Question For Siamese Breeders/Owner Please

laylasmybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to get some information on "traditional" Siamese. I think they are called "appleheads?"

Can anyone here tell me what their personality TENDS to be like, I know every kitty baby is different. How they get along with other pets. How they interact with people. Do they generally pick one person to bond to or an entire family? What kind of routine care, if any, do they need? Do they come to you or do you generally have to go to them? Do they have medical issues generally that are unique to their breed? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thats my mutt siamese.
I've raised a few different types of kitten in my days and there is no other breed like a siamese-ish...and my cat is mixed so i can imagine what a pure breed is like.
Stewie is very independent, likes to play with other cats but prefers to play alone. He favors dan over me and cuddles only when he wants to. He has a butt load of energy and is way more active than any cat I have ever owned. He can be a handful but he is for sure a special cat. Thats why I love his silly little but!

Any siamese owner here would say go for it! they are beautiful cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laylasmybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
EricaNicole and gayef, I really appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Erica, your baby is gorgeous and gayef, thank you so much for the link to the information thread. Lots of good stuff there.

jenny & nikko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there i have a traditional applehead balanese cat. they are the longer haired version of a siamese. if you want to know about the personality, they love to be around you, sit quietly in your lap, they are very bright as well. my nikko just one day started using to toilet! these cats are vocal just like the siamese but not as loud or whiney as the siamese can be. they are also very active cats and will get into everything. i haven't had any health problems come up yet. nikko is now 21/2. he is so friendly with everyone, he loves to sit and bask in attention where ever he can get it! he has never played rough or bit anyone. i think this would be a very good breed around children, my friends kids have been around and will play with him and he's always good no matter how rough they could get.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have Siamese cats. Our animals are very playful, friendly and energetic. They love being held and pet. And they also like greeting our visitors when they come over. They do well with each other and our domestic shorthair. They do exellent with our children as well. We have a Siamese that has bonded with my husband more so then with anyone else, but she if friendly with the other people in the house. For the most part I don't think our other Siamese have a preference. Our cats come to us. They have their regular vet visits, I brush them regularly and cut there nails. They have shorthair so that is about the extent of it. Obviously I'm a big fan, but they do have wonderful personalities that make them hard to resist. It becomes a challenge to have just one.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure that this will be of any use because my crossbreed cat has both cornish rex and siamese in him so it's difficult to work out what traits come from where - but he's very very active and playful, runs very fast, very athletic and likes climbing and jumping, very affectionate when he takes a break from playing - usually 20 minutes intense cuddling and headbutting and then off investigating something, friendly with everyone, very bold and unafraid, has to investigate anything new, very curious and nosy. Love him to bits.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ep,

Actually all that Radar does comes from BOTH breeds - they are similar in appearance and type, so you can't really separate out which he's taken from each parent.

I've never felt a cornie/siamese mix (showed/bred cornies) so is their fur any different then a siamese. Is it any softer like the cornish would have?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Ep,

Actually all that Radar does comes from BOTH breeds - they are similar in appearance and type, so you can't really separate out which he's taken from each parent.

I've never felt a cornie/siamese mix (showed/bred cornies) so is their fur any different then a siamese. Is it any softer like the cornish would have?
It is short and straight, so is like the siamese in that respect, but very very soft, a slightly different texture than most cat fur. Radar's fur is slightly longer than his mum's (his dad was normal black and white DSH), but still extremely soft, not quite the same texture as most shorthair cats. He was fuzzier when he was a baby of course, but his adult fur is so soft it is like stroking a baby rabbit.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew he'd be straight coated and expected the texture to be a little different - just more curious. The texture comes from the rex side. Any rex crossed with another cat (non-rex) will be straight coated. But Radar is carrying the rex gene - if he had been bred to a cornish rex, you would get 50/50 on curly coats

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I knew he'd be straight coated and expected the texture to be a little different - just more curious. The texture comes from the rex side. Any rex crossed with another cat (non-rex) will be straight coated. But Radar is carrying the rex gene - if he had been bred to a cornish rex, you would get 50/50 on curly coats
Cool, the rex gene in the Cornish Rex is recessive then?

I am hoping that Nate does not read this about the possibility that Radar could have produced some curly kittens, he got a bit misty-eyed when Radar was neutered (men
)

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Cool, the rex gene in the Cornish Rex is recessive then?

I am hoping that Nate does not read this about the possibility that Radar could have produced some curly kittens, he got a bit misty-eyed when Radar was neutered (men
)
LOL! My husband was the same way when we got Duke neutered! He kept asking the vet techs if Duke would "miss them". He even asked about 'neuticles'!!! LOL! Men is right!