Oh no!-I'm coming down with a horrible cold!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The day before Thanksgiving and I feel like doggie-do-do.
I am so sore and headachy, coughing, sore throat....arrrgghhh...just my luck.
I hope I feel better tomorrow cause I don't want to miss Thanksgiving. It's the first Thanksgiving in 25 years that I will be having with my grandparents. They've been in Florida for the holidays for 25 years and now they live here with us and I want so bad to go.
Problem is even if I feel a little better, I'm not even sure I should because my grandfathers immune system is very weak right now......I don't know what to do.

This sucks....

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know exactly how you feel. I have been fighting a sore throat for a few days. It got really bad this afternoon and I went to the doctor. She doesn't know what I have because strep test was negative but my throat is in bad shape. I had a temp. of 96.7 when I was at the doctor. I couldn't get warm... came home and took a nap and woke up with a temp of 102.5
I don't know what to do about Thanksgiving either. I don't want to get everyone else sick, but I hate the thought of staying home all alone

Let's just hope by some miracle we are both feeling 100% in the morning

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

The day before Thanksgiving and I feel like doggie-do-do.
I am so sore and headachy, coughing, sore throat....arrrgghhh...just my luck.
I hope I feel better tomorrow cause I don't want to miss Thanksgiving. It's the first Thanksgiving in 25 years that I will be having with my grandparents. They've been in Florida for the holidays for 25 years and now they live here with us and I want so bad to go.
Problem is even if I feel a little better, I'm not even sure I should because my grandfathers immune system is very weak right now......I don't know what to do.

This sucks....
Mix vinegar and honey in equal proportions. Take a tablespoon every hour. It will help the sore throat.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Do you think you could have the flu? Either way, I hope you feel better, FAST, and hope you have a happy Thanksgiving!

MargeCat

P.S.--This is meant as a reply to Squirtle, sorry! Thought I was replying to your post...

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww I hope you feel better by tomorrow. A similar thing is happening with me, my boyfriend has been sick for the past few days. I'm really hoping that I don't come down with it tomorrow. Plus he needs to get better. He's suppose to be having Thanksgiving dinner with my family. But just like your grandfather mine also has a week immune system. I can't risk bringing him if he's still sick.
I really hope that you and him are both better by tomorrow!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I swear by Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger tea, 1 cup every few hours. Also, garlic, honey (a teaspoon in tea), lemons, and drinking 2 tablespoons of vinegar, preferably cider vinegar, in an 8 oz. glass of water 2-3 times a day. sounds disguting, but I find it helps sore throats, colds, and the flu. Eat foods rich in vitamin C--orange juice, red peppers, etc. (the roasted red peppers that come in a jar, in olive oil, feel sooo good going down a sore throat, and they are packed with vitamin C). I did these things when I had a cold earlier in the month, and it seemed to really help (I can't take cold meds.)

Hope you're all better soon!

MargeCat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Thanksgiving all - and unfortunately I feel worse today. I will be "drugging" myself up and staying as far away from my grandfather as possible. My parents have mentioned possibly wearing a mask as well.
It just sucks so much that I've been helping my mom plan for this for a month now and have been waiting 25 years to have a family dinner like this and I can't even enjoy it.

I hope everyone elses day goes a little better than mine....

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry that you were feeling icky!! Most years I've been sick over Thanksgiving. It sucks! Two years in a row DH went to his moms when I was real sick and brought me a plate back only for him to still get to eat the plate too cuz I was still sick!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear you are sick on a holiday
It sounds to me like you have the flu.

Difference between Cold and Flue

More detailed explanation

Flu can be deadly to an elderly person, especially one who is not well, which by the sounds of things your grandfather isn't. I'd suggest staying away from him until you are better. Flu is very contagious and it's wise to keep to yourself while you have one so you don't infect everyone else.

Several years ago I was sick on Christmas and New Years. I had the measles for the 3rd time in my life. I'm one of the rare few that hasn't developed a complete immunity to it.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no. Sorry to hear that you are sick.
Hope you get well soon! My best friend has been sick for over a week, and finally went to the Dr on Tuesday and found out shes got pneumonia.....and still today after being on meds for 3 days, she still feels icky..

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zicam works wonders for colds. I've been using it for years and swear by it. If you take it as soon as you feel you're coming down with a cold, it can knock it right out within a couple days. Or if you take it a few days after the cold starts, it lessens symptoms and the cold lasts less time. I've found that the Zicam nasal swabs work the best.