Just what kind of cats do I have???

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since it's Thanksgiving, we made our traditional way-too-big turkey. It's yummy!

Since it's Thanksgiving, I thought I would share with the kitties. Well, I should say, I TRIED to share with the kitties. I already know that Trent doesn't like any people food, or even wet cat food. He likes his dry kibble and that's it. OK, no problem. Ophelia started as a little piggy, being a feral kitten, but has become rather finicky as she's grown up, but she does LOVE any kind of poultry treat or wet food. Ginger is a little mooch. I'm sure this comes from her time when she was on her own and begged for food. Being cute, it was probably rather successful.

So, I offered the girls some very nice, juicy turkey breast. Ophelia sniffed it and looked at me like "What else ya got? I don't want that!"
Ginger was screaming for most of the day at the wonderful smells - even before it was put in the oven. When I offered it to her, she sniffed it, licked it, and decided it wasn't any good.

What kind of kitties do I have that don't like turkey?!?!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
same kind i do, no people food.
only thing i have to watch for it heyu going after cheese.

i have given them chicken, fish, just smell it, lick it and walk away

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of mine would eat it when they were kittens but they don't now. They beg for it but then won't eat it. A friend of mine had a cat that was a real chow hound all her life. As soon as the turkey in the oven started to smell she would sit in front of the oven and wait for it. She continued to eat it all her life.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You've got the same kind I do. I mean, come on! JinJin used to eat out of garbage cans when she was a feral, and now her highness cannot lower herself to eating my leftovers
Neither of them will eat any people food...and that includes tuna!

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here! I can't believe it all the strays that lived by my house growing up loved tuna and cheese (we didn't know you were not supposed to give them milk products/by-products) and one day I decide to give the kitties a bit of tuna as a treat. Mica sniffs it gives me her tail and leaves the room and Rocket sniffs it, licks it, and leaves! I put down there wet food both run back into the room and gobble it down. Toby my foster so far has not turned down anything.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Since it's Thanksgiving, we made our traditional way-too-big turkey. It's yummy!

Since it's Thanksgiving, I thought I would share with the kitties. Well, I should say, I TRIED to share with the kitties. I already know that Trent doesn't like any people food, or even wet cat food. He likes his dry kibble and that's it. OK, no problem. Ophelia started as a little piggy, being a feral kitten, but has become rather finicky as she's grown up, but she does LOVE any kind of poultry treat or wet food. Ginger is a little mooch. I'm sure this comes from her time when she was on her own and begged for food. Being cute, it was probably rather successful.

So, I offered the girls some very nice, juicy turkey breast. Ophelia sniffed it and looked at me like "What else ya got? I don't want that!"
Ginger was screaming for most of the day at the wonderful smells - even before it was put in the oven. When I offered it to her, she sniffed it, licked it, and decided it wasn't any good.

The same kind I have, Heidi! GAD it's frustrating! I wanna give my babies lovely treats and they look at me like I just stepped off a ship from MARS!
I've pretty much given up. Cindy will eat a tiny bit of butter; Suzy will eat a tiny bit of ham; Fawn just doesn't get it.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My lot will eat practically anything they see go into my mouth!
Tibby especially - he even smells my mouth to see what I have in there!

They do prefer to be finger fed (or it thrown into the lounge) though as opposed to having a plate of delicious meat put down for them! They like to pretend they are scavenging, I think!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heidi my two turn their noses up at turkey, chicken, any fresh boiled fish and prawns. They used to like a bit of grilled steak that i used to give them now and again, but now they snub that!. Like Frans though they do like a tiny bit butter, but will only have a few licks. I like giving them that to help with their furballs

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine come in different degrees of preference when it comes to people food. QT will not touch it, the kittens refuse anything grilled (must be the smokey smell), skinny likes only boiled food, wawa and joji like it including sashimi.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's too funny Heidi!, they've become the rather picky bunch

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What Radar wants is whatever is on our plates.

What Radar gets is the occasional treat of fish. We don't eat meat so he doesn't get any meat treats.

He once ate a pickled jalapeno - Nate dropped it on the floor and it was gone instantly. He seemed to enjoy it and it didn't have any ill effects.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heidi that's so funny. I've never tried turkey with the girls but they luuuurve chicken. Sashka will concentrate on you with pinpoint precision whenever you have chicken - she's been like that ever since she was a little mini girl. Lives for it - GAGS for it! Will have to get her new meowmy to try turkey with her.... (oh, now I'm going to cry again....)...

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All of mine will beg for any meat people food . . they all have what my DH calls the "suck in their cheeks and look starving" look down pat

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Two of my four appreciated their treat of a little leftover turkey - Katie, the poultry queen, who's been known to dive headfirst into a garbage can to retrieve chicken bones
and Pete, who will eat anything!

Claire sniffed the turkey, licked it, then walked away. Gracie didn't even bother. She'd rather have lettuce.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Tavia will beg for something and sniff it and walk away as well

Originally Posted by theimp98

same kind i do, no people food.
only thing i have to watch for it heyu going after cheese.

i have given them chicken, fish, just smell it, lick it and walk away
Tavia's the same way only I have seen her want the cream off of my cookies and that's it. She won't eat people food and is picky about her own food.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have the same kind of cats that I have. I tried to give them turkey and they don't really like it.

My dogs on the other hand parked their little furry butts behind me as I prepped the turkey for smoking, then again when we pulled it and sliced it. Now I can't figure out that one - I don't normally give my dogs people food therefore they never beg for it. The one exception is that they do get a little bit of turkey at Thanksgiving but they are 3 years old and last year we were out of town so they haven't had it for 2 years. I also noticed that every last dog in the neighborhood came up to my patio yesterday and looked thru the windows. I must have the doggie sign that says - turkey offered to dogs here. Or do they just read your minds?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

The one exception is that they do get a little bit of turkey at Thanksgiving but they are 3 years old and last year we were out of town so they haven't had it for 2 years.
I think dogs have very very long memories when it comes to acquiring food!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gone from spaghetti and meat sauce eating cat....Troika, to yogurt eating cat....McGarrett, to bread eating cat......DaMig, to cheese eating cat.....KittenKiya and NONE of the other cats, Pete, ChanKahli or Tammy-Timmy will eat chicken, bacon, cheese, yogurt......nothing. I don't understand it.

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This was Gizmo's first Thanksgiving and while he seems to like Turkey, he didn't go nuts for it. I was worried that he would try to jump on the counter with all the food up there but he hardly went into the kitchen at all yesterday.

Now had this been chicken it would have been a different story.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake is just like Trent in that he only likes his dry cat food. He will, under no circumstances, eat turkey, chicken, tuna etc. Jazzy, on the other hand, will not leave you alone until you give him his fair share of poultry or fish. I have to put him in another room with the door shut when I eat. Peaches will lay patiently by me and wait for a special treat. Sometimes I'll give them both just a couple small pieces after I'm done eating. Actually they like beef too, although not as well. I don't eat beef very often though. And Peaches actually gets the runs from beef. So niether of them get that.