Maine Coon?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linglish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She loves her Tuxedo- it hides the rolls! (lol!) AND it's only natural that such a natural entertainer would wear a tux.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beautiful kitty, not sure on the breed though!

Originally Posted by Persi

Personally, I do not know but, is that a tuxedo that cat is wearing?

catmeister

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cute cat!
My cat is a main coon so maybe I can help you. MC's have very particular character traits...almost canine in fact....for example they seem to be like guard cats, they hate the postman, in fact mine waits for the post to drop thru so she can start to attack it, they are very territorial, they are also very good hunters. Also another MC trait is they love to talk (cat talk of course)

Now anyone can say their cat does the above too...but Main's are also very big and stocky animals, they look fat but in fact they are heavy boned and long haired. Also their faces tend to be more rounded than pointy.

Maybe your cat is part MC???

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Main traits are round eyes, and tufts of hair on the tips of their ears and on their paws between their toes. Their tails are way bushy, and the under coat is longer than the top.

Distinctive sound too, not a "meow", more of a high pitched chirp ..lol

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's very pretty! Kinda looks like a longhaired version of my cat:
http://files.dogster.com/pix/cats/40...1163538214.jpg
Sneakers also has a full tuxedo, including what looks like a vest, and a cummerbund! She also has a moustache. Too bad she's a girl.

I'd guess your cat's a large DLH rather than a Maine Coon mix, but it's very hard to say for sure...

Just wanted to add this photo of a tuxedo Maine Coon:
http://www.koontyme.com/cat_images/woopie.jpg

(this is the mother of the kitten I am getting next month!)

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it depends on where in the bloodline the maine coon is as to how many obvious traits you will see. I never would have pegged Kirra to have maine coon in her line but the vet informed us last visit that she does. Based on her bone structure(the skull alone has a distinctive trait) how fast she is growing and certain areas of her body that have long hair (she has normal sized ears but they have the tufts of hair , the backs of her legs have the hair and her underbelly has the longer hair and its very very soft compared to the rest of her body). He said that its probley 2-3 generations back but its there enough for her to have the elongated body. She is only 6 months old and already almost 9lbs and is already well over 30inches fron the tip of her nose to the tip of her tail (i will have to get hub to help me do an exact measure, she was still a bit srunched).

So when in doubt as your vet, they should be able to tell.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO he's a mix - probably no maine coon that I can see. Technically he's a black/white bicolor. The term "tuxedo" should not be used as people think its a breed or color....lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linglish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your help everyone. I told Kina that you all think she's beautiful, and now she's walking around here with a HUGE head.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually say "tuxedo" instead of "bicolor" because people just give me funny looks if I say "bicolor" (they have no idea what I mean!) Either that or they think of a different pattern when I'm specifically talking about the type or markings that look ike the cat is wearing a tuxedo. :p

jensm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1/2 Maine Coon and they are very distinct breeds with very characteristic traits. They have tufts of hair between their paws and tufts of hair coming out from the ears. They like to help you with projects too. They have a large vocabulary of different meows and chirps. The vet could probably tell you though. My vet figured my cat out, all I knew at first was that he was very large and had a very bold personality. One of the best cats I've ever owned as far as a loyal friend.

rina_marie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone, I'm new here and was just browsing some of the posts and thought I'd reply to this one. My husband and I have two purebred male Maine Coons and it's my guess that your kitty is either a mix or a DLH. Here is a website that might help you to determine whether or not your cat has MC character traits.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dirigo3/ismy.html

Hope this helps!

Rina

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ive been wondering the same thing about Chloe. one vet said MC, the other said siberian. i think she's a MC.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...loves%20chloe/

some of the pictures are from when she was a kitten and others are dark cuz my camera is crappy. feel free to admire patches too. she has her own folder. we think shes a Wegie but its hard to tell from her pics. she has extremely curly belly hair and is soft like chenille whereas chloe is a little coarse with smoother hair.

enjoy admiring my babies!

sorry i cant get thie link thingy to work for me