Is this a good trap?

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trap

Hi all!

Let me know what you guys think. Its a really good deal, I just don't want to get a trap thats extra scary (for the kitties) or difficult to use. All the other traps I have seen online are MUCH more expensive.

Love,
~ Bobbi ~

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you know who the manufacturer is - it wasn't listed on the site? Havaheart and Tomahawk are both good brands and if it is one of those, it's a good deal.

The divider is a good thing for vets. The protocall they use when you take a feral in to be neutered is to turn the cage up on its end to ease the cat in the bottom - they can administer shots to the cat easier that way. The divider prevents them from being able to move around in the cage. Most traps don't have that feature.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the manufacturer is the websites company. It comes with all the extra stuff, like the divider, cover, etc whereas the ones I have seen previously you have to buy all those things separate.

I sent an email asking questions about it before I get it. Hopefully Ill get a reply soon!
Thanks!

ipw533

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A good trap shold have easily accesible rear and front openings. I purchased mine from Tomahawk, and the rear has a guillotine-style rear opening (but alas did not come with a divider/isolator). True, the latter is useful for pinning and tranquilizing the cat, but it also is quite valuable when transferring it from the trap to a holding cage. The illustration seems to me to show a trap with only one opening. IMO, buy the divider but get the Tomahawk trap....

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ipw533

A good trap shold have easily accesible rear and front openings. I purchased mine from Tomahawk, and the rear has a guillotine-style rear opening (but alas did not come with a divider/isolator). True, the latter is useful for pinning and tranquilizing the cat, but it also is quite valuable when transferring it from the trap to a holding cage. The illustration seems to me to show a trap with only one opening. IMO, buy the divider but get the Tomahawk trap....
I have the same Tomahawk trap. The only problem with mine is that it doesn't always trip with lighter cats (regardless of how light you set the spring). The Havahearts seem to trip much easier for some reason. But the back door release is awesome and the Havahearts don't come with one.

The trap on the website looks more like a Havaheart than a Tomahawk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. I ordered it. I am not going to have a cage to hold the cats in anyways, so I will have to keep the recouperating kitty in the trap until release. Unfortunately, I am poor, so I dont have the option of getting all the expensive stuff for this. I will be relying on donations (hopefully) to pay for the surgeries, etc, as I simply do not have the money to do it. I have a hard enough time as it is. Please send prayers that this works out. These cats absolutely HAVE to be fixed before "kitten season". There are 4 females and about 6-8 males. As I write this, there are already two litters somewhere around here. *siiigh* i feel VERY overwhelmed, and it seems just when things start to look up, it falls through and I am back at step one again.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TrixtersMomma

Thanks guys. I ordered it. I am not going to have a cage to hold the cats in anyways, so I will have to keep the recouperating kitty in the trap until release. Unfortunately, I am poor, so I dont have the option of getting all the expensive stuff for this. I will be relying on donations (hopefully) to pay for the surgeries, etc, as I simply do not have the money to do it. I have a hard enough time as it is. Please send prayers that this works out. These cats absolutely HAVE to be fixed before "kitten season". There are 4 females and about 6-8 males. As I write this, there are already two litters somewhere around here. *siiigh* i feel VERY overwhelmed, and it seems just when things start to look up, it falls through and I am back at step one again.
Try to find a TNR clinic that would be willing to spay/neuter these cats for free. Below is a list of low cost clinics...I would call around and ask if they would be willing to assist you by spaying/neutering even 1 cat per month (then I would focus on the mom cats first..then the males...then the kittens).

http://www.lovethatcat.com/stca.html

Good Luck

Katie