Bean Almost didn't make it..

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of you who don't know, Bean is my new kitten. He's somewhere between 5 and 6 weeks old. I got him last friday. He was a rescue and had tons of fleas when I got him. Well I flea combed most of them away, and things seemed to be going well. That was until Wednesday night. Bean was laying on my shoulder sleeping, when all the sudden he let out a kind of "help me meow" and had diareah all over. I instantly knew that something was very wrong when he tried to get up and couldn't.
This was at like 10:30 PM, so we called the emergency number for our vet and rushed him there. Guys I seriously thought that he was going to die before even getting to the vet. He was just lying on his side in the carrier, unable to get up.

When we got there, we were brought into an exam room, and as soon as they saw him, they rushed him into the back room. By this time I was already in tears, I was sure that we were loosing him.
The vet came in about 5-10 minutes later. She told us that the prognosis was very poor. His breathing was shallow, his red blood cell count was very low, even his heart rate was slow. She explained that he probably was not going to make it, she gave me the choice of euthanizing him then, or giving it an effort to save him. Of course I told her to do what they could.

She went back into the backroom again. A little while later she came back and said that he had a very high parasite load, and that the fleas he had when I got him were taking a toll on him. She told me the prognosis seemed very poor. She told me that they would put him on an IV, and gave him a blood transfusion. My boyfriend and I went home, she promised to call me if anything changed. I could barely handle it, I thought I would never see him again. It's amazing how attached you get to a pet that you've only had for a few days. I think it was especially hearbreaking because he was so young, and was just finally getting a taste of what a good life was like.

We recieved a call around 1:00 am. I was scared to answer the phone, I was sure that it would be to tell me he had passed.
But I answered. She told me that the situation was looking up. He was now able to walk, and eat and drink on his own. They would treat him for the remaining fleas and parasites. They kept him in a cage with oxygen just to help him along. I checked in on him again Thanksgiving morning, and he was still doing much better. They kept him all day Thursday, and I was able to pick him up and take him home this afternoon. He looks soo much better, much more energy. There's a twinkle in his eyes that wasnt there before. I'm just the happiest mommy in the world.
The vet bill was a kicker, over $500 for a kitten that I got for free.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you and your vet for seeing the possiblity of saving his little life, tiny but precious.

Bean, you work hard at getting well and growing up strong for your momma.

I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers for continued progress.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
So thankful that you were able to get him to the vet in time. I'll keep sending vibes that he will be home with you. soon.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im glad Bean is back home and safe with you again. Those fleas can be so dangerous, especially for tiny kittens. Way to go to you for getting him in so quickly, Im sure that saved his life!

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank for taking Bean into your heart!

He may have been free, but he is priceless!

I hope Bean is feeling 100% very soon!

schwarzekatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh thank goodness you got him to the vet and he could be saved.
Poor little guy has had a rough start in life hasn't he?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bean is a lucky kitty to have found you. Kudos to you both for caring so much for him. Healing vibes on the way to Bean and hugs for you and BF.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, Bean is so cute! I'm glad he's okay now.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, that must have been so scary! So glad that that little cutie is doing better, lots of vibes for a fast and full recovery

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the kind messages. I'll be sure to pass them all along to Bean. He's doing so much better now. I've seen a huge improvement in his overall attitude and health. I'm so happy that he was able to pull through.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like you've got a tough little guy!
I'm so glad to hear that he pulled through with quick attention from you and your BF, and the caring and knowledge of your vet.

It's funny...sometimes those "free" kittens end up costing more than you think. But whoever said it is right - Bean is priceless!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so good to hear that Bean is feeling better. What a lucky guy to have found you for a meowmy. Here's more {{{keep getting better}}} vibes for Bean.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I am so pleased that there is a good outcome and I hope he continues to get big and strong. Good on you and the vet for giving him that chance.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is nothing more precious than life!!!!! I'm so glad Bean survived and is doing welll. It sounds like he has a fantastic kitty mom.
I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope he has a long and happy life with you.

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sending Bean lots and lots of healing kitty hugs. Keep us posted on how the little guy is doing.