My kitten has leukemia...

aurasmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Three weeks ago while taking my dog and my chinchilla to the vet, I fell in love with a small kitten that was being kept there. She had been found on the railroad tracks, and she was very tiny (she still is). I held her for a second before my mom said "we'll adopt her!" and so, Rukia was added to our family.

She gets along GREAT with Edward and Alphonse (my 7 month old twin boys), and she's getting used to Aura (my two year old). But sadly, when we took her to the vet yesterday, they discovered that she has leukemia... I was shocked beyond belief, and I still don't know what to think. All I know is that my mom has become very attached to her, and won't let us put her down. My dad thinks putting an animal to sleep when it isn't in any pain is cruel, and he's against it also. I'd never want to put Rukia down...she's so small, and so full of life...right now, we're keeping her seperated from my other cats (she lives downstairs, they live upstairs) and we're washing our hands before petting any of them.

I don't know much about feline leukemia. All I know is that there isn't a cure, and supposidly they can live anywhere from a month to 8 years. I'm hoping Rukia is strong enough to last as long as she can. I don't want to lose another cat, especially after losing Kenji...

If anyone has any info about feline leukemia, PLEASE let me know.
Here are some pictures of Rukia:

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am so sorry about your baby, I haven't had any experince with leukemia but I am sure there are people on here that will certinally be glad to answer your questions. What a Wonderful Mom & Dad you must have wanting to try and take care of that baby and by the way she is so darling looks a little like my Cammie when she was small. I wish you great luck and many many happy years with your darling girl, Be patient and someone will help answer your questions, Have a wonderful Day Sweetie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aurasmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you so much for your kind words, halfpint!! My mom and dad are great, really great. We're animal lovers, we always have been. We try to do everything we can to keep our pets healthy (sadly, I lost three this year: one cat and two chinchillas). This news is devistating, because she's so young...I think she's only 8 weeks.

I'll be patient and wait until I get more information, and make sure she stays healthy. Right now she's spunky and happy ^^'

aurasmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

What a beautiful angel! I pray that she will live for years! I am sending prayers for this sweet bundle of joy.
Thank you so much! I wish you many happy years with your cats as well!

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AurasMommy

Thank you so much! I wish you many happy years with your cats as well!
I have heard of cats living a long time with leukemia, so we will pray that yours is one of those.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I myslef had experience with feline luekemia and i lost my cat boo to it
but she did live a loooooonnnggg time, and of course we refused to let them put her to sleep because she acted normal and the vet had given us a timeline and she out beat his time line by a couple of years, because I was soo young I dont know much about and I am so sorry that your baby has it
and I hope she can make it as long as she can you said shes very playful and happy and everything I have a feeling there is going to be something good with this kittie
and like I said I hope all goes well !!!! I am sorry I cant be much help but my kittie had it and she lived to be over 8 years old so I though I would give you some more good vibes and hope, I believe that she was a couple of years old when diagnosed because they found it because she became very very ill and we gave her medicine and within a week she was back to her self and lived a goood couple of more years lol !!

aurasmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

I myslef had experience with feline luekemia and i lost my cat boo to it
but she did live a loooooonnnggg time, and of course we refused to let them put her to sleep because she acted normal and the vet had given us a timeline and she out beat his time line by a couple of years, because I was soo young I dont know much about and I am so sorry that your baby has it
and I hope she can make it as long as she can you said shes very playful and happy and everything I have a feeling there is going to be something good with this kittie
and like I said I hope all goes well !!!! I am sorry I cant be much help but my kittie had it and she lived to be over 8 years old so I though I would give you some more good vibes and hope, I believe that she was a couple of years old when diagnosed because they found it because she became very very ill and we gave her medicine and within a week she was back to her self and lived a goood couple of more years lol !!
That brought my hopes up, thank you very much! If your kitty could live longer than 8 years with it, i'm sure my kitty will too. Thank you! I'm very sorry you had to lose your cat to leukemia though .-_-.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's adorable!! I wish her all the best for a long and healthy life.
I just sent you a pm about my experience with FeLV.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful baby!!!! She is so pretty!!! Loving headbuts and wish we could heal the problem licks from KittenKiya's Clan.

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had several FELV+ kitties.
Buster only lived four months, but Missy lived 2-3 years, Smudge 5 years and Spunky about 7 years. So yes, they can do well for quite some time. With the exception of Buster, who was constantly sick, the other kitties enjoyed pretty good health until the last month or two or their lives. Make sure your other cats are current on their vaccinations.

Rukia is adorable. Did your vet recommend having her retested at a later date?

I came across this article the other day. I thought it sounded promising.

http://www.felineleukemia.org/opinion.html

aurasmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

I've had several FELV+ kitties.
Buster only lived four months, but Missy lived 2-3 years, Smudge 5 years and Spunky about 7 years. So yes, they can do well for quite some time. With the exception of Buster, who was constantly sick, the other kitties enjoyed pretty good health until the last month or two or their lives. Make sure your other cats are current on their vaccinations.

Rukia is adorable. Did your vet recommend having her retested at a later date?

I came across this article the other day. I thought it sounded promising.

http://www.felineleukemia.org/opinion.html
Buster only lived four months? *worried* well, Rukia is healthy right now. She's very fiesty and playful, she doesn't show any signs of being sick. That's why I believe she'll live a long life. My other cats have been vaccinated for FeLV, and they don't associate with Rukia any more -.-

Thank you for saying she's adorable. I agree, she looks like an angel, but believe me, she's a devil at heart! I don't know why my vet wants to see her again in a week, maybe they're going to retest her...the only reason I'd doubt that would be because the test came back as a VERY strong positive. My aunts all want a second opinion though, they think she should be tested again, and I wouldn't mind it.

Thank you for the link! I'll discuss it with my vet in a week!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rukia is absolutely precious. Look at that angel face
Sending out prayers for Rukia and your family that she continue to be strong and live a long a happy life

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rukia is beautiful!! God bless you & your family for keeping her & willing to give her a chance.

My very first kitten (many moons ago) was also diagnosed with FeLV...and yes, it was shocking to hear that your cat/kitten is positive. Obsession lived a very happy love-filled life of 5-years.

For some info. regarding FeLV with a more holistic/natural approach: http://www.angelfire.com/il/felv/

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry to give you cause for concern, but some background on Buster would probably help... He was about a year old when we adopted him from the shelter where he'd been turned in as a stray. He was thin and ill, and probably had been battling the disease his entire life. We were able to give him a few quality months of life. For a cat his age that was the equivalent of what? A year or two? I've never regretted it.

Read and learn whatever you can about the disease and what you can do to give her the longest, healthiest life possible. There's not a one of mine that I would have opted not to keep, knowing how things eventually turned out. Try to remember that she doesn't know she's sick or that right now there's no cure, she only enjoys each day as it comes.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sweet little baby she is and how wonderful of you and your family for giving her a loving home.
I hope she has many happy, healthy years ahead of her.

aurasmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you SO much everyone for your comments and prayers! Rukia and I really appreciate them. We wish the best for all of you and your cats as well!

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AurasMommy

Thank you SO much everyone for your comments and prayers! Rukia and I really appreciate them. We wish the best for all of you and your cats as well!
my cats and I bless rukia every night and morning when we pray for the kitties here. have faith! ***hugs*** Bobbie

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your sweet Rukia has won all of our hearts.

Bless you both and may you have many loving years together.