I suppose I'll have to turn in my manly-man card

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It all started about 3 weeks ago, when I was buying groceries, and discovered that a loaf of my favorite bread had gone up again, and is near the $3 mark. Later that same day at a department store, I found Sunbeam bread machines on sale. Sooo, I bought one.

My first home made loaf of bread was actually quite good...but. It was just a big square lump, with no personality at all. And, the bread machines auger tore a huge hole in the bottom of it when I was removing it. So, a day or two later, I bought a cheap little sheet metal bread pan. I tried the bread machine on the dough setting, then baked the bread in the oven...hey, pretty cool.

Now I have 2 very nice corningware bread pans and bake a loaf of bread every 3 days, sometimes 2 (a white and a wheat). It is SOOOO much better than the stuff from the stores, and it's actually fun.

Well, I guess that between my kitty tribe, vacuuming and doing windows, baking and my collection of wolf figurines and antique oil lamps, I'll have to turn in my "manly-man" card.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

DH says he turned his in when he married me...He now does dishes, and helps with laundry. One day one of his old co-workers asked him how he got the tar off his hands. I quickly replied "From doing dishes"
I don't think he's lived it down yet!
Somewhere in the world is a box full of "manly-man" cards that have been turned it... be it voluntarily or not.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

Well, I guess that between my kitty tribe, vacuuming and doing windows, baking and my collection of wolf figurines and antique oil lamps, I'll have to turn in my "manly-man" card.
We may tease, but you'll never look back. A life without all that ancient tribal posturing is just soooooo much better.

BF is very feminist, can embrioder (he learned to make a present for a dear friend of his), loves women, his male friends find him extremely easy to be around because he doesn't do competive posturing... although, he still can't figure out why, when he was younger, so many people thought he was gay...

PS: antique oil lamps? pls post pictures!

Edited to add: female friends who find their own DHs faintly ridiculous at times respect him - for example, he knows, unlike at least a few confused males I know, that tampons do not - ever - have "wings".

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DH and I were talking about this yesterday. He isn't into professional sports in the slightest, and growing up in Ohio that was a sin of epic proportions. He said that he never really got a "manly man" card, and thinks that it got lost in the mail.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband has been baking bread for years now! I just wish he did it more often! He also does a much better job than I do vacuuming and washing dishes. If only he would learn to clean the bathroom!!!

Manly-man cards are just so over rated. Does any woman really want a beer guzzling, belching, unshaved, farting man who spends weekends sitting in front of the TV watching sports? No way!!

Any man with 8 cats and a dog is alright in my book!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Geez, wanna get married?!

Originally Posted by lookingglass

My DH and I were talking about this yesterday. He isn't into professional sports in the slightest, and growing up in Ohio that was a sin of epic proportions. He said that he never really got a "manly man" card, and thinks that it got lost in the mail.
The last guy I was dating wasn't at all interested in sports either which was very refreshing!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say if you bake bread that is really cool!! You don't have to turn in your manly card until you wear an apron that says "mom knows best"...

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I say if you bake bread that is really cool!! You don't have to turn in your manly card until you wear an apron that says "mom knows best"...
And if you ever get one, we want pictures!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It all started about 3 weeks ago, when I was buying groceries, and discovered that a loaf of my favorite bread had gone up again, and is near the $3 mark. Later that same day at a department store, I found Sunbeam bread machines on sale. Sooo, I bought one.

My first home made loaf of bread was actually quite good...but. It was just a big square lump, with no personality at all. And, the bread machines auger tore a huge hole in the bottom of it when I was removing it. So, a day or two later, I bought a cheap little sheet metal bread pan. I tried the bread machine on the dough setting, then baked the bread in the oven...hey, pretty cool.

Now I have 2 very nice corningware bread pans and bake a loaf of bread every 3 days, sometimes 2 (a white and a wheat). It is SOOOO much better than the stuff from the stores, and it's actually fun.

I don't think you have to turn in your manly man card I think if you are man enough to do what you like to do regardless of what the crowd says then it makes you that much more of a man and that's pretty impressive to me.
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

DH says he turned his in when he married me...He now does dishes, and helps with laundry. One day one of his old co-workers asked him how he got the tar off his hands. I quickly replied "From doing dishes"
I don't think he's lived it down yet!
Somewhere in the world is a box full of "manly-man" cards that have been turned it... be it voluntarily or not.
and on the voluntarily or not atleast it saves a nice young lady from having to train you and that makes it easier all the way around. J/K I wish I could bake bread I probably could if I tried

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Cool! We could have TCS wedding meet up!
Well we might need to have a TCS Bachelor first I personally think Mike is pretty cute and sweet

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
naw, it takes a real man to make bread.
i should know as that is like the only thing i bake hahaa.

but we will need to work on your the vacuuming and doing windows. lol,
hehe well i do windows, but i cant seem to find the power button for the vacum.

besides the cat should be more seen as a mans pet i think.
come on they sleep 17 hours,they love to play, and very god killers,
and they dont take orders very well(unless they like you)

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love home-baked bread! Too bad I don't like to cook ... and I'm a woman. I would like to see your wolf figurines. Are all the cats in your pic current family members?

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
First of all, real men don't need their manly-man card Those are for wimps who want to impress people who are easily impressed. As we are cat people, we don't impress easily. Any man who can gain a cat's respect is a real man in my eyes

This is how I started baking bread (couldn't stand the way the loaf comes out of the bread machine). Hubby and I then took a bread making class so I then got rid of the bread machine and went with a heavy duty kitchen-aid mixer. And for Thanksgiving, I made my specialty - a slow rise french bread with rosemary. Tasty, buttery and the house smells so nice.

Today I hope to make some cinnamon rolls.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

this is soo true about this state. I just love to pick on people here in cleveland , that aer hard core sport nuts(i do like but wont go out of my way to watch them)

are area manager is a total sport nut, and loves to brag about the players he meet
i just love to tell him sporta is used here like the old roman used the gladiator games
to control the simple people so they dont pay attention to the important stuff, along with i really cant watch something where men go around spanking the butts of other men..

please note i am doing this just to mess with him. so dont hate me