I'm angry and my kits need vibes!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, evidentally, my cat sitter has not shown up since Friday. Meaning, my kitties have not been fed since Friday. Nor has their litter been scooped or their water fountain been refilled, nor have they received any attention or been checked up on.

I am furious.

I am worried sick about them, but can't get back from my trip much earlier than I had expected (I can go back tomorrow morning, rather than tomorrow night). And I am just so frustrated! This is the last time I ask a friend with cats to do the honors for me. From now on, I'm going to fork over the $20 a visit and hire someone, like I did this summer. My boss from teh shelter came over for $15 a visit (he can discount, but not comp, since he works for a pet sitting group) and they were extremely well taken care of, and I got calls to update me. Now, my cat-loving and normally trustworthy friend "had stuff come up" yesterday, and didn't call me til today! AAARRR!!!

So, I called my landlord (I went to school with one of them, and we're pretty good friends) and left a message...if he's in today I know he'll go up and look in on thejm, but I don't know if he's in and I can't get through. Ian might be able to make it home tonight, so he can go, too.

I just am so worried. I need some vibes that my babies are ok.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

So, evidentally, my cat sitter has not shown up since Friday. Meaning, my kitties have not been fed since Friday. Nor has their litter been scooped or their water fountain been refilled, nor have they received any attention or been checked up on.

I am furious.

I am worried sick about them, but can't get back from my trip much earlier than I had expected (I can go back tomorrow morning, rather than tomorrow night). And I am just so frustrated! This is the last time I ask a friend with cats to do the honors for me. From now on, I'm going to fork over the $20 a visit and hire someone, like I did this summer. My boss from teh shelter came over for $15 a visit (he can discount, but not comp, since he works for a pet sitting group) and they were extremely well taken care of, and I got calls to update me. Now, my cat-loving and normally trustworthy friend "had stuff come up" yesterday, and didn't call me til today! AAARRR!!!

So, I called my landlord (I went to school with one of them, and we're pretty good friends) and left a message...if he's in today I know he'll go up and look in on thejm, but I don't know if he's in and I can't get through. Ian might be able to make it home tonight, so he can go, too.

I just am so worried. I need some vibes that my babies are ok.
I'm Sorry!
I hope the kitties are ok. I had that happen to me once.
It was horrible.

schwarzekatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I'm sorry this has happened. What a let down. Hopefully your Landlord will be in. If not, can your friend give your key to somebody else that you trust with it so they can go take care of your kitties?

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is not cool. I would be soooo mad
Your poor babies
I hope everything is okay and someone can go check on them and soon...

Sending some vibes your way

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sucks. That's what I'm always worried about when we go anywhere.
DH's mom watched our cats one time and she didn't notice that the a/c had gone kaput and was running and running keeping the house at a nice 80 degrees! I was livid when I got home and found that let me tell you. I always keep the house at 70. No more no less in the summer. I was upset and crying when I realized that one more day and our cats could've gotten very sick from the heat. (Our house is completely closed in the summer because of the central air.) I've been leary of traveling ever since.
I hope your kits are fine and everything turns out for the best. Hopefully your friend can let you know why your animals that you've intrusted to them are now not being cared for properly. Good luck and vibes for you and your kits!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my GOD I would be freaking out too, and this person would not be my friend anymore, I can guarantee you that. Geez I was taking care of a neighbors cats when my husband was killed in an accident and I had enough sense to give a friend the key so she could go look in on them and take care of them!!!!! People make me so mad!!!

I am sending good vibes to your kitties, let us know and have a safe trip home!!!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good vibes from here. Been there, done that. Sucks to have friends that don't at least tell you they can't help after all so you can make other arrangements.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I would be furious too
is she your friend? What could possibly come up that you spare one hour?

That is so annoying and unacceptable.

Lotsa vibes for the kits, I'm sure they are fine...just wondering what the hell is goin on. Poor babies.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angry headbuts and you are no friend bites from KittenKiya's Clan

I would just be climbing the walls. This is no way to treat our kitties.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One time (and only one time) I "trusted a friend" (and I use the term friend, and trust loosely, lol) to care for my dogs. They aren't like cats, they don't have a box, and you can just leave enough food out for them, they need some one to come let them out and feed them. My friend begged me to let her watch the dogs and stay at my house, so she could watch T.V. and hang out, against better judgement I agreed, it was only for the weekend. She told her parents she was staying at my house to care for my dogs, and stayed at her B/F's instead, she never even came over once! When I got home, not knowing she never had been there, there was poop on the floor (of course) and one of the dogs had jumped on the door and it got opened, and only one dog could be found! So I was freakin' out! My boxer was gone and I couldn't find him any where. It was almost a week before I did find him, he was hanging around some ones yard and they were scared of him, and finally ACO caught him and brought him into the shelter, so I had to pay to spring him, on top of worring my self sick for almost a week! I don't care if it's only a day, I bring any animal I own to the vets boarding facility! They are feed, watered, walked, and have some company, and paying for it, I know it is done right! (or even done at all, LOL!) I never ask any one to stay with my animals, or look in on them, they get boarded, if I go any where at all now! It can get expensive, but I can't replace one of my babies if they get out and killed on the road, or get lost. I hope your cats were ok when you got home!

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I would be soooo mad. There is no excuse for her not being able to come over and check on them when she told you she would.
I hope that your landlord can check on them.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Prayers for your kits that they are ok. I have either boarded or paid for a sitter. One of the first questions of a sitter is what happens if you can't make it? Do you have any backup?

I really don't trust my friends and family to have the same devotion to them that I do.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why I don't trust anyone to come care for mine and would just board them at the vet's (if leaving for an extended period of time), even with Pudge's fear of unfamiliar environments and general skittishness around strangers.

I've heard and read far too many horror stories about incompetent "sitters".

I hope your cats will be okay.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I would be furious, too! Is there anybody else you could call who could pick up the key from your "friend" and run over to feed and check on the cats?
My m-i-l looks after Jamie when we're away, but I have to admit that the first few times I had her sit, I also paid a neighbor's daughter to come in once a day, too, because I wasn't sure she could cope.
I hope you get a hold of your landlord.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending good vibes for your kitties! I'm sure they'll be O.K.

You know, professional pet sitters aren't always that great, either. We paid a woman $35 per visit (two visits a day) to take care of our cat and open/close the chicken coop for our three chickens. It was a tragedy I won't go into here. We got her name from our veternarian's office. (They took her off the list after I talked to them). Neighbors worked for us once, but you don't always have a reliable, willing neighbor.

I'm curious what solutions others have for when they travel, 'cause I haven't gone anywhere since then.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this
They're more than likely doing just fine. Probably very hungry and will be happy to see you, but they're probably fine otherwise. I know that doesn't make things any easier for you because you are used to giving them a certain standard of care, but try to be optimistic.

I can't stand when people commit to something then then shirk their duties.

A couple years ago I had cause to go to the ER by ambulance and asked my caretaker if she would look in on my kitties and make sure they had fresh water and food, and just to make it look like someone was home. I was more worried about my babies being taken care of than I was about my illness so I also asked my brother to check on them too...just in case. Turns out it was a good thing that I also got my caretaker involved because my brother was only going to my apartment 2 or 3 times a week and wasn't bothering to scoop the litter
So between him and my caretaker they managed to get daily care and human interaction though they were so excited when I came home after 2 weeks of being away. I think my youngest, Abby, thought I had abandoned her because she was all over me like white on rice and for weeks after that I had a kitty pasted right up against me wherever I sat or laid down
and I was tripping over them because they wouldn't let me out of their sight for a single minute.