How old is too much older to date? Help!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So now that I'm finally dating again.... I have a dilemma. I've agreed to go on a date with someone who I really do like, but he's 13 years older than me. I know age doesn't matter (well, after you're legal at least) but I'm still only 21 and it just seems like too big an age gap. I've heard both answers, yes too old, no not too old. And some good arguments on both sides. I know it would never be anything more than casual dating, for lots of reasons.

Any experience? Suggestions? Advice?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you like each other then the age difference has got nothing whatsoever to do with anyone else, because your the one who's seeing this chap not them.

Go for it, lifes too short

tilly tiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well ive been out with someone 19 years my sinior but enjoy the company and just take it as it comes

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it feels too big an age gap it probably is. If it's not something you're aware of when you're with him, it isn't. Forget about what other people may or may not think, and just go with what feels right. Age is just a number!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BF is 9 years older than my, and we started dating when I was 19 - nearly 8 years ago now.

Just take it slow and make up your own mind about him. The only thing that I would offer as advice to pay attention to is that at 34 he is likely to be a lot more settled - not just in his ways, but into his own life path. At 21 you are usually still considering various paths and whatnot. Be careful that you don't unintentional sign up to his life script if you realise you really do care for him - it's hard - but important - to keep your eyes open to what YOU really want to do at this stage of your life.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try it out..... but if you smell something fishy, get out. He may just want someone to lavish attention on, or someone he perceives as naive enough to take his oh-so-romantic ways. Is he single? Or, more accurately, are you sure he's single? DId you meet online? In a bar? At church?

If he's really looking for a relationship, and I mean commitment and all that jazz, GO FOR IT GIRL! Age is of no issue to me if motives are pure. More power to both of you, but take it slow and make him prove himself to you.

Don't let others judge you if you feel that it's right, though. It just may take time for you figure that out, and if he's sincere, he'll wait on you.

My mother married a man 9 years older than her, and I have always shared the same attraction for older men. Just be careful. YOu're only 21.... there are many other opportunities coming your way. If you and this older man have good communication, he will understand that and be patient.

"I will be your father figure... put your tiny hand in mine... "

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At the age of 27, I married a 55 y/o man and if he hadn't passed away, I'd STILL be married to him. Until recently, I was never involved with anyone, my own age. Now, I AM the age of the men that I've always been attracted to.

I'll be 49, next week and haven't been involved with a man under 50, since 1997 or a man under 40, since 1985.

If the age difference doesn't bother the two of you, it shouldn't bother anyone else.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always dated OLDER men...My late husband was 11 years older than me and my current husband of 9 years is 13 years older than me...If you feel comfortable with him then thats what's important. Don't over think it too much. Woman are more mature than men anyways!!
In my experience an older guy treats you better

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is worth finding out. My bf is 11 years older than me, (Im 25, hes 36) but we dont notice the difference except with ridiculous things like movies he knows that Im too young for!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Age differences don't matter in the slightest. Besides it takes a man longer to mature, so you being 21 and he being 34 is a good thing. He should be right along the same wave length as you.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me its too old...I will only date someone who is 4 years older. Your just in such different stages in life..and for me I would be wondering why this 34 year old guy is interested in a 21 year old student?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

For me its too old...I will only date someone who is 4 years older. Your just in such different stages in life..and for me I would be wondering why this 34 year old guy is interested in a 21 year old student?
As my father would have said when he was casually dating ladies in their late 20s-30s (he was over 60)...because he can be interested and date a 21 year old.
Obviously Dad dated women much his junior, and he married a lady I think about 15 years younger than he. He didn't like the women his own age because they were too jaded with life - he said they were either angry at what someone did or didn't do to/for them, sad about what they lost, or desperate to replace or find it. (His experience only.
) Maybe this guy is the same way - he may be wanting casual dating like Julie said, and the women his age want to marry and have babies, or are too into their careers to let loose.

Julie - age is only a number, and no one can tell you what is too much older for YOU. You are obviously very mature for 21 from what I've seen. I'd honestly be surprised if you weren't dating someone at least slightly older that yourself.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am 8 years older then DH we have been married 9 years works just fine, but I have alway's thought it's a bit better when the guy is older
But it works for me

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am 4 years older than my husband.We don't even notice it.
I would say give it a try and if it fells *good* then go for it.You'll know if it's right or not.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say go for it, despite the age gap, he may turn out to be perfect for you... and some guys are a bit slow on the growing up part of life, so at 34 they may be exactly where you are in life.

My BF is 11 years older than me, and now that I am older, hardly anyone mentions the age gap, even though my family had a problem with it when we met (I was the same age as you).

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I married a man that is 10 yrs older than I. So obviously age does not matter to me. I think the important question is does it matter to you? If you feel weird about it to the extent that you would not be able to enjoy your time with him then I'd think twice. If you think you can be happy with him then I say go for it.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, make the choice on YOUR feelings.Not those of society!!! After all, it is YOUR happiness we are talking about.