Good tuna or bad tuna?

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave Gizmo some Solid Gold Blended Tuna for breakfast today in honor of Thanksgiving.

She LOVES this food.

Thing is, I don't want her eating tuna much. I would consider giving her other fish though since it's the only wet food she will eat. Unfortunately her previous owners made her into a tuna junkie.

Is it safe to feed a cat mackerel or herring, say on a weekly basis? Is there a danger of UTI?

I'd rather keep her on the rabbit dry food if there is no good thing to say about fish. But supposedly the wet is better, and this is what she will eat. Nothing else works.

cheers

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Solid gold is 100% balenced ... ie the viatmins and minerals are at the right levals ... would I feed it daily , No .... Uti s and fish have a correlation and can just pop up... See Most fish is processed unlike chicken rabbit and beef ... The fish( flesh and cartilage are grd up ) processing allows fish to be higher in cal mag and phos as well as total ash

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get it now. Well, I got some Evanger's Pheasant too. I think she may eat it, but for the duration she's staying on the rabbit dry food. It is doing her good, she likes it, and there's no sense trying to force her to eat stuff she won't touch (every other canned food out there.)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Evanger pheasent is a lifesaver at my house... seems when Kandie wont eat that is one she will.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tuna that is formulated as cat food (e.g. Solid Gold, Trader Joe's, Nine Lives Tuna Select) is fine. The risk of giving it too frequently is that it can make them overly finicky. But there's no risk of it actually causing harm for an average cat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

Tuna that is formulated as cat food (e.g. Solid Gold, Trader Joe's, Nine Lives Tuna Select) is fine. The risk of giving it too frequently is that it can make them overly finicky. But there's no risk of it actually causing harm for an average cat.
Talk to my vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turns out Gizmo wouldn't even sniff the Evanger's pheasant. Okay, then. It's kibbled bunny for Gizmo for the duration, occasionally varied with California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato. She eats this, but not enthusiastically.

I don't want to give her any more tuna because of overfishing in the sea and the fact that the tuna isn't good for her. Thanks for the heads-up.