brushing their teeth?

qwpoi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I have a tube of cat toothpaste and a cat toothbrush. How do I get my cat to not freak out when trying to clean his teeth?

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Logic Oral Hygiene Gel on Gizmo. She sits next to me on a sofa. I have my arm around her body. Her brush is a small, fingertip model (very small.) I got Gizmo used to my finger alone as a brush for nearly two weeks. As a result (and as a result of the sweet taste of the toothpaste) I can brush her teeth for nearly thirty seconds! Once a day is sufficient.

It helps that I have a huge old Mission sofa with vertical sides and a wooden top; it's not easy for the cat to back away on it or leap out sideways. Plus she does trust me. I do have to make sure that she stays on the couch, though.

The taste of the toothpaste appears to have made the difference. This stuff came from England but was worth the expense, if I don't have to have the poor little girl's teeth scaled now.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

I use the Logic Oral Hygiene Gel on Gizmo. She sits next to me on a sofa. I have my arm around her body. Her brush is a small, fingertip model (very small.) I got Gizmo used to my finger alone as a brush for nearly two weeks. As a result (and as a result of the sweet taste of the toothpaste) I can brush her teeth for nearly thirty seconds! Once a day is sufficient.

It helps that I have a huge old Mission sofa with vertical sides and a wooden top; it's not easy for the cat to back away on it or leap out sideways. Plus she does trust me. I do have to make sure that she stays on the couch, though.

The taste of the toothpaste appears to have made the difference. This stuff came from England but was worth the expense, if I don't have to have the poor little girl's teeth scaled now.
Do you have a link???

That is the exact way the vets over the years have said too...lol... 2 of 3 I wont try

jt23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your cat will no tolerate brushing, you can also just give them logic to eat without brushing, although it's not quite so effective. It helps break down bacteria in the mouth.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the address for logic from someone on this site. You can Google the brand name and find a supplier. I don't remember which one I bought it from.

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One thing to remember is you arent brushing like you brush your own, my vet was telling me its a coating that you are doing to their teeth.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Logic is very very sticky, and I guess your dentist is right. I still use the weeny little toothbrush on Gizmo though. Or should I not? Why make weeny toothbrushes if the cat does not need them?

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the tooth brushes are to help apply, he told me to go in a circlular motion with them, but you arent brush brushing like you do your own. basically use the brush to apply but dont "scrub" the teeth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qwpoi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey everybody...thanks for the answers....i will give it a try! fritz (my baby) is very jumpy and doesn't like to be touched. i'm doing my best to make him calmer.