dot on his nose?

strebor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is probably a silly question--my Snowshoe cat suddenly got a dot on his nose. It almost looks like he just put his nose on a Sharpie pen or something, I actually thought he had (he's very curious and intelligent and always poking his nose into things) until I noticed it got bigger and then stopped.

It's probably 2-3mm perfectly round, right in the middle of his nose. It's a dark brown color.

Is this normal for a cat to develop this suddenly as an adult (he's four)? He's been acting perfectly normal (I watch him like crazy because he does have a compromised immune system but nothing serious) and it just happened within a week's time. I assume he might have more under his fur but I didn't know if this was normal or not.

He developed it about two months ago and it hasn't changed since then and I don't think he has any more of them. He's an inside only cat too.

Here's a picture:

Thanks guys.

schwarzekatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha, that little dot just adds to his cuteness! I don't think it's anything to worry about. I had a cat who got dark spots on his nose as he aged too.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my Severino had the same thing happen to him he's 4 too...Both my girls got one on their ear...when it first happened I took them in but they said it was like an age spot...weird I know! But to ease your mind call your vet!!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it rub off? Spot used to get spots on his nose because he would make such a mess eating his food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strebor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Does it rub off? Spot used to get spots on his nose because he would make such a mess eating his food.
No it doesn't.
He actually only eats dry food, and he is a messy eater though.

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this is off topic, But PLEASE read up on feline nutrition at www.catinfo.org. I think you just might change your mind about feeding dry food (even the pricey kinds)! And it would be an excellent idea, in my opinion.

strebor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TrixtersMomma

I know this is off topic, But PLEASE read up on feline nutrition at www.catinfo.org. I think you just might change your mind about feeding dry food (even the pricey kinds)! And it would be an excellent idea, in my opinion.
He doesn't really like wet food, that's why I don't feed him it. I've tried a lot of types, but he just eats a little bit and goes back to his dry. I end up wasting most of it so I just stopped buying it altogether.
Any specific brands/flavors/types you'd recommend? I'd be willing to try it with him but he's picky.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is probably nothing to worry about, but if I were you, I would ask the vet about it at the next visit. I notice from the picture that he has a pink nose and cats with light colored skin on their noses or ears are more prone to a certain aggressive type of skin cancer. Like I said, the chances are good it is nothing, but it never hurts to ask the vet.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strebor

He doesn't really like wet food, that's why I don't feed him it. I've tried a lot of types, but he just eats a little bit and goes back to his dry. I end up wasting most of it so I just stopped buying it altogether.
Any specific brands/flavors/types you'd recommend? I'd be willing to try it with him but he's picky.
My cats wouldn't eat wet either. I tried all kinds and then there was Merrick's. They love it!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver has a tiny dot on his nose too! He'll be 5 in January... I always think it's a speck of dirt and try to wipe it off, haha... there's probably nothing to worry about as long as it doesnt change - I'd mention it at your next vet visit... I remember reading somewhere that orange/red tabbies seem more prone to this? Wonder if it's true...

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It kind of bothers me that it showed up suddenly i would prob have it checked out just to be on the safe side. Cats hair sometimes change as they grow older and the hair color comes from the pigmitation on the skin so just like those changes its prob nothing. Just kind of strange it happened fast.

strebor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I went and bought him some Science Diet wet food (since he likes their dry a lot), and he ate some of it but who knows what will happen tomorrow. Sometimes he'll eat it once and then never again.

I know he has a pink nose, but his ear skin and the rest of his body has darker skin. The doctor mentioned my other cat is the prone one and that this one isn't much to worry about for that.

I am going to mention it next time he goes in for shots or whatever, but I just wanted to make sure it didn't warrant a visit by itself.

3cats1dog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a stray. He has a few black spots on his pink nose. The vet said that orange cats have a predisposition to the black spots. It is not malignant. He told me it's nothing to worry about.