› Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Really worried about my cat, any advice appreciated
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Really worried about my cat, any advice appreciated  

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
A few days ago my cat Grey got very grumpy with the other cats, even her sister. Then she seemed to wobble a little when she would walk. That got worse to where she could not use her back legs for more than a few steps. I took her to the vet right away. They showed me the x-rays and they talked to me about the blood test.

The x-rays showed no arthritis or broken bones. Her bladder was about double the size it should be though. Also, the blood tests indicated that she has a infection in her urinary tract. The vet gave me some antibiotics and told me to keep her posted.

I've been giving her pills to her and I am sure she swallows them. She has gotten worse. She can't really walk at all, and she can't really stand up either. She just lays on my bed. She doesn't eat much or drink much water, and that only when I bring it to her in the bed.

Today she peed on herself in the bed. I gave her a towel bath to clean her up. Tomorrow I am having my sister take her to a cat specialist vet since the regular vet didn't seem to have much of an idea of what could cause this.

Have any of you had similar experiences? Any idea what could be the cause and cure?


post #2 of 14
She may have some renal failure there also. You are right in getting her to a specialist right away. Good for you. Hopefully he will be able to give your baby some medications that might help, but you need to realize that if it is renal failure, this is going to be for the long haul. There is no cure for renal failure, but with proper medications and support, she still could do very well.

You hang in there. Let us know how your baby does tomorrow, OK?

Soooothing headbuts and please get better licks from KittenKiya's Clan.
post #3 of 14
Take her to the vet and ger blood work and an xray. That ought to show you if the cat has stones or anything and it'll also show what is going on in the kidneys.

Good luck, and udate us!
post #4 of 14
Yes I am glad you are going to a specialist. My prayers are with you
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies and kind thoughts.

I brought her to the best cat vet clinic in Georgia. The vet noticed something on the x-ray that the regular vet did not: 2 lumps in her chest. Grey has cancer and apparently it has spread to her spine.

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done. He started her on a high-dose steroid program which works as an anti-inflamatory. He said that I could see dramatic effects within 48 hours, or there might not be any improvement. Even if there is an improvement, most likely it will only be temporary.

Since she's been home she ate a good dinner and drank lots of water, and even played a little with a string I was dangling in front of her (she loves string).

Her sister has been staying close to her and grooming her. I'm pretty sure she knows something is up. Nothing to do now but wait and take care of her.

About 2 years ago there was a pretty big change in her personality. She went from being pretty independent to being pretty needy for attention. She ALWAYS wanted to sit in my lap, she would sleep between my legs every night, and no matter what she was always close. In retrospect I think she knew there was a problem and she was trying to spend as much time with me as she could.

I wish I realized this then...
post #6 of 14
Oh dear God, I am so very sorry. Wish we could heal this headbuts and soooothing, calming licks to you and your baby, from KittenKiya's Clan.

I am so sorry.
post #7 of 14
How awful for you to get such sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.
post #8 of 14
I'm very sorry to hear that James, you really couldnt have known. It sounds like Grey is very lucky to have such a caring home.
Sending warm thoughts
post #9 of 14
That must have come as a shock. I'm sending Grey and to you. Please keep us updated, or visit if you just need to talk.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
I kept bringing Grey food and water to her on my bed. She would eat less and less each day and only drink a little water. I tried all of her favorite foods - clam chowder, smoked ham, tuna - she just wasn't interested. I tried giving her baby food with a syringe and I had a little success with that.

I made a little nest in one of her cat beds, I padded it with adult (human) diapers and that actually worked pretty well. We would sleep together and she seemed to be hanging in there. At least she did not seem to be in any pain though I know she got frustrated sometimes.

One night I woke up at about 3:00 am. She was next to me making short meows, but she didn't sound so great. I turned onthe light and she was bleeding out of her nose. I would clean her up but it just kept coming. She was having trouble breathing, and she seemed uncomfortable.

So there she was, wiggling a little from being uncomfortable, bleeding out her nose, making meows that sounded pretty bad. She was suffering. It wasn't a hard decision to make like I thought it might be...she was in pain and there was nothing any vet could do for her. I knew it was time to let my friend go.

I hung out with her for about an hour more, just petting her and holding her, and then I scooped her up on a pillow and drove her to an all-night emergency vet clinic. I told the receptionist that I had a sick cat and I needed to put her to sleep. I couldn't stop crying.

After a few minutes the tech walked us back to a room and me and Grey waited for the vet. She was a little younger than me, probably early 30's or late 20's. She checked out Grey and said that we were witnessing the last phase of the effects the cancer would have on her. Her recomendation was to put her to sleep because she was likely in pain and wasn't going to get better. I asked the vet about the procedure and she explained. She said she needed to take Grey away for a couple of minutes to have a catheter put in to her front leg.

She asked if I wanted to be there and I said yes. They brought Grey back in to our room and sat her on the table on the pillow I brought her in on. I was petting her and talking to her, and then the vet injected something into her catheter to make it so she couldn't feel any pain. She put that down and slowly picked up the syringe with the pink stuff, the over-dose of anesthetic. I kept petting Grey while the vet injected her catheter.

Almost immediately Grey stopped breathing. There was no movement at all from her and I knew she was gone. The vet presented me several options for what to do with her, and I asked for her to be cremated. I went to the desk, paid the bill, and went home.

That was 10 days ago, the saddest day of my life.
post #11 of 14
Oh Im so sorry May your Grey Rest in Peace and may you find comfort in the beautiful memories you shared with her.
post #12 of 14
I'm so sorry to hear about Grey. She must have been a wonderful kitty and friend to you. You definitely did the right thing for her. She is at peace now playing at the Rainbow Bridge. Hugs for you.
post #13 of 14
As hard as it was for you to make the decision, you gave her the ultimate gift of love by letting her go in peace. The potassium (orange stuff) stops the heart in just a few seconds. The first injection is a sedative to calm her. Doing the right thing even when you don't want to, is the best gift you give someone you love who is suffering-
post #14 of 14
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. When you feel ready, why not post a tribute to Grey in the Crossing the Bridge forum.

I'll close this thread now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
This thread is locked › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Really worried about my cat, any advice appreciated