or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Bean Almost didn't make it..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bean Almost didn't make it..

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
For those of you who don't know, Bean is my new kitten. He's somewhere between 5 and 6 weeks old. I got him last friday. He was a rescue and had tons of fleas when I got him. Well I flea combed most of them away, and things seemed to be going well. That was until Wednesday night. Bean was laying on my shoulder sleeping, when all the sudden he let out a kind of "help me meow" and had diareah all over. I instantly knew that something was very wrong when he tried to get up and couldn't. This was at like 10:30 PM, so we called the emergency number for our vet and rushed him there. Guys I seriously thought that he was going to die before even getting to the vet. He was just lying on his side in the carrier, unable to get up.

When we got there, we were brought into an exam room, and as soon as they saw him, they rushed him into the back room. By this time I was already in tears, I was sure that we were loosing him. The vet came in about 5-10 minutes later. She told us that the prognosis was very poor. His breathing was shallow, his red blood cell count was very low, even his heart rate was slow. She explained that he probably was not going to make it, she gave me the choice of euthanizing him then, or giving it an effort to save him. Of course I told her to do what they could.

She went back into the backroom again. A little while later she came back and said that he had a very high parasite load, and that the fleas he had when I got him were taking a toll on him. She told me the prognosis seemed very poor. She told me that they would put him on an IV, and gave him a blood transfusion. My boyfriend and I went home, she promised to call me if anything changed. I could barely handle it, I thought I would never see him again. It's amazing how attached you get to a pet that you've only had for a few days. I think it was especially hearbreaking because he was so young, and was just finally getting a taste of what a good life was like.

We recieved a call around 1:00 am. I was scared to answer the phone, I was sure that it would be to tell me he had passed. But I answered. She told me that the situation was looking up. He was now able to walk, and eat and drink on his own. They would treat him for the remaining fleas and parasites. They kept him in a cage with oxygen just to help him along. I checked in on him again Thanksgiving morning, and he was still doing much better. They kept him all day Thursday, and I was able to pick him up and take him home this afternoon. He looks soo much better, much more energy. There's a twinkle in his eyes that wasnt there before. I'm just the happiest mommy in the world. The vet bill was a kicker, over $500 for a kitten that I got for free.
post #2 of 34
What great news! I am so glad to hear that Bean is doing much better now
post #3 of 34
Good for you and your vet for seeing the possiblity of saving his little life, tiny but precious.

Bean, you work hard at getting well and growing up strong for your momma.

I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers for continued progress.
post #4 of 34
So thankful that you were able to get him to the vet in time. I'll keep sending vibes that he will be home with you. soon.
post #5 of 34
Im glad Bean is back home and safe with you again. Those fleas can be so dangerous, especially for tiny kittens. Way to go to you for getting him in so quickly, Im sure that saved his life!
post #6 of 34
Thank for taking Bean into your heart!

He may have been free, but he is priceless!

I hope Bean is feeling 100% very soon!
post #7 of 34
Oh thank goodness you got him to the vet and he could be saved. Poor little guy has had a rough start in life hasn't he?
post #8 of 34
I'm so glad he made it! He's so lucky to be part of your family now!

Cheers, from
post #9 of 34
Sending Bean many healing prayers & vibes
post #10 of 34
Bean is a lucky kitty to have found you. Kudos to you both for caring so much for him. Healing vibes on the way to Bean and hugs for you and BF.
post #11 of 34
Aww, Bean is so cute! I'm glad he's okay now.
post #12 of 34
Oh sorry to hear this happened to sweet Bean...BUT so GLAD he's better!!!!
post #13 of 34
Wow, that must have been so scary! So glad that that little cutie is doing better, lots of vibes for a fast and full recovery
post #14 of 34
Thread Starter 
Thank you all for the kind messages. I'll be sure to pass them all along to Bean. He's doing so much better now. I've seen a huge improvement in his overall attitude and health. I'm so happy that he was able to pull through.
post #15 of 34
Sounds like you've got a tough little guy! I'm so glad to hear that he pulled through with quick attention from you and your BF, and the caring and knowledge of your vet.

It's funny...sometimes those "free" kittens end up costing more than you think. But whoever said it is right - Bean is priceless!
post #16 of 34
Oh my, I am glad Bean is doing better..what a little heartbreaker...so cute
post #17 of 34
It's so good to hear that Bean is feeling better. What a lucky guy to have found you for a meowmy. Here's more {{{keep getting better}}} vibes for Bean.
post #18 of 34
Aww, I am so pleased that there is a good outcome and I hope he continues to get big and strong. Good on you and the vet for giving him that chance.
post #19 of 34
There is nothing more precious than life!!!!! I'm so glad Bean survived and is doing welll. It sounds like he has a fantastic kitty mom. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope he has a long and happy life with you.
post #20 of 34
Sending Bean lots and lots of healing kitty hugs. Keep us posted on how the little guy is doing.
post #21 of 34
oh heck Little Bean .............heres sending some kitty from my crew........and some for you, it must have been a real tough time for you all.
post #22 of 34
Thread Starter 
Originally Posted by Lorie D. View Post
There is nothing more precious than life!!!!!
I very much agree. You can't possibly put a price on a life.
post #23 of 34
Definately not!

And at the end of the day, all they have to do is give you one headbutt, or one look and you would give up everything for them!
post #24 of 34
What a scary situation, I'm so glad he's okay! Our kitty, Figaro, just spent two days in the hospital (a huuuuge bill, yikes!) and I understand how worried you must have been. We had no idea what was even wrong with him for over a day, it was scary.

Pass along hugs to your strong little guy.
post #25 of 34
I just cought up to your thread. I'm sorry you had such a scare with little bean this week. I'm very glad to hear that he is now doing better though
post #26 of 34
Your experience sounds so heart wrenching! I'm so glad that Bean pulled through. What a trouper. I'm hoping he's doing well since you have put him in your signature. Is he growing healthy and strong? Do you have more photos?
post #27 of 34
I'm so glad to hear he's okay!!! You will not regret spending the money, I promise. Kudos to you for taking care of him and not putting him to sleep.
post #28 of 34
Wow, this thread got revived from a long time ago

Bean is such a sweetheart, I love the photo of him in your sig. Have you got any new ones of him?
post #29 of 34
Glad Bean had you to save him!!
post #30 of 34
Thread Starter 
Wow I'm suprised to see this thread back again. Bean did great for like 2 weeks after the origional post was made. But then he started going down hill again. I noticed he was acting kind of mopey, and then he threw up a couple of times. This all started at night after the vet clinic had closed. So I took him in the next morning, and by that time his temperature was starting to drop. The vet was kind of mystifyed as to why he had done so well for two weeks and then suddenly was getting weak again. They kept him at the clinic for two days, ran a bunch of tests. He tested negative for all the differen't disease. It turned out that he had a rare parasite that wasn't killed by the general dewormer that he was given. So they took care of that, and he's now a happy healthy boy again. I'll try to take some new pics today, he's grown so much already I can't believe it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Bean Almost didn't make it..