Potential new cat owner

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, this is a really great forum rich in information. My name is Jericho and would like to introduce myself to you all, I also have some questions. I don't own a cat yet.

I have several friends who are cat owners, and I think I know everything that it takes to own a cat. I live in an apartment complex that generally doesn't mind pets. Maybe 2% of the people who live here own pets. I knew someone in my building who owned a dog that allegedly was noisy and annoyed neighbors, so he was given an ultimatum, get rid of the dog, or leave.

I own my apartment, I am one of the first people to purchase an apartment in this building while it was still a blueprint, so nobody's telling me to move out.
But I would like to know, under extreme conditions, can a cat cause my neighbors to complain. I plan to keep him in my apartment most of the time. I worry a bit because people in this building aren't very sympathetic towards pets. So to the people who own cats in an apartment, can you share your experience?

thank you

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well myself I have always lived in a house but I do have an experience with my brothers kitties that were in apartments before he moved in a house and also my grandma lives in an aparment building that generally allows cats because they arent that noisy lol, but as long as they are more of an indoor cat than you should be fine thats how my grams kitties were and they lived to be about 20 years each and well my brothers cats were indoor but his one ran out (it was a stray i believe thats how they got it) and so they really couldnt keep it but then he got another kittie when he moved back to our town from the animal rescue league and made it an indoor kittie and it did just fine now even though he has his own house he got two more kitties and they are indoors, same with my grandma she got two more kitties that have no interest in going outside, and just make sure that you dont get a very vocal cat like a siamese (sorry for the spelling) or breeds that are very vocal so this way the neigbors cant really complain or anything if its not noisy or keeping them up at night or anything !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

just make sure that you dont get a very vocal cat like a siamese (sorry for the spelling) or breeds that are very vocal so this way the neigbors cant really complain or anything if its not noisy or keeping them up at night or anything !
thank you for your reply
that is exactly what I want, I have this lady that lives next door from me, she complains about everything, for the 13 years I have been here, she has never complained about me, but she always complains about other neighbors and their habits, and I really don't want her to have a reason to even complain.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ya thats how my brothers one neigbor was when he lived in the same apartment building as my grandma but different floors and I mean she complained about everything I would really like to see you adopt a kittie from a shelter but if you want to get one here is some info on breeds at a couple sites
http://www.cats-central.com/cat-breeds/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cat_breeds

I hope that helps, cant wait to see what happens keep on updating !!!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site!

For the first 2 years or so that I had Dori we lived in an apartment. Dori is very vocal, but I don't think it was loud enough to bother the neighbors. After the first few rambuctious nights we had, Dori began sleeping with me every night. This helped keep her out of trouble and therefore quiet at night while everyone else was sleeping

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and a warm welcome from Spain and my kitty-crew

I dont live in an apartment, but like the other posters I suppose its going to bother people if cats are vocal and calling out a lot. Females can do this when they are in heat, so it best (not just because of the calling) to get a female spaying as soon as is necessary. Also if you get a male and dont have him neutered, well he´s going to leave his calling card everywhere - in your house and, if you let him out, at places that will upset your neighbours

Anyway do keep us updated when your new fur-ball arrives

Enjoy the forums, as you know theres lots of help about caring for new kitties

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming you'll be keeping your kitty indoors? Cats are perfect for apartments, and I had one when I was living in one. I can't think of anything an indoor cat could to do bother any neighbor.

welcome to TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you all so much for your replies, I have began my search for a cat here

Here

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there Jericho
we're so happy to welcome you to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

Good luck on your search for a kitty. I'm not an apartment dweller myself, so can't help you with your question.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome!

I don't think I've ever had a cat that was so loud that the neighbors even knew they were there, much less a nuisance

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MCMaggie

I'm assuming you'll be keeping your kitty indoors? Cats are perfect for apartments, and I had one when I was living in one. I can't think of anything an indoor cat could to do bother any neighbor.

welcome to TCS!
Originally Posted by clixpix

Welcome!

I don't think I've ever had a cat that was so loud that the neighbors even knew they were there, much less a nuisance
up until 9 years ago, i had always lived in apartments. unless the neighbors saw the cat in the windows, they didn't even know i had any. you might consider getting a pair, so they can keep each other company. however, some complexes will charge a double deposit if you have 2 cats.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Jericho:

Welcome to TheCatSite and thanks for educating yourself on cats before you adopt! I've lived in apartments with cats before, and my recommendation to ANYONE who has a cat in their life, no matter where they live, is KEEP YOUR CAT(S) INDOORS AT ALL TIMES. Dogs, cars, warped people, environmental hazards are just a few of the dangers cats can encounter outside, and then there are fleas, mites, ticks, and other pests. Keeping your cat inside virtually eliminates any of these problems from affecting your cat -- and you. Your cat will be healthier, happier, live longer, and adjust very well to life indoors. We are 9 indoor-only, rescued, spayed/neutered felines, the eldest being 16+ Nicolas, and the youngest, 2-year-old Baby Su -- all live very happily indoors. If you love your cat, you'll want to be personally responsible and protective of him or her -- and keeping him or her inside is the best way.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions/share any cat chat with us anytime! Our devoted servant has lived with, loved, rescued, and advoCATed for cats all her life, so she likes to think she "knows cat".

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you clean the litter box regularly so your neighbours can't smell the cat (and if iys bad enough that your neighbours can smell it outside you will know about it!) I can't think of anything else that could cause them to complain as long as it is an indoor cat.