or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Intestinal obstruction
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intestinal obstruction

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hello. This is my first post here but needed to warn you about intestinal obstructions. Three days ago he vomitted quite a lot but seemed to be normal after that. I saw a chunk of rubber in the puke. Then, next day he vomitted a lot again and looked very tired and didn't eat, so I took him to the vet. The vet took X rays and said he had an intestinal obstruction and said that he was going to give him two enemas and if nothing happened then he was going to perform a surgery.

Well...my little baby had the enemas but didnt want to eat anything and seemed very very thin. And also, he couldnt defecate. The vet then said that he had to go to surgery. Apparently, cats are prone to get intestinal obstructions because they are curious by nature and nibble a lot of things.

The surgery was successful because they extracted a chunk of rubber and the feces that were adding up there. The vet said it was just in time. Today, he was discharged from the hospital, but looks very tired and although he eats something, doesn't want to eat a lot. He drank a lot of water though. Is it normal that he feels tired and sleeps a lot?

Everybody please don't doubt about taking your cat to the doc if you see it is vomitting and lost the appetite. It could be an obstruction and in these cases time is very valuable.
post #2 of 7
Oh honey, how scary that must have been for you. Oh your poor baby, too.

Thanks for the information, this is a good time to be sharing this with the holiday season coming up and so many new and exciting things for our kitties to chew on and play with.

Keep an eye on your little one and let us know how he is doing.
post #3 of 7
He will probably need a day to recover from the anaesthetic and a bit longer for the operation, as I imagine it was quite a big operation for him. Also, if he has been vomiting and not eating too well he will be even more worn out. Keep a close eye on him and try feeding him chicken breast and rice as this is very digestible and feed him small meals.

Hope he bounces back soon!
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Thank you so much for your good desires

Just wanted to let you know that my little Sammy has recovered very well! He is eating well, sleeping well and playful as usual.


post #5 of 7
That's wonderful news. So glad you took him in so quickly. What a good meowmy you are.
post #6 of 7
After my kittens was fixed, they were very tired and slept for a very long time. I had to hand feed them bit by bit every couple of hours and this goes the same with water. My Vet told me they need quiet room to sleep so do not disturb your cat but do check on him often.

One of my kitten was having problem defecating so I fed him vegetable full of fiber like squash and pumpkin. You can buy the baby food but I'm anal myself so I prepared them all from scratch. Chopped, cooked in plain water, and blend. He went in no time although a little bit of blood but blood went away after two days. I called up my vet and she said it's normal to have blood in the stool but shouldn't last more than 2 days.

I hear it's normal to have intestinal obstruction consider cats groom themselves. That's why they have hair ball and if they don't cough it up, it will cause intestinal problem unless you feed them fiber fruits and vegetables and that goes the same with the kind of food you feed your cat. There are hair ball control gel products out there but since I don't know what they have in them, I personally still go with natural fruits and vegatables. It's a bit of hassle but just my personal choice for my two precious babies.
post #7 of 7
Very often liquid paraffine is very useful in such cases. the vets are also using it.
You must of course know how to give it. And as with all forcefeeding: In the corner of the mouth, across the mouth, NEVER down the neck.

But as you Anavic witness. It is often necessary to see a good veterinary when there is a case of obstruction - because not seldom is it necessary to do surgery.
And the trick is it cant be too late... Better safe than sorry.
When in doubt - always consult a good vet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Intestinal obstruction