what cats cannot and can eat...

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i'm just about to cook something to eat and i am having onions and mushrooms, i know my cat will wail until i give her some, quick question really, are mushrooms and onions (cooked) poisonous to cats? i just wanna make sure incase i give her some :-S

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thats a no then
cheers i guess it's no food for her!

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Onions are the absolutely worst thing you can give a cat........it will make them anemic and eventually cause kidney falure THEN DEATH. Mushrooms are poisen as well..........DO NOT EVER FEED EITHER TO YOUR CAT!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A general rule: people food is not good for cats. Most people food isn't much good for people! I'm trying to get my pizza-and-tuna-loving cat to stay away from people food for the rest of her life.
Fortunately she shows interest in what I eat, but does not partake. That's the best thing for her.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

You might want to check out this site
That's a great link, Sarah! I knew about a bunch of foods on the list, but I didn't know tomatoes or mushrooms were poisonous. Definitely good to know!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Slave2_Ragdolls

Onions are the absolutely worst thing you can give a cat........it will make them anemic and eventually cause kidney falure THEN DEATH. Mushrooms are poisen as well..........DO NOT EVER FEED EITHER TO YOUR CAT!
Onions yes, but mushrooms? If they were "poison" to cats, I'd have a lot of dead cats. Pirate ate them for close to 23 years, and Jamie has been eating them for 7 1/2.
There are poisonous mushrooms, of course, and I wouldn't feed ones picked in the woods, etc., to cats or humans, but organic, store-bought mushrooms aren't going to harm them, and a lot of cats love them.

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tomatoes are a member of the deadly nightshade family!

I luvs 'em! but none fer the dawgies and kitties.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad my spaghetti and meat sauce eating Troika is not around to hear that!!!!! She LOVED spaghetti and meat sauce. Ate the onions and peppers too.

schwarzekatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fats McGee

Tomatoes are a member of the deadly nightshade family!

I luvs 'em! but none fer the dawgies and kitties.
I wonder why you'll find "tomato pomace" in some cat foods then?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

I am glad my spaghetti and meat sauce eating Troika is not around to hear that!!!!! She LOVED spaghetti and meat sauce. Ate the onions and peppers too.
So have at least 2 of my cats. I honestly feel that if you don't go overboard with anything, i.e., just an occasional taste, I don't think you'll kill your cat. I wouldn't sit down and feed them raw onions just for the fun of it though. I'm pretty sure that once the onion is cooked into a huge pot of spaghetti sauce there isn't much deadly ingredients left to kill a cat.

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After having only dogs all my life, having cats have been a nice change...no begging. I just have made it a habit never feed my babies anything I am eating. Then I dont have to worry when company is over...and they want to feed them nasty stuff...works for me *g