when we play our stalking/running game

calcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My question is regarding a certain new behavioral thing our cat Cal exhibited one night. I know it might seem silly, but we play a game in which I stalk him, chase him, he hides, maybe he stalks me a little too, and we just play that way for quite a while. I admit, I run around like a little kid
and we both get a good workout.
Anyway, one night, I was trying to act more like a cat, so I was kneeling behind the rocking chair and "stalking" him. I don't know if it were because I appeared cat-like or what that he suddenly ran towards me, but the rest of the night when we'd play our game, he'd stalk me and run right up to me! Kinda reminded me of when a little kid runs up to its parent, though he most definitely favors my mother the most. I didn't stay on the floor long enough to find out what he'd do once he'd reach me (didn't know if he'd jump on my head and attack, lol), but I was just sort of wondering what it meant. He almost had this expectant look on his face like he wanted me to play with him like another cat would or something. It was very cute, and I wonder if anyone else's cat has done this, too.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like Cal has found a kitty playmate in you.
The stalking/running game is a good way to sharpen the hunting skills. Your game seems to have begun with you being the hunter, now you both are at par. I think that later you will be having few surprises with Cal jumping out of nowhere to "tag" you.
Just remember - you started it.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

I think that later you will be having few surprises with Cal jumping out of nowhere to "tag" you.
Just remember - you started it.
I love it when they do that! Radar loves a good game of 'kitten chase' and it always makes me laugh when he leaps out from behind something, I swear when he does it he has the biggest grin on his face, waving his paws in the air. He always has his claws in when he does this, usually bats me on the leg and runs off, waiting for me to follow. It's great fun

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is such fun! I play chase/tag/hunter with my cats. You never know what they're going to do. With mine, it seems they love it when they startle me, especially if I let out a squeak. When I'm being hunted, sometimes I turn and raise my hands like I'm going to "get" them and they may reverse and run or roll over or jump straight up ... eek! If one stops in the game, I'll do a bit of scritching but never ever let them grab my hands. Only one tries it occasionally.It's great fun but wears me out. And watch out for stubbed toes!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one time I did crawl round the corner on all fours, Radar went POOOF, hair standing on end, fled into the kitchen, then ran back and batted me round the head with both front paws. I won't be doing that again in a hurry as it takes me a while to get up off the floor and I think he'd win

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

The one time I did crawl round the corner on all fours, Radar went POOOF, hair standing on end, fled into the kitchen, then ran back and batted me round the head with both front paws. I won't be doing that again in a hurry as it takes me a while to get up off the floor and I think he'd win
Head batting is the best! How funny!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats at play with each other will often run up to the other, stand on their back legs and pounce. Sometimes they'll grab their heads, kick with their back feet and bite, and other times they pounce and run away for more chase.

Yep - he thinks your a cat and he wants to play!!!

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL I love this thread. My Smeagol likes to jump out from nowhere and tag us. Trixter likes to be chased around, too. He gets SO excited! Cats are such humorous animals! <3 lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whew! I'm so glad you all do the same crazy things with your cats! lol I thought I'd look like a nut, but yet I was curious all the same.
Tonight, I finally stayed on the floor to see what he would do. He ran up to me, wrapped his arms around my arm and opened his mouth to bite, but then he walked off, so he didn't do anything bad at all. He did that a couple times, stalking me and then running up and pawing my arm. I think he really does want to play with me like he would play with another cat, and I have to admit that makes me feel pretty special 'cause otherwise he doesn't give me any kisses or anything! My mom gets all the attention. *little jealous* lol We had gotten some cat books 'cause we are so cat illiterate, and found out when they show their bellies, that means they are displaying trust to the person, and he does that sometimes, especially when we play the stalking game. I thought it was his way of saying "you got me, you got me!" kinda like a surrender mode thing, so it's very interesting now learning about why cats do the things they do. The one thing to still figure out, though, is how to keep him out of the Christmas tree.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats that lay on their backs do it for a couple of reasons. When they are by themselves, sleeping on their backs show that they are completely at ease and trusting of their environment. During a fight, the submissive cat will sometimes roll over to say they are giving in to the other cat. During play, I've noticed that the dominant cat will lay on its back to grab the other cat. Often times the dominant cat will scream at the top of their lungs like he is being hurt but I think its part of showing dominance. If he does that to you, just remember you may be his playmate, but you are not a cat, therefore by cat rules, he rules.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't keep away from this thread, it's great to know that a lot of us take great joy in playing chase with our kittens

Today every time I have walked near to Radar he has leapt up with a joyful look on his face and raced away like a cheetah and found somewhere to hide so he can pounce out and run away again should I walk past. He just looks so happy and excited when he does this, it really warms my heart that such a simple game can keep him happy for ages, and wear him out a bit!! It did make keeping him out of the kitchen while I was cooking difficult though as he kept dashing round like a mad thing

schwarzekatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been enjoying this thread. It's always good to know that I'm not the only crazy cat person who does this.