Feeling sad after visit

bemyonlyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to my mom's house for Thanksgiving. Medley hasn't been the same since her brother Leroy disappeared. She didn't really respond to me or purr when I pet her. She also seemed anxious, her ears twitching and her eyes wide. She never seemed happy when I was over there. My sister said it's been this way since Leroy's been gone.

Seeing how this has hurt her breaks my heart. I couldn't help but take her aloofness personally. I just feel sad and I would give anything for her brother to still be with her. I know she'll never love another cat as much as she loved him. It just makes me hate the world, especially with the other loss I've been through. I knew she wouldn't go through this loss without her personality changing and her becoming a less happy, affectionate cat. But can I blame her for withdrawing? No. She has lost her brother.

I'm sadder than I can explain.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Medley - how wonderful that she has such a sympathetic person as yourself to be there for her. She is indeed grieving, and may I offer this bit of encouragement - my own Cindy lost her playmate Salem and for the next couple of years absolutely HATED the other cats, but this summer, I brought her from our fixer-upper house to our in-town rental to help "tame" my feral cat TommyScott, and after the first preliminary growls and hisses, it became love at first sight! Now the two are inseperable, and Cindy is just the glowingest, in-love kitty, and TommyScott is becoming more and more willing to be an inside cat everyday!!
As for the rest of you, not only are you aware of Leroy's disappearance, your minds can imagine all sorts of sad possibilities, and the not-knowing is pure agony

You are in my thoughts and prayers this holiday evening - I am truly sorry for your loss
Susan

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Poor Medley - how wonderful that she has such a sympathetic person as yourself to be there for her. She is indeed grieving, and may I offer this bit of encouragement - my own Cindy lost her playmate Salem and for the next couple of years absolutely HATED the other cats, but this summer, I brought her from our fixer-upper house to our in-town rental to help "tame" my feral cat TommyScott, and after the first preliminary growls and hisses, it became love at first sight! Now the two are inseperable, and Cindy is just the glowingest, in-love kitty, and TommyScott is becoming more and more willing to be an inside cat everyday!!
As for the rest of you, not only are you aware of Leroy's disappearance, your minds can imagine all sorts of sad possibilities, and the not-knowing is pure agony

You are in my thoughts and prayers this holiday evening - I am truly sorry for your loss
Susan

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many people don't think that cats have feelings like that. but I watched my KittenKiya mourn the loss of Old Pete for 7 months. That hurts. Give that baby and yourself time.

Who was it that sang: "If I could put time in a bottle..."? Well, time is a healer. You hang in there, we are all here with you.