My FI and I are both allergic to cats. He used to be worse off -- he'd be stuffed up, red-eyed and itchy-skinned within minutes -- but after six years of living with a variety of cats, he seems to have developed a tolerance for them and now only occasionally has problems (usually when there are already other things bothering his allergies, like ragweed or dust). For me, I find my allergies aren't so bad at all, except that sometimes if I'm petting my cats and then touch my eye, or get cat fur in my eye, my eyes will get red and very, very itchy, and will have to be flushed with water. Also, although I normally heal quite quickly from most cuts and scrapes (which is a good thing, because I'm incredibly clumsy), it takes me longer to heal from cat scratches or bites, no matter how well I clean out the wounds. Part of it is due to the bacteria in the cat's mouths and on their claws, and part of it is due to my allergies. The only scars I have are from animal bites or scratches.