the feathers.

It is hard to pinpoint exactly what is going on here.....is your cat allergic to foods of any kind, if you know? Seems funny (no ha ha, odd) that a toy could cause all this trouble.

I would be very interested in what your vet says, and in the meantime, if you think the toys ARE causing a problem, get them out of the way and the kitties can play with the cardboard roll from the toilet paper. You should see how they knock them about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

You know, I often wonder what these pet toy people are thinking. I had wanted to get the feather toys too, but after watching the cats tear apart those cute little mice that they have for toys, I figured I would just be begging for trouble if I got the feathers.

It is hard to pinpoint exactly what is going on here.....is your cat allergic to foods of any kind, if you know? Seems funny (no ha ha, odd) that a toy could cause all this trouble.

I would be very interested in what your vet says, and in the meantime, if you think the toys ARE causing a problem, get them out of the way and the kitties can play with the cardboard roll from the toilet paper. You should see how they knock them about.
No she's not allergic that we know, but as I said I honestly think atleast the last 2 times are toy related. Cat plays with toy, a few minutes later max cat throws up with toy in near vacinity. I don't think that's a coincidence

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, just for the sake of argument.....maybe it is something in the toy that she is allergic to??

I've never heard of that, but hey, you and I both know that around cats, ANYTHING can and does happend. Same scenerio, get the toys out of the way and try other thing, enpty thread spools, cardboard rolls, etc., and see what happens.

anavic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please watch carefully if she keeps vomiting. Look if she drinks more water than usual or if she pees more. In a thread that I posted ("intestinal obstruction"), I explained that my cat ate something solid and it obstructed his intestine, that's why he was vomitting and drinking more water and eating more than normal (because his digestive system could not reabsorb water nor process food). Vomiting could lead to dehydration, so check on his state frequently.

Have the vet touch your kitty's abdomen to see if he can feel an object there.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted another thread about cat toys and vomiting, but I felt the need to post a seperate thread. Here's the low down:

Reeses has thrown up a few times this week. About 2 weeks ago she went into heat and physical symptons (meowing, sticking butt in the air etc..) stopped last week.

Last Monday I noticed that she really wasn't eating a whole lot but didn't think much of it. That night we gave her a bit of ham, which she threw up almost immediately.

Tuesday she still hadn't eaten much so I thought we'd try giving her some other food. I tried a bit of canned food which she didn't eat much of, and we got a different kind of dry (Purina Deli Cat) which she liked and ate a bit more of. I also called the vet and they said that if she didn't eat by Wednesday morning, to bring her in.

Wednesday morning she did eat some more, and they said probably it had to do with her being in heat as the reason for her not eating much initially. Keeping her on the new dry food, she wound up throwing up a bit of food Wednesday night.

Thursday she was fine.

Friday she threw up in the morning, again it was some food. She was playing with her toy mouse at the moment before it happened so I figured she gagged herself or something. We brought her to the vet who put her on anti-biotics, gave her some fluids because she was a bit dehydrated, and said we could watch her for a few days. Her temp was a bit high (102.8). She was fine for the rest of the day, as well as Saturday. We gave her her medicine and she ate with no problems.

Today (Sunday) she threw up a bit in the morning, again, food. We gave her her anti-biotics. A few hours later I gave her a small treat. About an hour later she threw up mostly liquid with what looked to be some of the treat. She ate her food off and on during the day and about 8 hours later she threw up in two different spots, again, mostly food.

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and most likely she is going to want to do blood work. When we went before she mentioned doing X-rays but upon an abdominal examination Reeses didn't have any pain or anything associated with a blockage.

She hasn't been lethargic, tired, lazy or acting sick in any other ways. In fact she's been pretty hyper and active the past few days.

Hopefully it's just something simple like a bacteria problem that the anti-biotics will clear up or even the new food not agreeing with her. My only other concern is that she has a spay appt. on Thursday which they said they'll have to reschedule if she's still running a temp or throwing up. We want to get her spayed ASAP especially where she's going in and out of heat, but I know that this comes first.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How terrible! Could it be from switching foods too fast? Has anything like pesticides been put down lately? You know, now that I think about it, it could be a hairball that she just can't get up... try her on some good quality hairball stuff-see if that does anything. Also, has she been dewormed fo the first time recently? Or not at all? Could she be having a bad reaction to being wormed, or HAVE worms? I know when I get behind on wormings my cats seem to start throwing up...

Poor baby! Give her some hugs and kisses for me!!!!!!

Keep us updated!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to ask this question, but is she possibly pregnant? I understand that sometimes the female's stomach can be a bit off after they have been bred.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I put her back on her old food, Purina Cat Chow indoor formula, which helps hairballs if that may be the case, or if the Purina Deli Cat doesn't agree with her. I went to work around 8 after I put out the food and came home around 1 to find that she did eat a bit and there is no vomit that I can find. Hopefully there are no incidents today.

She was giving dewormer 2 weeks ago and then we just did it again on the 25th but she didn't throw up at all that day.

I called the vet and they said to just hold off until we drop her off Wed. night unless she vomits some more. I have to try and give her her antibiotics too, hopefully she doesn't vomit after that.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

How is our baby doing? Better I hope.
Better so far. As I said, yesterday morning I put her back on Purina Indoor Cat Formula and she didn't throw up once. She even ate the whole amount of food over the course of the day which throws my thinking that she didn't like this food out the window (which is why I switched to begin with).

Today so far so good as well.

So I'm thinking either she was getting sick because of the switch in food (which happened the next night after I switched) or maybe it just wasn't agreeing with her while she had a fever and as of yesterday it went away. Who knows.

So tomorrow we're dropping her off so she can get spayed on Thursday. Wish her luck

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope all goes well with the spay and she'll probably be woozy for a time afterward so they will probably tell you to go easy on the food. Hope all is well. Let us know, OK?