Kittens eyes

anerak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,
I'm new here and glad I found this forum!

I have persian cats that have been breeding, not intentional since they are house cats, but did nothing to stop it either. She had a real difficult time with the last litter and I had to run her to the vets hoping she didn't have a dead kitten in her. So...this litter wasn't supposed to happen, but it has and now I have 4 beautiful babies! One of them however, and I have already named him Popeye, has one eye open within an hour after birth. Is this something I should be concerned with? Will it affect his eyesight? Does anyone know? I don't know if the pressure from the birth caused it to open or what but I am slightly concerned about this....

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anerak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is still open. Fortunately, they sleep a lot and he keeps it shut mostly. I am going to call the vet, just finding it difficult being a single mom going to school full time and working full time...and I'm very sleepless today because that kitten cried a lot last night.

Thanks for the reply.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by anerak

It is still open. Fortunately, they sleep a lot and he keeps it shut mostly. I am going to call the vet, just finding it difficult being a single mom going to school full time and working full time...and I'm very sleepless today because that kitten cried a lot last night.

Thanks for the reply.
Anerak...welcome to TCS....let us know what the vet says. If you have an unneutered male...you need to keep him away from your female. Your female could become pregnant again and given the difficulty she had with the last litter, my advice would be to have her spayed after this litter is weaned. Your male should be fixed now and he needs to be separated from your female for a month after his neuter as he can still carry active sperm for a period of time following the neuter procedure. There are several low cost clinics and I would recommend that you contact one and get him scheduled very soon:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html#oh

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anerak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update...

Popeye's eye stayed fused shut for quite some time after the other one opened due to seepage. I took a warm washcloth and gently picked off the crusty stuff. The eye stayed opened and he's a healthy, active cat. All the kittens are thriving and if I can find how to post a picture somewhere on here, I will.

As far as my adult cats go, I'm afraid to neuter my male as he is almost 13 years old. The female is 7 so I'm more apt to get her in. My vet will still spay her even if she is pregnant again as long as I sign a waiver.

Thanks everyone for your replies and your concern!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as my adult cats go, I'm afraid to neuter my male as he is almost 13 years old. The female is 7 so I'm more apt to get her in. My vet will still spay her even if she is pregnant again as long as I sign a waiver.

Thanks everyone for your replies and your concern!
anerak...I can appreciate your concern...however, the longer your male is intact, the greater his risk of developing certain cancers. I think you should talk to your vet because there have been great advances with regards to how spays/neuters are conducted. I would also recommend that you keep these kittens until they are 10-12 weeks of age and see if your vet would be willing to spay/neuter them prior to them going into homes. I am glad you are getting your female spayed, but would definately encourage that you keep her seperate from your intact male until she has been spayed.

Katie

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is a lot of seepage, I would get the kitten(s) to the vet or at least call the vet for advise. Please, use a cotton ball dampened with warm water instead of washcloth.