My Thanksgiving... :)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, this is my very first adult Thanksgiving, so I thought that I'd keep you posted with a thread. What I'd like to do is keep everyone updated with what is going on in my kitchen.

I've started cooking; I made the start of my stuffing. I cut up a huge loaf of sourdough bread, and put it under the broiler to make it dry. Before I put it in the oven I coated it with olive oil, butter, garlic, basil, onion powder, salt and pepper. Tomorrow it is supposed to turn into stuffing but we will see how that goes.

I've taken the Cornish Game Hens out of the freezer and set them in the sink to thaw.

I have yet to encounter a crisis, but I will make sure to post one if one comes up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

Please tell me you have Bit locked in another room?
He normally isn't interested in fowl. I've tried to give him chicken and turkey and he's just turned his nose up at it (silly kitty). He really prefers fish. The part of the meal I'll have to watch is the mashed potatoes. I put cheese in them and he'll dive into a raging pot of boiling oil to get at it.

I'll also keep you posted if he does anything funny. LOL

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I've taken the Cornish Game Hens out of the freezer and set them in the sink to thaw.

I have yet to encounter a crisis, but I will make sure to post one if one comes up.
Bit the hens are in the SINK first encounter waiting to happen

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Bit the hens are in the SINK first encounter waiting to happen
DH suggested that I put them in the refrigerator. I agreed. Now all we have to do is keep him out of: the flour, potatoes, sugar, cheese, lemons, and cranberries.

I've realized I don't have enough people coming over tomorrow for "Bit management".

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

DH suggested that I put them in the refrigerator. I agreed. Now all we have to do is keep him out of: the flour, potatoes, sugar, cheese, lemons, and cranberries.

I've realized I don't have enough people coming over tomorrow for "Bit management".
Uh Oh

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Lock up your bras and underwear company is coming!!!
I almost forgot about that. I'll have to make sure that all my dirty clothes are locked away in the hall closet.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question about yeast rolls I am making. Is it ok to ask it on this open thread? I'll bet YOU know the answer!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I have a question about yeast rolls I am making. Is it ok to ask it on this open thread? I'll bet YOU know the answer!
Go for it!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't decide whether to remind you to put your fruit away or not. Part of met hinks the company will be very entertained watching your boys hide bananas behind the TV while they wait for Thanksgiving dinner to be ready.

Good luck with your dinner Heather! I'm sure it will be fabulous.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

I can't decide whether to remind you to put your fruit away or not. Part of met hinks the company will be very entertained watching your boys hide bananas behind the TV while they wait for Thanksgiving dinner to be ready.

Good luck with your dinner Heather! I'm sure it will be fabulous.
Thanks...
One of my friends who is coming has be the reciever of a bag of bread from 8-Bit, so he sort of knows the drill.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got some roll dough rising - my great grandmother's recipe...at the bottom of the recipe it says you may make ahead and refrigerate. When would you refrigerate? After punched down and shaped? Or punched down, shaped, and risen again? We'll be baking them in about 18 hours. Thanks!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I've got some roll dough rising - my great grandmother's recipe...at the bottom of the recipe it says you may make ahead and refrigerate. When would you refrigerate? After punched down and shaped? Or punched down, shaped, and risen again? We'll be baking them in about 18 hours. Thanks!
I would wait for it to rise a second time before you refrigerate. This isn't something that I normally do, so I can't really give the best advice. When I bread make I tend to throw it in the oven right away because I'm impatient. LOL

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I would wait for it to rise a second time before you refrigerate. This isn't something that I normally do, so I can't really give the best advice. When I bread make I tend to throw it in the oven right away because I'm impatient. LOL
That makes sense. We have to travel tomorrow and take the dinner with us. So I've made a lot of it and frozen it beforehand.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a cool idea Lookingglass! Have fun with your day, everyone.

(There will be a small dinner party in Limerick, Ireland, celebrating the holiday, too.)

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, good luck with your first crack at Thanksgiving dinner, I am sure it will go off without a Bit..I mean a hitch...

Seriously though, you will do great...I on the other hand..cannot cook to save a life so I'm glad I'm not in your shoes today

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My birds are still frozen and it's 9:30 am. I'm letting them sit out for the rest of the day.

We are now starting the roux for the gravy.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My birds are still frozen and it's 9:30 am. I'm letting them sit out for the rest of the day.

We are now starting the roux for the gravy.
Rut-roh...your birds are still frozen? You're going to be eating really, REALLY late, methinks...

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Naw, they'll thaw out in time. Those cornish hens are so little!