or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Behavior › "Cow cat" personalities?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Cow cat" personalities?

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
So, I was bored last night and looking up random things on Wikipedia. (Yes, I'm a nerd.) Under the entry for "bicolor cat" they say cow cats (mostly white with black spots) are thought to have the following characteristics: "a love of water, big personalities and a playful nature". I have no idea where they are getting this info from, so I'm curious to see if y'all see similar qualities in your little white and blacks?

Miss Arizona:

love of water--Well, she's not the kind of cat who wants to join you in the shower, but she does love drinking running water, and she does seem to drink a lot of it.

big personality--check. She has an opinion about everything and is not shy about sharing it.

playful nature--at 6 years old, she's slowing down, but she does have her little games.

Your turn!
post #2 of 32
Well, my boy Spliff loves water...playing in it, drinking it, just not getting soaking wet. When I take a bath, he's determined to sit on me well I'm in the tub. A few stitches, antiboitic ointment and cuts later, I've finally smartened up and put a towel on my chest so he can dig into that if he "gets too wet" or freaked out. LOL.

I think he has one of the most mellow and care-free kitty personalities. He likes everyone, talks non-stop, and always has a comment for everything. He's a very loving, close cat.

and yes, he LOVES to play. At all hours of the day. And with anything. Actually he perfers random bits of garbage (Kleenex out of the garbage are his favourite), as opposed to store bought toys!
post #3 of 32
Well, Trouble's favorite bed is half of the double kitchen sink and he only drinks water from a dripping faucet, he does not like getting wet though.
He has playful spurts, but mostly I think he considers himself 'home decor'.
He does have a huge personality though and is a big, mushy lover boy.
He will sing for affection and loves laying on his meowmy.
post #4 of 32
Thread Starter 
Oh yes! Miss A loves to hang out in the sink, too. She used to lie on her back in the tub and nap (or stare into space--I used to joke that it was Kitty Meditation Time) when she was younger.
post #5 of 32
One of the most heard phrases in our house is 'the cat's wet again!' it's difficult to keep the little horror dry. If he hears a tap running he thunders towards it like a herd of elephants and plays in the water.

I voted yes to all three.
post #6 of 32
WOW!
I must have a weird 'cow cat'....she does NOT like water, will play with the other cats and is not very lovey-dovey. She will tolerate being petted but that's about it. Sit on my lap? NO WAY! She wouldn'y be caught dead on my lap!
She had 3 kittens in July, 2 ended up white w/black like her and 1 is gray striped w/white legs.
1 of them is really friendly, 1 hates everyone and evrything and the 3rd is somewhere in the middle!
post #7 of 32
Gizmo is interested in the bathtub, but does not like water.

She has a friendly and outgoing personality and is very playful and affectionate. But I don't understand what 'cow cat' markings have to do with her temperament.
I'm glad that she is such a nice girl, though! She is sitting right here with me as I type, which we both enjoy.
post #8 of 32
There's a Japanese cat that's white with only a little black and it likes to swim - maybe that's where they got the idea?
post #9 of 32
Dunno if my van MC counts, because of the spot on the head but she is all of th above. I've never had a cat that loves water so much.
post #10 of 32
Yeah, all three apply to Radar, but I'd say that has more to do with his breed than his markings
post #11 of 32
I have never noticed a difference in "cow" cats. My neighbor has a ton of black and white cats and they are not noticably fond of water. I don't see how coat color could make any difference though.
post #12 of 32
I have 3 they don't like water, there all related to Maybe it's a family phobia actually only Zinger like to watch the water, Dunkin gets in and out of the shower but without water He's Orange I don't see how color could have anything to do with that, I'd think it would depend on the cat itself
post #13 of 32
Thread Starter 
I also thought it sounded unlikely that a cat's color alone would be indicative of behavior...but I guess the cow pattern is at least indicative of insane levels of cuteness
post #14 of 32

I got a "cow kitty" a few months ago. He is now six months. WOW does he love, love , love water!!!! He is obsessed!

He is very playful, not the friendliest with strangers, but he loves me. He follows me around the house. 

They are not very vocal.

I love my new baby!!!!

post #15 of 32

Well, I agree with this cow cat description. I am not an owner, but often followed by a cow cat EVERYWHERE.... I know its a supernatural event. I been seeing this cat since I was a teen, and now I am in my late 30s. I have noticed it shows up when I have a major issue or feel like their is something active from the spirit realm near me... acts like a protector. I often think of it as my own little personal angel from God. He shows up, I make sure my path is righteous and I pray if there is an evil near. These cats r rare, so its not a cat u see everywhere. I just wanted some evidence... I guess I am a nerd too for looking this up. I know I am sent here n a mission from god to keep balance... I think the black n white representation says it all... complete balance (darkness and light)...... but, that's just a thought. So, that outgoing personality makes sense, being a protector......It never allows me 2 get near him or touch him, but e allows me to look in his eyes and I feel a sense of calmness.... like he is telling me he has my back.

 

 

Destiny

post #16 of 32

Hi my cow cat Shakira loves loves loves atention and lying i mine or my husbands lap. she likes to play With water With her paws mostly if it's in a bowl but also sometimes With runny water.

 

she sometimes drinks from her paw instead of straight from the bowl anny other cats do that? 

 

she hates beeing alone she follows where ever we go in the house and if we shut a door between us and the cat she eighter mioaw til we open it or let her join us

 

 

try out game for cats on ipad it's a hit here she loves it

 

from a happy and Lucky cow cat owner

post #17 of 32

black and white  cats is not the same as white cats With spots on and it might be something more like a kind of breed even if they arent counted as one and breeds can have different ways of ackting

post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinyrocs View Post

Well, I agree with this cow cat description. I am not an owner, but often followed by a cow cat EVERYWHERE.... I know its a supernatural event. I been seeing this cat since I was a teen, and now I am in my late 30s. I have noticed it shows up when I have a major issue or feel like their is something active from the spirit realm near me... acts like a protector. I often think of it as my own little personal angel from God. He shows up, I make sure my path is righteous and I pray if there is an evil near. These cats r rare, so its not a cat u see everywhere. I just wanted some evidence... I guess I am a nerd too for looking this up. I know I am sent here n a mission from god to keep balance... I think the black n white representation says it all... complete balance (darkness and light)...... but, that's just a thought. So, that outgoing personality makes sense, being a protector......It never allows me 2 get near him or touch him, but e allows me to look in his eyes and I feel a sense of calmness.... like he is telling me he has my back.

 

 

Destiny

This is one of the most abnosome descriptions/analyses of the cow cat phenomenon I have read thus far - proof that an idea doesnt have to be normal to be awesome!

post #19 of 32
I dunno,... I guess somebody at some point made that observation in a book about cats, and then somebody edited it into Wikipedia. Whether that's true is anybody's guess. Like with how calico cats have an attitude and orange boys are sweet. There's no real scientific data on whether the cats really do have those personalities. And it could be half human perception too: Maybe if you see an orange boy, you notice his sweetness more. Or maybe if you see a tortie, you interpret things as "attitude" that you wouldn't normally interpret that way. Subconsciously, you know.

Could be true, could be false. The "big personality" bit is a bit vague. But, whatever--if people like to speculate on whether their cats' coloring affects their cats' personalities, let 'em. They're not doing any harm, after all.
post #20 of 32

I'm sure that a cat's coloring has nothing to do with their temperment, but it is interesting to compare the personalities and behaviors. I am the humble servant to 3 cow cats, Gizmo (there is another Gizmo mentioned above), Simple Simon and Sophie Sashay. All were rescued from the same place so most likely related, but certainly not litter mates. All 3 definitely get a check mark in the "big personality" box. Gizmo is a big tease and very playful. Sophie is a sweetie pie. Simon is Simon, not the smartest cat in the world, but so funny. One of his many quirks; he's a fainting cat. Ever heard of the fainting goats? Well, Simon is the cat version. He doesn't really faint, he just collapses, mostly against another cat, so that I can pet him or the other cat can groom him. Without any thought or even a glance at what or who is under him, he just keels over. Simon also thinks that turning his back (literally) on anything he doesn't like or is afraid of is adequate protection and makes the bad thing go away. None of them seem to like water, unless you count not having enough sense to get out of the rain (guess who that is).

        

Simon and Gizmo on top of a kennel       Simon after a faint                           Sweet Sophie Sashay

post #21 of 32

I had one of these cats who lived to be 20 years old.  She was incredibly mellow and affectionate, more than any cat I've ever known.  By age 18 she had kidney failure; with medication and hydration we kept her comfortable for 2 years. Eventually she just stopped eating and had to be put to sleep.  She was a big girl, fluffy and had enormous paws. She is missed.

post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcats View Post
 

I had one of these cats who lived to be 20 years old.  She was incredibly mellow and affectionate, more than any cat I've ever known.  By age 18 she had kidney failure; with medication and hydration we kept her comfortable for 2 years. Eventually she just stopped eating and had to be put to sleep.  She was a big girl, fluffy and had enormous paws. She is missed.

 

It's so hard to lose them. Sounds like she had a wonderful life and you took fantastic care of her. Amazing that you were able to keep you comfortable for 2 years after the kidney failure.

post #23 of 32
Quote:

Actually he perfers random bits of garbage (Kleenex out of the garbage are his favourite), as opposed to store bought toys!

Oh, yes. I don't bother buying cat toys - in my experience, they're almost always ignored in favor of a plastic bag, a ball of rolled up paper or a lost pencil.

post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ettina View Post
 

Oh, yes. I don't bother buying cat toys - in my experience, they're almost always ignored in favor of a plastic bag, a ball of rolled up paper or a lost pencil.

"Lost" pencil? You do know that they steal things, hide them, then sit back and watch you madly look for them, right? They have their own website where they post pictures of us and add humorous titles! :pix:

post #25 of 32
We have a fantastic vet who gets most of the credit.
post #26 of 32

I have a black and white cat and she does not like water at all, she is very playful but only with me. As for big personality, she does have one...and quite a vocal range, she can howl, growl, meow like a kitten, the whole deal.

 

My baby kitty is tiger-like and she does love water. Way too much, she loves to splash around in her water bowl and then run around like a crazy thing leaving footsteps all over the place.

post #27 of 32

Would love to see pictures of your girls! I have a  "splasher" too. What a mess they can make!

post #28 of 32

I have a little "cow cat" and he's the sweetest little boy! He's extremely affectionate with me and loves to be pet.. everything from literally just touching his nose to really kneading him lol. He LOVES to play.. he'll chase a laser pointer til he's panting and won't ever stop! He gets along pretty well with my other cat, but he does want to play a lot more than she does.. could be he's just younger, who knows. As for the water... he doesn't like to play with it. He drinks a TON of it, which I love, so maybe that's the extent of his water fixation lol. So funny how this is even a thread!

post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaSprinkle View Post
 

I have a little "cow cat" and he's the sweetest little boy! He's extremely affectionate with me and loves to be pet.. everything from literally just touching his nose to really kneading him lol. He LOVES to play.. he'll chase a laser pointer til he's panting and won't ever stop! He gets along pretty well with my other cat, but he does want to play a lot more than she does.. could be he's just younger, who knows. As for the water... he doesn't like to play with it. He drinks a TON of it, which I love, so maybe that's the extent of his water fixation lol. So funny how this is even a thread!

I'll bet that's your cow cat in your avatar. What a cutie! He looks like he is about to get up to something, which I'll bet he usually is :happy3:. Looking forward to more pictures of him.

post #30 of 32

You're absolutely correct and thank you! He's a little mischief maker, how'd you know hehe. It's because of him that I have child safety locks on my cabinets and doors.. he's learned how to open them! I can't wait to post more pictures of him (I take a lot, ha)!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Behavior › "Cow cat" personalities?